Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Nurse looses claim against DB

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

john boye wrote: »
    All the reports I've seen on it quote him as calling her a "f***ing skankhole"?

That's what she says when in reality it should say bus driver asked your one to pick up her litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

That's what she says when in reality it should say bus driver asked your one to pick up her litter.

From everything I've read, the fact that he called her a "f***ing skankhole" isn't in doubt. It's the connotations of the term that he was in court for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Bus drivers have to put up with so much crap.

A coach driver I know on a BE school run, private driver, tried enforcing the rule (clearly outlined on a list sent home to parents) that food and drink were banned on the busses

This company's a well regarded brand known for high quality busses and has a great reputation. The owner/operator made the rule because it was costing him a fortune to re-upholster seats and replace covers with mashed in crisps, tears, spills one time a bottle rolled up front nearly going under the brake pedal.

He'd hire these busses out for weddings and company outings so mashed up food and torn seats and sticky floors don't go well with getting you repeat business

The driver asked he to put her crisps away until she was home. The most dull reasonable request imaginable, reminding her it was against the rules. She refused several times before putting them away

Keep in mind for later she'd been giggling and laughing and he asked her "did you not eat a lunch only 2-3 hours ago?" She said yes but was "peckish"
    So he thinks no more of it. Next day his boss comes in to tell him there's been a complaint, apparently already knowing it's veracity "did you stop a child having a diabetic episode from eating?"
    "No if a child was having a diabetic anything I'd have called the medics to be on the safe side"
    "Something about a packet of crisps?"
    "Salted potato chips with no sugars help a diabetic episode??"
    "I don't know but she's going mental"

Later that week the girls "diabetic episode" and the sinister driver who didn't care if she slipped into a coma was front page in the local paper, he nor the company were called for comment or their side as journalist ethics requires maybe expecting too much from those Micky mouse papers. The picture of angry mammy beside girl with a bag of crisps biting into one was captioned "(name) takes a bite on a life saving crisp".

"Salted potato chips with no sugars help a diabetic episode??"

Carbs
    Treating an episode of hypoglycaemia

The immediate treatment for hypoglycaemia is to have some sugary food or drink (about 15 to 20g of rapidly acting carbohydrate) to end the attack.

For example, this could be:
    •a glass of fruit juice or non-diet soft drink
    •between three and five dextrose tablets
    •a handful of sweets

After having something sugary, you should have a longer-acting carbohydrate food, such as a few biscuits, a cereal bar, a piece of fruit or a sandwich.

or she was heading it off before it happened - no point waiting till your imaginary bus runs out of diesel and stops on the road before you refill it

You could email and ask Theresa May, y'know PM of that big country next door with the nuclear weapons - she has Type 1 diabetes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gctest50 wrote: »
    Carbs

Crisps are not a fast-acting carbohydrate.

Local newspapers are particularly bad for the not refusing ink problem. Likely didn't even verify if the child *was* diabetic let alone look in to the story.

Keep in mind for later she'd been giggling and laughing .......

Maybe she gets gelastic seizures

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Crisps are not a fast-acting carbohydrate.....

.After having something sugary, you should have a longer-acting carbohydrate food, such as a few biscuits, a cereal bar, a piece of fruit or a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

john boye wrote: »
    From everything I've read, the fact that he called her a "f***ing skankhole" isn't in doubt. It's the connotations of the term that he was in court for.

Sticks and stones...generation snowflake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

.After having something sugary, you should have a longer-acting carbohydrate food, such as a few biscuits, a cereal bar, a piece of fruit or a sandwich.

Still doesn't meet the requirements for that. Too small for one.

Having had to be able of dealing with nearly anyone from my mothers genetically doomed side of the family having a hypo since I was a kid, I don't need to have the same lines re-quoted at me - particularly when they clearly don't apply.

I'd take a guess that the kid doesn't even have diabetes and the mother just doesn't like the idea of anyone else telling her what to do. Extremely common now. If you've ever worked in retail or customer care you'll see that people lie all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

all that said, are you saying the bus driver acted incorrectly? if the girl did not tell him she was diabetic, what's he to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Haven't heard that particular expression either. Seen plenty of skanks in Dublin, I'm assuming a skankhole is where they reside?

Next to the gloryhole? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

There is nowhere in the article that says the Court found as a matter of fact the driver actually called her that, so the headline should have used the word "allegedly". He could probably sue the Journal for saying that he did.

Secondly, she didn't deny dropping her rubbish. People like that deserve to be called anything on God's green Earth in my opinion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

thebiglad wrote: »
    This was the Civil Court, a Barrister is required. A Solicitor can represent you in District Court only. Take it to High Court and you can add a Senior Counsel to the list of requirements and fees.

A solicitor is entitled to represent a client in all courts. Some have done so. Have done so myself in some particular matters.
    It is more usual for the solicitor to brief a barrister who has the appropriate experience and speciality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

everlast75 wrote: »
    There is nowhere in the article that says the Court found as a matter of fact the driver actually called her that, so the headline should have used the word "allegedly". He could probably sue the Journal for saying that he did.

Secondly, she didn't deny dropping her rubbish. People like that deserve to be called anything on God's green Earth in my opinion

We must have read different articles so:
    Circuit Court President, Justice Raymond Groarke, said the court was satisfied the driver had made the remarks complained of.

While that description does not use the word "fact", that the court was "satisfied" as to the veracity of the claim that the words were used is equivalent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

cython wrote: »
    We must have read different articles so:

While that description does not use the word "fact", that the court was "satisfied" as to the veracity of the claim that the words were used is equivalent here.

didn't see that - agreed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Could DB go back and look for costs or does 'making no order as to costs mean that is the end of the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Could DB go back and look for costs or does 'making no order as to costs mean that is the end of the matter?

AFAIK it means they weren't requested. There seems to be a trend (i.e. I've seen it twice and jumped to a conclusion) that if an appeal is made costs are awarded if the appeal goes againt the plaintiff. This saves DB a huge amount in costs rather than them being awarded for what could potentially be one JC in the Curcuit (and the court fees ofc.). DB will have solicitors anyway.

If it went to the High Court they'd have hugely increased costs and all the orders in the world can't get blood from a skankhole stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AFAIK it means they weren't requested.

I think in this case it was because the judge found that the driver did hurl the claimed insult at the plaintiff so DB wasn't completely innocent and were probably made to bear their own costs as a result.

But otherwise you are correct, there are cases where the winning side does not ask for costs, this is usually where they are happy to win a case which will have positive implications for future situations. The recent case of the child who fell and broke her leg during a game of chase in a playground at a Blackrock school is an example. The school's insurance company was probably delighted to win the case and did not ask for costs even though the plaintiff didn't get a cent.

Judge dismisses €38k claim after child fell playing chase in school yard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's shocking, no wonder health and safety has gone so heavy lately.

I assume in a few years we'll all have bubble wrapping around us to prevent us from the outside world?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's shocking, no wonder health and safety has gone so heavy lately.

I assume in a few years we'll all have bubble wrapping around us to prevent us from the outside world?

:rolleyes:

Every single thread.

:rolleyes:

Every single thread.

Do you not agree with that I said?

Yano, contribute and all?

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Do you not agree with that I said?

Yano, contribute and all?

I'll start when you do. :pac:

Joking aside you'll see that there has been a rather grown up discussion about this so far. Something rather refreshing on boards tbh. I might frequent this forum more often. I don't want to stray into backseat moding territory but IMHO this thread is about defamation. The post about the kid in the playground was to illustrate a point on costs. It would be really nice if we could avoid straying into this tired old cliché of compo culture.

Apologies for the off hand remark.

You sound like a truly pleasant person.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The reports suggest that the judge found his alleged words acceptable because she threw rubbish and he was reprimanding her for it.

Should DB staff be expected to police the throwing of litter outside the bus?

If so, does it allow them to speak to customers in terms that would be unacceptable while selling them a ticket?

Bray Head wrote: »
    The reports suggest that the judge found his alleged words acceptable because she threw rubbish and he was reprimanding her for it.

If so, does it allow them to speak to customers in terms that would be unacceptable while selling them a ticket?

You may - or may not - be conflating that with a defamatory statement. Should a 'word' be had by Dublin bus with their driver, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Carbs

or she was heading it off before it happened - no point waiting till your imaginary bus runs out of diesel and stops on the road before you refill it

You could email and ask Theresa May, y'know PM of that big country next door with the nuclear weapons - she has Type 1 diabetes

She hadn't eaten anything sweet

Regardless if you are diabetic you should be eating a proper lunch not waiting until an attack occurs

We know there was no attack because she didn't mention it on the bus she only made that up later

But it's nice to know there are plenty of gullible people still out there more than willing to fall for this

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bray Head wrote: »

I think Dublin bus are responsible for the upkeep of bus stops, so a dedicated employee would pull someone up on litter, diplomatically.

one time a bottle rolled up front nearly going under the brake pedal.

So if a sports bottle falls out of a kids bag and rolls forward - it can cause a serious crash ?

This is a very important safety issue

Some form of divider between the driver and the passengers needs to installed

This is what happens when braking goes wrong on a bus:

5 schoolgirls killed

Advertisement