Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dictatorships a growing trend?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

How valid are your links op?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

the only threat to democracy is a good king

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

lightspeed wrote: »
    It seems like there is wave of dictatorship in recent years.

a dictator is the best kind of ship to sail over it.

If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal.

I think you'll find dictatorships have been around since the bible OP, no new trend there at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

THREAD CLOSED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

THREAD REOPENED (yay...)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,498 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kim Jong-un is a great laugh, I do love it when he launches the prehistoric missiles they have in to the air, it's like a few lads chipping in €5 a head and buying fancy rockets on Moore Street and watching them shoot off in to the sunset. If he showed the public of NK bluetooth he would be seen as a god like figure with superpowers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

Kim Jong-un is a great laugh, I do love it when he launches the prehistoric missiles they have in to the air, it's like a few lads chipping in €5 a head and buying fancy rockets on Moore Street and watching them shoot off in to the sunset. If he showed the public of NK bluetooth he would be seen as a god like figure with superpowers.

You will not insult Dear Leader like this. Anti aircraft gun for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Isn't it all cyclic anyway, the way society/ies evolve ? There is this documentary with Chomsky atm on Netflix, not that I'd take his word on every thing, but one premise is that too much democracy inevitably seems to call for restraint. His view is that the elite (rich and powerful) few will allow democracy to thrive for as long as it serves their interest (people employed, and consuming). When they feel that their control on people in that environment is slipping, they need another cycle of dictatorship to steer things back into the direction they want (power/riches).
    Or something like that, too wrecked for this right now.
    Something American Dream, Choamsky, Netflix, watch in sections or you could end up catatonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Heil Kermit!". I'm currently finalising the salute and then will make my move with my growing underground army.

• Advertisement

I'm currently finalising the salute.

Does it go anything like this? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

"Heil Kermit!". I'm currently finalising the salute and then will make my move with my growing underground army.

Your tadpole army ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

lightspeed wrote: »
    Is history repeating itself again?
    History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme!

Democracy has shown itself to be corrupt and inefficient. People want something better but there's no other real options... so they look to dictatorship since they've forgotten the bad and just remember the good of it. Speak to Spanish people about Franco.. Selective memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Strong leaders are always needed. The media are obsessed with electing people who are husband material instead of great leaders. There is a reason why the likes of Putin and Erdogan are very popular in their countries. They do their job, they fight tooth and nail for their countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The fact that classical liberalism has been hijacked by far left regressives is probably something to worry about.

It's a puritanical ideology. They wish to censor words for instance, without accommodating for context. It's a ideology based on child like emotion and 'feelz', not reason or logic.

They're bigots in the truest form.

Utterly intolerant to those with different views.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

History is always repeating itself.
    We never learn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal.

I think you'll find dictatorships have been around since the bible OP, no new trend there at all.

The op's point is that there's been a recent resurgence in dictator type behaviour from national leaders. No ones suggesting that it's all new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Strong leaders are always needed. The media are obsessed with electing people who are husband material instead of great leaders. There is a reason why the likes of Putin and Erdogan are very popular in their countries. They do their job, they fight tooth and nail for their countries.

They've also brought their countries into conflict with The West and clamped down on the media, had critics arrested on trumped up charges or murdered in the case of Putin. I'd rather take my chances with the ineffectual bunch we're used to in this country than have some "strongman" take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The EU is shaping up nicely...

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    They've also brought their countries into conflict with The West and clamped down on the media, had critics arrested on trumped up charges or murdered in the case of Putin. I'd rather take my chances with the ineffectual bunch we're used to in this country than have some "strongman" take over.

But people are happy.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

In some ways De Valera was probably the closest to a dictator we've had in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

OP since when were dictatorships ever NOT the norm? You do realise democracy isn't even 100 years old in THIS country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It comes and goes in cycles. Countries that haven't had democracy long enough to have the framework laid in so heavily that it's very difficult to remove by a potential dictator are always going to be prone to fall back into it, especially as early-stage democracies are almost invariably corrupt (well, very often!), especially if they've had it forced on them. The West is a bit inclined to declaim that democracy is the only way and you better do it now. That gives people less of an invested interest to build a democracy and aim to safeguard it.

As for the west, well, Europe's last round of dictatorial types are just fading out of living memory, we've just seen a nasty recession coupled with the fear of war, decades of messing in the Middle East coming home to roost, and an interconnected world where, while everyone's benefit spreads to everyone, each others' weaknessess likewise impact other countries. These were all broached under democracy and when a political system doesn't seem to be helping, we tend to move away from it and try find something else that does work - at least for a time.

Personally, I don't think our problem is democracy and I also think that we're about through the worst as long as idiots don't bubble the markets again (which is looks like they are doing). But people will always be people and these swings happen. Hopefully our safeguards are strongly enough in place that they cannot be easily ripped out.

Also, while interventionism ultimately just causes serious issues and to some extent, people need to rise up when they're ready to, perhaps with subtle outside support, if any damn country needed an intervention, it's North Korea. The conditions people live in there are vile, and the sheer level of thought control is insidious and evil. There was an interview some months ago with a young woman who escaped (and the hell that these people go through to escape is unreal) who was raised with the idea that the current Kim could read her thoughts. Imagine that for a moment; utterly believing (and with little evidence to the contrary) that the ruling despot can see your mind. If you don't even dare to -think- that this is wrong, how can you stand up to it? People bitch about not being allowed socially to use certain words in the west, but one's freedom to call someone a retarded n*gger or whatever is really not comparable to one's freedom to think any sort of negative thought about one's political leader.

NK looks funny because of the sheer bat**** insanity of the moron in charge, but under the surface, it's horrific.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

But people are happy.
    Are they? A fair amount showed up to anti-government protests in Russia recently. A good portion of them were young.

mzungu wrote: »
    Are they? A fair amount showed up to anti-government protests in Russia recently. A good portion of them were young.

81% approval rating.

Meanwhile transgender Activist and media lovie Justin Trudeau (or just Justin to some media folk) is surfing high at 48%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

81% approval rating.

The only surprising thing about that approval rating is that it's not 100%.

Dictators seem to be more nuanced lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Do you need henchmen, your greenness? I can do you a deal! Also talk to me about hired goons. No questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

And always remember to tell your victims The Plan in excruciating detail -after- you've killed them. Sure, you'll look a bit weird talking to a corpse, but it keeps your henchmen on their toes.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

But people are happy.

People are always happy under dictatorships. They're too afraid to say otherwise.

Advertisement