Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lisbon

Options
  • 02-04-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm heading to Lisbon for a week, are there any towns/villages close by (up to 2 or 3 hours on a bus/train) anybody would recommend for 3 days or so?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Years ago I went to
    Sintra (train),
    Cascais (train - for a day on the beach - same train line goes to Estoril )
    and Mafra (bus - to visit the Palace).
    Would recommend all the above.
    Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've been to Sintra and Cascais which are both under an hour on the train away. Personally I'd prefer Sintra as it's just a beautiful town and there's plenty to keep you going for a few days. Cascais is more of a beach resort but also a really nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

What about Lisbon itself? What are the must do's there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Erik Shin wrote: »

Lisbon is a pretty chilled and laid back city. I'd recommend taking a long walk through Alfama. It's an old style Portuguese neighborhood that's very hilly and has some great views of the city and the Tagus river. There's loads of nice little restaurants throughout as well as Fado bars where they play traditional Portuguese Fado music and I'd also recommend checking out São Jorge Castle while in the neighborhood. There's great views of the city and it's a nice place to relax for an afternoon. There's also a tram line going through Alfama and it's the only old style tram left in the city as the new ones can't manage through all the hills, it's pretty cool and worth going from one end of the line to the other end.

A trip to Belem is also well worth it (about 10/15mins by tram). There's a few historical bits out here like the war monument that you can go to the top of, I think there's an army museum also and a huge old church as well as an old fort. This is where the famous Belem pastries are from also, you'll see them everywhere in Lisbon!

For nightlife, the Barrio Alto area is great and always hopping. It's full of narrow streets with little hole in the wall types bars and clubs which all spill onto the streets at the weekend (it's legal to drink in public in Lisbon) and you'll rarely pay more than €2 for a pint.

The Mercado de Ribiera (or Time Out Market) is also a cool spot for food. It's a big indoor food hall (think a much much fancier Epicurean food hall) that is run by Time Out who have picked what they reckon are the best restaurants in Lisbon and given them all smaller stalls inside the hall where you can get everything from burgers and pizza to steak tartare and sushi aswell as different beers, cocktails and fresh juices.

There's other things to do in Lisbon but that's just a sampling of things I got up to. Being so close to Sintra, I'd also recommend a day trip there, it's only 40mins by train and about €5 return. I spent a day here and I just got a hop on/off tour bus that starts at the train station. It takes you to all the places of interest and you can jump off anywhere you want to check out in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi folks,
    I'm heading to Lisbon for a week, are there any towns/villages close by (up to 2 or 3 hours on a bus/train) anybody would recommend for 3 days or so?

Thanks in advance

I would also recommend going to Setubal, about 1.5 hrs away. Lisbon is amazing. It's my favourite city in Europe. Fabulous city, cheap and wonderful. If you like fish/seafood, you really are in for a treat. Try the local custard tartlets! Enjoy, I can't wait to go back!!!

• Advertisement

If you like soccer, Sporting's stadium and museum are worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Setubal is a must if you like sea food.
    THe very last restautant up the sea front (closest to the harbour) is worth a visit. It does octapus which is super. We had to que an hour to get a seat last year!! 8 Adults & 6 kids came to just over €100
    You could then take the ferry across to Troia which has great beaches.

Sintra is another one worth visiting.

Edit . Restaurant is on avenida Luisa todi. Called "Rei do choco frito"

Off in about 10 days for a week, .. Anything that's a must do as i have a 9yo in tow as well ?

Off in about 10 days for a week, .. Anything that's a must do as i have a 9yo in tow as well ?

Eat custard cakes and seafood! The zoo is great, they put a dolphin show which my 9 year old absolutely loved. It is very child friendly, sit out in the evening time, some food, some wine, a bit of fado, heaven! Get out to Sintra, if yiu can. Visit the beach too. Take the tram up the many hills of the city! If you like football, Sportings stadium is worth a visit. The aquarium is also pretty cool. You'll love it there. Lisbon is my favourite city in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just a safety tip to be careful when out late at night and always take a taxi back to your hotel. Lisbon is a wonderful city but it isn't the safest one for wandering around in after dark compared to other European capitals.

• Advertisement

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Just a safety tip to be careful when out late at night and always take a taxi back to your hotel. Lisbon is a wonderful city but it isn't the safest one for wandering around in after dark compared to other European capitals.

As someone who landed at Madrid airport a few hours after it was bombed, was in Paris the night of the attack...I think I'll take any and all advice at this stage ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No one mentioned the huge aquarium in parc Do Nacoes..It was the expo center. There is also a cable car down the coast.

No one mentioned the huge aquarium in parc Do Nacoes..It was the expo center. There is also a cable car down the coast.

9yo in tow, so anything that will keep her occupied is most welcome, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Food reccomendations for non fish/seafood eater ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How was Lisbon trip ? Would you recommend?

zweton wrote: »
    How was Lisbon trip ? Would you recommend?

Would go back again.. excellent

what were the highlights? thinking of going in December for a week, obviously it wouldn't be the warmest but think it should still be pretty nice.

what were the highlights? thinking of going in December for a week, obviously it wouldn't be the warmest but think it should still be pretty nice.

Lots to do, you have to go to Sintra, it's a world heritage centre.. think Dingle and Killarney together but x50 and some spectacular palaces.
    The oceanarium is fantastic, biggest in Europe, walk thru the city, have a look at the older parts of the city, eat in the outer laying restaurants, traditional fado nights, down to the Tagus , maybe do the boat cruise and Def do the red bus tour on the first day, givers you a layout of the city...so much more, but that's whey springs to mind....also, if you have young children, you have to take a tuk-tuk in Sintra... brilliant fun ;)

lovely cheers for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Day trips to: Sintra, Mafra, beaches in Cascais/Estoril
    Old tram 28 http://lisbon-portugal-guide.com/lisbon-transport/lisbon-tram-28.html

• Advertisement

lovely cheers for that:)

Spent 6 nights there and could easily have done with another 6... I'll definitely go back

cheap to eat out and drink?

cheap to eat out and drink?

Yep, and amazing fish / seafood. I love Lisbin. We've 4 times, going again at hallowe'en

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What can I expect the weather to be like late-October?

Me and my GF are going for four days mid-week, I assume the place will still be lively?

Sintra seems to be a cert to visit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What can I expect the weather to be like late-October?

Me and my GF are going for four days mid-week, I assume the place will still be lively?

Sintra seems to be a cert to visit :D

Very pleasant, I reckon, maybe low to mid 20s? Could maybe hit high 20s if it's early October. At that time of year, I wouldn't expect wall to wall sun though.

I'd say the crowds will be at a perfect level, the summer rush will be gone but it's probably somewhere that gets tourists all year round. The Bairro Alto district is where you will find the liveliest nightlife.

My big piece of advice to you would be to get to anything you really want to see really early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Oh and the Bairro Alto is were native Lisboans go for a night out apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great thread.
    Going to Lisbon next month myself so I appreciate all the helpful posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Oh and the Bairro Alto is were native Lisboans go for a night out apparently.

Yep spot on - I travel monthly to Lisbon for work....its a hard life

Bairro Alto is my destination for food and drink and as mentioned where the locals all go. They tend to eat later, so 9pm onwards the place is buzzing.

If you like gin ! - the cockpit bar on Av. Sacadura Cabral is a great spot (Campo Pequeno Metro). Really friendly - they do cold beer & all other spirits, but its known as a Tapas and gin Bar. €3 for a large beer & €7 for a gin & tonic (about 60 on their list)

Most bars are about €3 for a large beer, but top end places such as the Sky Bar at the Tivoli will charge closer to €9 for a pint, worth it for one to take in the view.

The Cervejaria Trindade in the old town is a restaurant set in an Old Monastery, good food, good beer & very reasonable.

Love the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

Maybe a bit OT but myself and my girlfriend are planing on going here for a couple of days at the end of November but not sure where I should be looking for accommodation. Can anyone recommend somewhere or an area I should be looking. Looking for something close to restaurants, bars etc but nothing too wild. We are both late 20's and just looking to have a couple of days chilling out enjoying the sights and a few drinks/food in the evening.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

^^
    I'd be looking to stay as central as possible to the riverfront area and the Praca do Comercio, as Lisbon isn't the most walkable city if you aren't centrally located with all the steep hills and confusing narrow cobbled streets that will really test your legs.
    Anyway I would heavily recommend Hotel Figueira, which is the best hotel that I've ever stayed in. It's wonderfully located and just the perfect base to experience the city from.

Advertisement