Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

paudie051 wrote: »
    Hi Blackdog,

That milk replacer sounds great. Can i ask where you source it from?Or its name to see if it can be available here. or even shipped here. Never used a calf jacket, another investment I need to make.

I thought there was no licenced killer of crypto and that Halocur was the only licenced treatment.

The calved certainly dont like drinking the C Guard all i know.

Thanks everyone

I use an acidifier in the milk if you dissolve it in a small bit of warm water prior to adding to the milk it may help. Whole milk I'm feeding. It's only a scoop per gallon I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paudie051

Hi Moo,

We use milk replacer - Heflac.

used to use Maverick but moved as we were told Heflac is better for the calves.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi Paudie. One thing I changed this year was giving Parofor for 4 days instead of Halocur for 7. I was getting another sachet of it today and the vet was saying Parofor is flying off the shelves and they are returning a load of Halocur (which has gone up in price since last year too) because only a few are using it.

Keep calves on milk if you can unless they are very scoury and feed electrolytes 3-4 times a day along with their normal milk feeding. Any calf that's sick will have to be taken off milk alright but most will recover while on milk and thrive better after while kept on milk.

There's no magic bullet for this disease just changing your management around until you find a routine that works for your calves.

Keep us poster on how you're getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Where do you put last year's calves during the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Get kaolin into the feed at least a cupfull , protects the gut and dries them up so they're not squirting pure water every time they move , plenty of experience with crypto and rotavirus and have found halocur , kaolin , and effedryal the most effective .I know its expensive but double up on effedryal if its needed.
    vircon-s is a good disinfectant.
    Don't be shy with the kaolin to the point the mix starts to thicken a bit

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Where do you put last year's calves during the winter?

A seperate double shed

Hi Paudie. One thing I changed this year was giving Parofor for 4 days instead of Halocur for 7. I was getting another sachet of it today and the vet was saying Parofor is flying off the shelves and they are returning a load of Halocur (which has gone up in price since last year too) because only a few are using it.

Keep calves on milk if you can unless they are very scoury and feed electrolytes 3-4 times a day along with their normal milk feeding. Any calf that's sick will have to be taken off milk alright but most will recover while on milk and thrive better after while kept on milk.

There's no magic bullet for this disease just changing your management around until you find a routine that works for your calves.

Keep us poster on how you're getting on.

Does anyone know where stocks parafor in the meath cavan louth area. Ive called numerous vets trying to source and none do it. Seems the most popular thing to help the calves along

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Hi Blackdog,

That milk replacer sounds great. Can i ask where you source it from?Or its name to see if it can be available here. or even shipped here. Never used a calf jacket, another investment I need to make.

I thought there was no licenced killer of crypto and that Halocur was the only licenced treatment.

The calved certainly dont like drinking the C Guard all i know.

Thanks everyone

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Hi,

First time posting here but we are being hounded with Crypto for the past few years. Probably in the last 3 years we have had 50 calf deaths with it. This year it is at 10 but we have another 4 not great.

We give the calves Halocur for 12 days after birith at the recomended dose, we have started using milkshake an additive into the milk replacer to help battle the damn disease.

Our vet has advised that we take the calf off the cow immediately after calving and bag the calf 4 litres of Colustrum. Then start the halocur treatment straight after. We are kinda against this as we like to leave the calf on the cow for a few days. Anyone else given this advice?

Also said if the calf is sick with it give them eggs as a source of energy- anyone else do this?

I have a full time job and do not have much spare time and I do the milking in the evenings which kill most of the time.. The sheds are not as clean as i would like them but I am trying my best to increase the number of times I clear out the bedding etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am really sick of the calves dying.

Regards
    Padraic

Eggs may be a good source of energy but an egg from a free range hen on your own farm was described to me by an experienced vet as a hand grenade of antibodies against diseases present on your farm. Googled it and sure enough eggs are used in the preparation of vaccines.
    Got crypto here over 20 years ago and lost a good few calves the first year with it, not so bad the next year and still get a few with it, mostly the later calves, usually treat it with electrolytes and get over it after a few days. I think over time a certain amount of immunity builds up against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I wouldn't wish crypto on my worst enemy. I no a dairy lad whose vet told him give the calves port wine for a couple of days and it worked. I have sucklers so it wasn't practical and I'd to suffer on.
    Hi,

First time posting here but we are being hounded with Crypto for the past few years. Probably in the last 3 years we have had 50 calf deaths with it. This year it is at 10 but we have another 4 not great.

We give the calves Halocur for 12 days after birith at the recomended dose, we have started using milkshake an additive into the milk replacer to help battle the damn disease.

Our vet has advised that we take the calf off the cow immediately after calving and bag the calf 4 litres of Colustrum. Then start the halocur treatment straight after. We are kinda against this as we like to leave the calf on the cow for a few days. Anyone else given this advice?

Also said if the calf is sick with it give them eggs as a source of energy- anyone else do this?

I have a full time job and do not have much spare time and I do the milking in the evenings which kill most of the time.. The sheds are not as clean as i would like them but I am trying my best to increase the number of times I clear out the bedding etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am really sick of the calves dying.

Regards
    Padraic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

whelan2 wrote: »
    I only found out a few years after using it. Its on the leaflet that no one reads in the box

But problem is cow's antibody levels drop off a cliff after 4 days so your depending on an increasing number of calvings with a constant stream of milk .

Wheels fall of wagon at this time of year when calvings are spread out .
    Have stored some 2nd milkings but this is not practical on a big scale

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tail painter

I know a farmer who gives one 5ml dose jeyes fluid in 50ml water for crypto. He swears by it but it doesn't make sense since jeyes fluid is not rated to kill crypto. It would be a cheap option if it worked.
    Also what is so special about vitalife? It is pretty much the same ingredients as all other electrolytes. We tried it here and didn't get good results - we had to tube all calves because the didn't like it.

I know a farmer who gives one 5ml dose jeyes fluid in 50ml water for crypto. He swears by it but it doesn't make sense since jeyes fluid is not rated to kill crypto. It would be a cheap option if it worked. Also what is so special about vitalife? It is pretty much the same ingredients as all other electrolytes. We tried it here and didn't get good results - we had to tube all calves because the didn't like it.

Were all saying what works for us might not work for you. Vitalife has ingredients to balance ph in the stomach...90% of electrolyte don't have this. I'll try and post pics of calves that have been on my routine so you can see.

Pictures of calves that had were on halacour and French Milk replacer with EMX in it

Jacket was for a weak heifer calf , that had a poor suck from birth but is flying now. I have a crypto problem on the farm but its not effecting me so bad since i switched routines. Calves 2-3 weeks old when photo was taken.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149363923@N05/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know a farmer who gives one 5ml dose jeyes fluid in 50ml water for crypto. He swears by it but it doesn't make sense since jeyes fluid is not rated to kill crypto. It would be a cheap option if it worked.
    Also what is so special about vitalife? It is pretty much the same ingredients as all other electrolytes. We tried it here and didn't get good results - we had to tube all calves because the didn't like it.
    Our vey says jeyes fluid is the kill or cure treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Kenocox is certified to kill Crypto and Coxi, but it does.nt kill the likes of ecoli, so we were told to disinfect twice.
    We wash down to the bare cement (have a turbo lance on the washer, which is well worth the few bob it cost).
    Then disinfect with sergene. Leave overnight if possible. Then with Kenocox. So far so good.....

Its gas really, one vet says use eggs, the other says its a hand granade. Its like the old saying...
    Doctors differ and patients die.....so if we change it to Vets differ and calfs die....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Have any of ye come accross the scour testing kits. Take a tiny spoonful of poo from near calfs rectum, and use
    directions given. Tests for Rota, Coxi, Crypto and Corona. Results in 10 mins. Called Rainbow testing kits. We got
    a couple free from a Rep, but I know our vet is using the same kits to check poo samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Lost 25 calves one year with crypto.
    Steam cleaned shed with sorgene disinfectant. Got a product called crypto. caps. Every calf gets 2 of them. No more crypto!!!
    Also, don't be mean with the straw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Where would ye get steam cleaners? I rang all the tool hire places around but none of them do them. I was going to dream clean a few sheds this year before calving, some have old rough concrete walls with plenty of holes and bumps, but couldn't find one. Touch wood so far we are clear, 3/4 calved. The weather couldn't be better though.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

I have got loads of new products and our latest batch is healthy.

I am using parofor, encrypt from mervue labs - very good product, crypo caps only bought these last week - have not used these yet. Found parofor really hard to source up here in meath. Rang 10+ vets and none stocked it at all.

I have quit using halocur also.

Also bought kenocox to disinfect shed - havent got an opportunity to do this yet but calves are now in a different location and the latest batch are all good.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Regards
    Padraic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Padraic,
    I was thinking about your predicament only yesterday. The calves that got Crypto of which cows were they, homebred or those bought in?
    It could be 2 different scenarios
    A - you had crypto all along but the new cows hadn't the beastings strong enough to deal with it. So their calves got sick.
    B - The bought in cows had it and your own cows hadn't the immunity to deal with it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Padraic,
    I was thinking about your predicament only yesterday. The calves that got Crypto of which cows were they, homebred or those bought in?
    It could be 2 different scenarios
    A - you had crypto all along but the new cows hadn't the beastings strong enough to deal with it. So their calves got sick.
    B - The bought in cows had it and your own cows hadn't the immunity to deal with it.

Hi patsy,

We have a mixture of homebred and bought in. Personally i reckon its the bought in cows that caused the issue.

We had one dead this morning but he has been sick the last few weeks so he must not have hae the strength to fight it off.

Touch wood that the new items we have in helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

A few mentioned using hydrogen peroxide on here for disinfecting against crypto.
    The product I bought is 6%.
    For footbaths, washing feeding equipment is this to be further diluted down. If so anyone know the mixing rate.

C4d78 wrote:
    A few mentioned using hydrogen peroxide on here for disinfecting against crypto. The product I bought is 6%. For footbaths, washing feeding equipment is this to be further diluted down. If so anyone know the mixing rate.

6% is fine. That's what I use. I paid €60 euro for a 25 litre drum of 35% . Be careful some companies will fleece you for it. First place I went to wanted €100 a litre for 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

blackdog1 wrote: »
    6% is fine. That's what I use. I paid €60 euro for a 25 litre drum of 35% . Be careful some companies will fleece you for it. First place I went to wanted €100 a litre for 50%

Only got a 5L. Will do me for this yr. Could you DM me where you got the 25L maybe for next year.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Maybe stupid question, would water quality play apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Hey guys anyone using keifir? Just starting trying it on one calf with crypto. Seems to be working gave him a dose on Thursday and no powder or tablets and another one today and no scour and he was scouring for the past 2 weeks. Just interested if anyone's been using it longer and is it worth it or just the calf has finally decided to kick it himself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SKIPPY150

got a roasting with crypto last year, lost a load of calves .This year Plastered all the walls in the caf sheds and calving pens. disinfect regularlywith kenocox.
    didnt find halocure any good ,using stuff called cryptonite this year and it seems to be working a treat, its powder that you mix with the milk, getting it in glanbia. So far have lost no calves to scours and all calves seem to be thriving well touchwood:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a replacement calf showing a little scour, maybe it's just adjusting to cow milk, but I'm weary it could be crypto.
    Vet has halacur & also Bimadine powder.
    Has anyone used Bimadine & what did the think of it.
    Use a white powder in the past, can't think what its called, comes in a big bag & you give it over 5 days

Advertisement