Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Agree with the above poster....it's a huge and sprawled out city...not walkable from the outskirts...have a look at any hotels by Rossio square...you're smack bang in the middle of everything then and can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

nice one, myself and the better have are heading Thursday morning until Monday. We've actually staying about 5 minutes from Praca do Comercio.

really looking forward to it now especially with the weather forecast.

If anything right now we've too many recommendations from friends who've been and research I've done online.

Have to spend some time doing up some sort of itinerary tonight and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Had a lovely trip away with the OH after. We air b & b'd it in the Mouraria district which was an ideal size for the both of us, modern and within walking distance of everything (although up a steep hill). I would echo previous recommendations of trying to locate yourself near Rossio Square as its more accessible in terms of gradient etc.

As for the city itself, I cannot fault anything. Food is largely very good and generally a lot cheaper than here. The delicacy salted cod has to be sampled. We went to the Time Out Market on one of the afternoon's- well worth the visit. In terms of "sights", the Castle Sao Jorge is amazing, particularly around sundown, while the Belem Tower and Monument of the Discoveries are must-sees as well. We rather crazily decided to "trek" up to Barrio Alto one of the nights to sample the nightlife- it puts Dublin to shame in terms of atmosphere, drink prices and whatever.

But Sintra was my favourite. Absolutely fabulous town about 30-40 minutes away by train (tickets very reasonably priced too). The palace was a highlight, as was getting a tuk-tuk up to the top of the mountain it is located on :D

The only real downside was when we had an entire day to burn on the day we were flying home. Check-out from our apartment was at 11AM, and our flight wasn't till 10PM, so we hoped to store our luggage in one of the locker areas of a train station and go to Cascais for the day. But the lockers were full in two of the stations we tried (Rossio and Cais de Sodre), so we had to bring it along with us. Was annoying and meant we couldn't really enjoy the beach there was much as we hoped to.

But one thing I will say- mid-20 heat in October is something I have never experienced and is entirely welcome :D

Great little city. Had a family bereavement in the lead-up, and was so close to pulling out, but was encouraged to go by all my family. Glad I did as it allowed me to totally switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

nice one, myself and the better have are heading Thursday morning until Monday. We've actually staying about 5 minutes from Praca do Comercio.

really looking forward to it now especially with the weather forecast.

If anything right now we've too many recommendations from friends who've been and research I've done online.

Have to spend some time doing up some sort of itinerary tonight and tomorrow

how was the trip? any recommendations? going in dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Going in a few weeks. Airbnb looks to be plentiful and good value. Any district in particular anyone would/would not recommend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mattser wrote: »
    Going in a few weeks. Airbnb looks to be plentiful and good value. Any district in particular anyone would/would not recommend ?

Sintra is a must. Visit Pena Palace and the Moorish Castle, they're brilliant.
    Lisbon Oceanarium is well worth a visit too.
    A city tram ride is a must, the drivers are pure mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Hoping to go to Lisbon sometime in late April. Looking at hotels at the moment near the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa 'University of Lisbon'. It's around 5km from Rossio Square, would that be okay location wise? How warm would it be that time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

avoid alfrigide

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Irish94 wrote: »
    Hoping to go to Lisbon sometime in late April. Looking at hotels at the moment near the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa 'University of Lisbon'. It's around 5km from Rossio Square, would that be okay location wise? How warm would it be that time of year?

Sounds far away from the centre. The metro system is great, but have you considered staying in the city centre?

Also, you can get some really nice apartments quite cheaply. I stayed in one near barrio alto.

Edit: the apartment I stayed in was in the Principe Real district, right around the corner from Rossio metro station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Belem is quite nice. We went to Nos Alive last year and stayed there. Its a cheap taxi journey from the city centre too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds far away from the centre. The metro system is great, but have you considered staying in the city centre?

Also, you can get some really nice apartments quite cheaply. I stayed in one near barrio alto.

Edit: the apartment I stayed in was in the Principe Real district, right around the corner from Rossio metro station.

What area/areas would be best around the City Centre to stay in?

Looking at hotels to stay in preferably, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭testtech05

Irish94 wrote: »
    What area/areas would be best around the City Centre to stay in?

Looking at hotels to stay in preferably, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

Same as above poster hoping to head over for a few nights mid may with my GF. Any recommendations would be great!!

I'm going in two weeks after my wedding, and unfortunately never read this thread until now.
    We've booked and paid for a fancy hotel, but it's out by Marques de Pombal.
    Are we a bit away from everything? I know we can get the metro from there, but is there anything worth seeing in that area, or should we head away from there once we get up each morning?

I'm going in two weeks after my wedding, and unfortunately never read this thread until now.
    We've booked and paid for a fancy hotel, but it's out by Marques de Pombal.
    Are we a bit away from everything? I know we can get the metro from there, but is there anything worth seeing in that area, or should we head away from there once we get up each morning?

I think that's at the end of a long avenue down to the sea front. It's a nice area, and a lovely walk down to the sea front, but you can easily get a quick metro ride from there as well.

It's the inner flatter part of the city. You will see hills on either side of the avenue, castle on one side, and old districts with shopping and bars on the other. Lisbon City centre is compact but requires lots of walking on cobbled hills, bring appropriate footwear!

I think that's at the end of a long avenue down to the sea front. It's a nice area, and a lovely walk down to the sea front, but you can easily get a quick metro ride from there as well.

It's the inner flatter part of the city. You will see hills on either side of the avenue, castle on one side, and old districts with shopping and bars on the other. Lisbon City centre is compact but requires lots of walking on cobbled hills, bring appropriate footwear!

Thanks. I'll make sure we pack proper shoes.
    The hotel seems to be about a 3k walk down to the sea front, but all down hill :)
    Neither of us would be put off by walking, but I imagine we'll do it once, and then start taking the metro.

The metro is great and connects to the airport. Its also handy for getting to areas that are uphill. (not the castle though, you have to walk or bus, but do. Great views.)

It can be deceiving to look at a map of Lisbon,and thinking areas are close by, but actually are difficult to get to because of the hills and the funny layout of the city.

Having said that, the city centre is small and well connected by transport, so it doesn't really matter where you stay once you are fairly central.

Sorry, that's Rato station, not Rossio.

Advertisement