Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Nurse looses claim against DB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Litter bug fits much better or dirt bird that would suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Can't understand why her solicitor took the case. On its face, it looks to be vulgar abuse which is not defamatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

LOL!

That's absolutely brilliant!

Elemonator wrote: »
    Can't understand why her solicitor took the case. On its face, it looks to be vulgar abuse which is not defamatory.

Solicitors advise, the punter takes the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be fair, every other claim for anything innocuous seems to be getting granted :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

A rare victory for common sense in the courts.

Haven't heard that particular expression either. Seen plenty of skanks in Dublin, I'm assuming a skankhole is where they reside?

A rare victory for common sense in the courts.

Haven't heard that particular expression either. Seen plenty of skanks in Dublin, I'm assuming a skankhole is where they reside?

Had a complaint years ago that I called a fool a parasite, funny thing is I've never said that word or even actually thought of calling someone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No order as to costs which means DB have to pay their own legal fees - no winners in this case. Judge Groarke can be a bit too generous for my liking in some PI cases (child suffers a trivial injury in a playground - gets a five figure sum, that sort of thing) but I'm glad to see he put his foot firmly on the brakes here.

You have to assume that a private citizen could not risk taking a large company to the Circuit Court with a flimsy case like this so I would assume that it was taken on a 'no foal, no fee' basis in which case she gets off with a case of mild embarrassment and the other parties pick up the tab.

So all of us commuters will end up paying for this charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

(Deleted -multiple posts for some reason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Should be fined for littering too

Bus drivers have to put up with so much crap.

A coach driver I know on a BE school run, private driver, tried enforcing the rule (clearly outlined on a list sent home to parents) that food and drink were banned on the busses

This company's a well regarded brand known for high quality busses and has a great reputation. The owner/operator made the rule because it was costing him a fortune to re-upholster seats and replace covers with mashed in crisps, tears, spills one time a bottle rolled up front nearly going under the brake pedal.

He'd hire these busses out for weddings and company outings so mashed up food and torn seats and sticky floors don't go well with getting you repeat business

The driver asked he to put her crisps away until she was home. The most dull reasonable request imaginable, reminding her it was against the rules. She refused several times before putting them away

Keep in mind for later she'd been giggling and laughing and he asked her "did you not eat a lunch only 2-3 hours ago?" She said yes but was "peckish"
    So he thinks no more of it. Next day his boss comes in to tell him there's been a complaint, apparently already knowing it's veracity "did you stop a child having a diabetic episode from eating?"
    "No if a child was having a diabetic anything I'd have called the medics to be on the safe side"
    "Something about a packet of crisps?"
    "Salted potato chips with no sugars help a diabetic episode??"
    "I don't know but she's going mental"

Later that week the girls "diabetic episode" and the sinister driver who didn't care if she slipped into a coma was front page in the local paper, he nor the company were called for comment or their side as journalist ethics requires maybe expecting too much from those Micky mouse papers. The picture of angry mammy beside girl with a bag of crisps biting into one was captioned "(name) takes a bite on a life saving crisp".

(Deleted)

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    (Deleted)

What's deleted the training nurse?????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

coylemj wrote: »
    No order as to costs which means DB have to pay their own legal fees - no winners in this case. Judge Groarke can be a bit too generous for my liking in some PI cases (child suffers a trivial injury in a playground - gets a five figure sum, that sort of thing) but I'm glad to see he put his foot firmly on the brakes here.

You have to assume that a private citizen could not risk taking a large company to the Circuit Court with a flimsy case like this so I would assume that it was taken on a 'no foal, no fee' basis in which case she gets off with a case of mild embarrassment and the other parties pick up the tab.

So all of us commuters will end up paying for this charade.

DB probably have their own legal staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

n97 mini wrote: »
    DB probably have their own legal staff.

Who work for free??

What about Barristers and other Court expenses.

Too many cases where claimant's get to roll the dice, lose and end up with no costs order - there needs to a downside, at the moment nothing to lose...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

thebiglad wrote: »
    Who work for free??

Too many cases where claimant's get to roll the dice, lose and end up with no costs order - there needs to a downside, at the moment nothing to lose...

But does she have to pick up her own costs???? Would they not be substantial?? Would her solicitor be at least out of pocket even on a 'no win- no fee' basis???

Who work for free??

They legal staff get paid regardless of what theyre doing!!!

Not necessary to employ a barrister, dunno if that was the case here!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

She should have a go at suing whoever is behind those "Litter is disgusting, so are those responsible" ads next!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I don't think a salaried barrister is allowed to appear in court, you have to be a freelancer. Solicitors who are fulltime employees are ok (as is the case with the state solicitors) but barristers have to be sole practitioners to have the right of audience.

The news article mentions Jeri Ward - 'counsel for Dublin Bus' which is this lady who would command a fee ....

https://www.lawlibrary.ie/members/Jeri-Ward/752.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

This was the Civil Court, a Barrister is required. A Solicitor can represent you in District Court only. Take it to High Court and you can add a Senior Counsel to the list of requirements and fees.

Masala wrote: »
    But does she have to pick up her own costs????

Technically yes but in practice no. I strongly suspect her only costs was the bus fare to the court.
    Would they not be substantial??

No, there was no injuries so no medical fees, hospital charges, scans etc. to be covered. If she had a barrister, it was probably also a 'no foal, no fee' arrangement, same as with the solicitor.
    Would her solicitor be at least out of pocket even on a 'no win- no fee' basis???

Yes, in relative terms he is probably the biggest loser in this case. But he/she probably picks up fees from other PI and opportunistic cases involving defendants with deep pockets.

This was the Civil Court, a Barrister is required. A Solicitor can represent you in District Court only. Take it to High Court and you can add a Senior Counsel to the list of requirements and fees.

I am almost sure solicitors have rights of audience in the Superior Courts.

A SC is not necessary for the High Court. Only 12.5% of barristers are SC. I've seen many junior counsels in the Courts. Many go through their careers without even reaching SC.

I am almost sure solicitors have rights of audience in the Superior Courts.

A SC is not necessary for the High Court. Only 12.5% of barristers are SC. I've seen many junior counsels in the Courts. Many go through their careers without even reaching SC.

They do but almost never exercise it AFAIK. Legal aid allows for a Junior only in the Circuit, a senior in the High Court. I'm not saying she had legal aid but these thing tend to set the norm. + 1 on the JC remaining as such, I know one with 20 odd years experience running cases in the HC alone.

No jury and 75K so I assume this was circuit?

They do but almost never exercise it AFAIK. Legal aid allows for a Junior only in the Circuit, a senior in the High Court. I'm not saying she had legal aid but these thing tend to set the norm. + 1 on the JC remaining as such, I know one with 20 odd years experience running cases in the HC alone.

No jury and 75K so I assume this was circuit?

+1 on never exercising it. I have only seen two and that was quite recently (the Mother and Baby homes records recovery) and myself, though I am not qualified yet.

I think it was Circuit Court, Justice Groarke is the President of the Circuit Court.

A barrister is not required in the circuit court. As I said above I don't know the details of this particular case.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/civil_law/civil_bill.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭john boye

Even if he was technically right in what he said I assume the driver would surely have questions to answer with DB in relation to the language he used addressing a customer?

john boye wrote: »
    Even if he was technically right in what he said I assume the driver would surely have questions to answer with DB in relation to the language he used addressing a customer?

He didn't use any language apart from pick up your rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭john boye

He didn't use any language apart from pick up your rubbish.

All the reports I've seen on it quote him as calling her a "f***ing skankhole"?

Advertisement