Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dictatorships a growing trend?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Well, and some of them can be happy. There are relatively non-nefarious ways and means of having a dictatorship, but the issue is that eventually the dictator will change and even if the first one wanted to do his best for his country and wasn't completely insane, what happens if the next one is? The big benefit of democracy is the chance to peacefully get rid of maniacs and idiots in office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

OP since when were dictatorships ever NOT the norm? You do realise democracy isn't even 100 years old in THIS country?

Incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

In some ways De Valera was probably the closest to a dictator we've had in this country.

The Catholic church. Other countries had fascism, we got the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The fact that classical liberalism has been hijacked by far left regressives is probably something to worry about.

It's a puritanical ideology. They wish to censor words for instance, without accommodating for context. It's a ideology based on child like emotion and 'feelz', not reason or logic.

They're bigots in the truest form.

Utterly intolerant to those with different views.

If "classical liberalism" could be hijacked by overemotional child-like bigots, then it can't have been too robust to start with eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People are always happy under dictatorships. They're too afraid to say otherwise.

Yes. All of those fearful people in Turkey came out onto the streets to attack the armed forces during a coup attempt because they were afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

81% approval rating.

Meanwhile transgender Activist and media lovie Justin Trudeau (or just Justin to some media folk) is surfing high at 48%.
    That would be Kremlin backed approval ratings. Large pinch of salt needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Against that, Burma-Myanmar has been slowly moving away from dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

there are less and less dictatorships every year.

FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In some ways De Valera was probably the closest to a dictator we've had in this country.

Not even close. Collins would be a better example, as Chairman of the Provisional Government, Minister for Finance, Commander-in-chief of the Army, as well as his charisma and large personal following and his extensive spy network, was probably the closest to an Irish dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

goose2005 wrote: »
    Against that, Burma-Myanmar has been slowly moving away from dictatorship.

On the subject of Burma, I was watching a bbc report on The Lady this week. It turns out that she isn't very nice at all

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/aung-san-suu-kyi-myanmars-great-hope-fails-to-live-up-to-expectations

(Sorry for the Guardian link)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

That was imposed "freedom" by the british occupiers. You and I both know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Isn't it all cyclic anyway, the way society/ies evolve ? There is this documentary with Chomsky atm on Netflix, not that I'd take his word on every thing, but one premise is that too much democracy inevitably seems to call for restraint. His view is that the elite (rich and powerful) few will allow democracy to thrive for as long as it serves their interest (people employed, and consuming). When they feel that their control on people in that environment is slipping, they need another cycle of dictatorship to steer things back into the direction they want (power/riches).
    Or something like that, too wrecked for this right now.
    Something American Dream, Choamsky, Netflix, watch in sections or you could end up catatonic.

I don't agree at all, I think what we are seeing with the current wave of authoritarianism populism could be taken as exactly the opposite, a small segment of the very highest level of elites and the majority of the people being against the notions of a system that is guided by the upper class to upper middle classes.

Look at the response to something like Brexit, I think it was a stupid move myself but among the chattering classes you can see a lot of kickback against the idea of letting the masses decide individual issues directly which is ironically what democracy should be all about.

Just because we don't like something doesn't mean its not democratic, and democracy doesn't just mean republican democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't agree at all, I think what we are seeing with the current wave of authoritarianism populism could be taken as exactly the opposite, a small segment of the very highest level of elites and the majority of the people being against the notions of a system that is guided by the upper class to upper middle classes.

Look at the response to something like Brexit, I think it was a stupid move myself but among the chattering classes you can see a lot of kickback against the idea of letting the masses decide individual issues directly which is ironically what democracy should be all about.

Just because we don't like something doesn't mean its not democratic, and democracy doesn't just mean republican democracy.

Sorry I don't understand your post :confused:

Sorry I don't understand your post :confused:

That the current wave of authoritarianism and populism isn't due to elites in a general sense trying to take control, its a small subset of elites that are hijacking/'listening to the people' (delete as appropriate) of electorates that are disgruntled with politics that seems to be designed for the advantage of the elites, the upper middle classes and the "citizens of the world, citizens of no where".

These elites are happy enough to function in a very socially and economically liberal democratic system, pushing authoritarian protectionist nationalists is counter to the interests of rootless multinationals.

The second part of my post is that democracy is about listening to the people, its not about a meritocracy or technocracy or even individual rights, its about the will of the people. I feel that the responses of many of the commenteriat to things like the Brexit vote or the reaction to the DNC hack indicates the anti-democratic elitism that lurks under the surface.

I am not necessarily saying that dictatorship/authoritarianism isn't going to rise, my disagreement is with the idea that its part of a movement by the broader elite.

To take a historic example, its like Rome moving from the Republic to the Emperors, the Emperors formed a very small subset of the elite, they reduced the power of the wider elite (senatorial classes) and they weren't any worse for the vast majority of people (the Plebs) or any less popular, thats probably really mangling Roman history but it should illustrate what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The point on "rootless multinationals", by which I assume you mean refugees, is another important issue as to why this rise. People are freaked out at the waves of scary different people coming into the country. This too happens at times when a country (or several) is in a bad state. The Middle East is chaotic and people are fleeing. We did the same during the Famine. I suppose we too were "rootless multinationals", bringing our culture and our weird Popish religion over to the US. And invading bits of Canada, and the current refugees in Europe have so far significantly failed to mount an invasion of Belarus. The "first place to set foot" rule was short-sighted. It put too much pressure on the countries facing onto the Med, especially Greece, which is a basket-case currently that can barely feed itself. Spreading them across the EU states in proportion to base population (while keeping family groups together) would have been saner in the long run, and may have headed off resentment. It's an old tradition, but it doesn't work as things stand. Mixed in with ISIS' legitimately terrifying tactics, it was inevitable that innocent people who have already suffered greatly would be blamed.

I doubt it would have been nearly such a problem without all the rest of it though, it was a pile-on of different issues; economic, social, even technological, historical issues coming back to haunt the west. The refugees became a convenient place to point a finger - as they always are in these cases. They were no more responsible for what's been happening than any other single factor; and each individual person less so than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Im just glad skinny jeans are no longer a trend.

I am not necessarily saying that dictatorship/authoritarianism isn't going to rise, my disagreement is with the idea that its part of a movement by the broader elite.

Typically these movements come about from the social unrest of the middle and lower classes... Which is the same with Europe. I agree with you that the drive is not coming from the Elite.

Immigrants will receive the majority of focus because it's the people on the bottom who will see their benefits cut or the temporary jobs that will be taken from them, just as the middle class will see their taxes rise to pay the new costs. The inefficiencies of Democratic countries to deal with the refugee crisis is encouraging this trend especially when they hear reports of the costs involved in helping the refugees as opposed to what has been done to help the native citizens. Regardless of the actual reality of the situation. But then reality does tend to take second place to emotional responses to increased difficulties in their lives... we all love having a scapegoat.

Europe has had issues long before the refugee crisis began... and very little had been seen to be done to resolve these issues in the eyes of the "masses". Instead, we've seen a host of corruption and political scandals. Traditional Political parties across Europe have been seen to have failed their responsibilities and just seeking to play the "game" of politics with "normal" people paying the price. Just as many people see the law subverted to protect the elite or the politicians, creating a dual legal system that punishes "normal" people for doing the same.

So, people are seeking a change from what went before. Even if that means turning to nationalism, fascism, etc. IMO, It's the way democracy and the legal system have evolved that is pushing people towards supporting the extreme right or extreme left.

Actually by rootless multinationals I was referring to companies and capital.

If your referring to "citizens of the world, citizens of nowhere" that's butchering a Theresa May quote*, it's not about the poor migrant but rather Tarquin that goes to a middle class school does his gap year in West Africa of to college then works for multinational or aid organisation that places them overseas occasionally and looks down on working class British patriotism while proclaiming themselves a citizen of the world.
    E.g completely disconnected from the majority of the population

The previous poster dealt well with the refugee thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

mzungu wrote: »
    Are they? A fair amount showed up to anti-government protests in Russia recently. A good portion of them were young.

81% approval rating.

Meanwhile transgender Activist and media lovie Justin Trudeau (or just Justin to some media folk) is surfing high at 48%.

He has ruined Canada. The Islamophobia nonsense recently sums his government up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would say the remaining dictatorships are focused now in a more potent manner by the media. Places like the Middle East, North Korea, Russia & China have had an extra focus on them now then compared to other countries when their dictatorships were more common in the past.

When we talk about democracies like the UK when Brexit had it's vote to leave the EU. You see people who could have voted 'Leave' after the referendum finished by going out onto the streets and committing hate crimes to innocent members of the public. You would have seen that trouble just one day after the result of that referendum. It is been noticed that the cycle of hate crime has been going on the rise to give a large negative effect on the country's personal reputation.

Swing that scenario the other way when the UK votes 'Remain'.

In a democracy like the UK; you could have hardly heard of any people going outdoors on the streets committing these crimes to those same innocent members of the public. I would say this because the preferred reaction of Remain is somewhat more peaceful to the eyes of the beholder to people on the street. It gives an impression that a result like this would allow some form of stability to be present. It gives them a sense of living in peace that is good for their own wellbeing.

In Ireland; we don't have a perfect democracy as it stands as of now. There is still a lot of work to do while we live here to make it better for our families & whoever else to share the benefits of our prosperity.

All I saying is that living in Ireland is not a bad thing as it's intended to be. Living in a country like Ireland give can us some good things in life if we deserve them. We recently voted Yes to Gay Marriage to allow Gay people get married along with straight married couples; we in Ireland have had discussions about the possible use of Water services being under public ownership via a referendum.

We are having discussions now in the public domain about housing, health, public transport issues & talking about the TV licence. But all of these things are done in a peaceful way among other Irish people. That is the way I would like it while living in Ireland.

I could not stomach the idea of living in a dictatorship because that type of fearful leadership role can bring division & strife.

All I can say to that is too kindly go and fúck off to any of that shyte to even come onto Irish shores. Ireland is a paradise when compared to other countries that have the status of having dictatorships in them. I would love to see a world where dictatorships are eradicated for life. They have caused so much damage to people's lives for a very long period.

I, with other people, can cope with living in Ireland as it is a more bearable atmosphere than to what it is comapred to dictatorships.

• Advertisement

Actually by rootless multinationals I was referring to companies and capital.

If your referring to "citizens of the world, citizens of nowhere" that's butchering a Theresa May quote*, it's not about the poor migrant but rather Tarquin that goes to a middle class school does his gap year in West Africa of to college then works for multinational or aid organisation that places them overseas occasionally and looks down on working class British patriotism while proclaiming themselves a citizen of the world.
    E.g completely disconnected from the majority of the population

The previous poster dealt well with the refugee thing

Nope. I'm not butchering any quote. I'm stating my own opinion... although it's interesting that you're seeking to put what I said within someone elses intrepretation.. and therefore devalidates it. :D

And Samaris posted his perception on the Refugee issue... I have a very different stance.

Nope. I'm not butchering any quote. I'm stating my own opinion... although it's interesting that you're seeking to put what I said within someone elses intrepretation.. and therefore devalidates it. :D

And Samaris posted his perception on the Refugee issue... I have a very different stance.

Ugh no I am saying I am butchering a Theresa May quote and this is what I meant by those terms

edit: I was replying to Samaris

Ugh no I am saying I am butchering a Theresa May quote and this is what I meant by those terms

edit: I was replying to Samaris

haha ok. With the absence of the quotation I assumed it was directed at me. No worries. ;)

Advertisement