Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rants from an Old Curmudgeon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

As Tony Soprano said - "The most boring conversation ever is 'I remember when". Every generation thinks the next ones are sh1t. They've always been wrong. Why would this version be any less wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I hate the complete over-reliance on technology. I was on a road trip last year with a couple of my mates, who insisted on only following the voice of google maps, and had no idea how to interpret the map themselves. And refused to listen to the wise old head in the back of the car

I know it takes into account traffic conditions etc, but at one stage we were driving straight north when we were meant to be going southwest. Later on they refused to take an exit which was a couple of minutes from our destination to go seven miles out the way instead.

People obsessed with checking me in on facebook when I just want to enjoy a quiet pint. And as for the fcuking photo's and video's of every bl00dy moment. I was watching the Galway-Tipp all Ireland semi final in the pub a few years ago with a random lad from Galway. It was very exciting and we were jumping up and down. His girlfriend stood with her back to the TV recording our reactions instead of watching the game with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

His girlfriend stood with her back to the TV recording our reactions instead of watching the game with us.
    Oh dear. That sort of thing really boils my piss. You should have slapped her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Oh dear. That sort of thing really boils my piss. You should have slapped her.

I just found it so unbelievably weird that I didn't know what to do. Apart from getting myself away from the camera and allow her to record her boyfriend instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

At 42, you're expected to know the meaning...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I think it's more a case certain people just grow more bitter as they age - then go find some place where they can throw sone lazy generalisations about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'm thinking future smartphones will have a mini radar around the top edge and part of the screen will glow to warn of impending obstacles just like a parking sensor would
    No more collisions. They'll be bluetoothed to their new Mark II hover boards so you'll be fine.

Watching them spontaneously go up in flames might keep you amused though.
    (Some glitches do persist)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The legendary cuesmith Alex Higgins was your age when he formally retired from the sport for the first time.

He told the press conference "You can shove your snooker up your Jacksie" before punching a 'World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association' official in the stomach.

"Jacksie" is a funny phrase isn't it? Some sort of a degenerate, working class Northern Irish saying I presume.

They just say arse down where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

The rants were better in my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I don't get the lack of manners part. Except for the underclass - which is at about the same level of (im)politeness as it was but there's more of them - I'm as likely to be knocked over by an old wan stampeeding for a train seat as I'm trying to get off, as I was 20 years ago.

I dont really care about headphones and smart phones on buses etc. In a different era it was walkmans and magazines, books and newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The legendary cuesmith Alex Higgins was your age when he formally retired from the sport for the first time.

He told the press conference "You can shove your snooker up your Jacksie" before punching a 'World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association' official in the stomach.

"Jacksie" is a funny phrase isn't it? Some sort of a degenerate, working class Northern Irish saying I presume.

They just say arse down where I live.

It's a cockney phrase.
    Jacksie is Cockney Rhyming Slang.
    It means backside, bottom, arse...
    The word comes from : Jacksie = Jack and Danny = Fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think it's more a case certain people just grow more bitter as they age - then go find some place where they can throw sone lazy generalisations about.

These things are quite common. I don't think anyone's generalising or saying everyone of a certain age does them but it's perfectly fair to say they're common. And they irritate people of the same or not much older ages too, not just people two or three decades older.

I'd find over reliance on technology-like insisting on using a sat nav type app when it's sending you astray, or ignoring road signs and refusing a map- a sign of stupidity and lack of ingenuity and I more or less grew up with the same technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I prefer generalizations - means I don't have to think too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I knew I was turning into my mother when I saw the youngwans with their bums hanging out of their hot pants and I thought 'Jayziz, who let them out like that'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

"My rights and entitlements" have absolutely drowned "my personal responsibilities ".
    Especially "my right not to be offended and my right to be outraged ". It's everywhere and across all the age groups and it makes me feel exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Sorry but music from the 60s, 70s, 80s (ish), 90s all great. My youth would have been late 80s and the 90s. I can go back a generation, possibly even two and find great music. Music today is utter ****e.

There was plenty of terrible music in all those decades

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

• People of all ages talking loudly in public libraries
    • Hospitals full of germs (no nuns to keep the place clean)
    • No freckles on women's faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

These things are quite common. I don't think anyone's generalising or saying everyone of a certain age does them but it's perfectly fair to say they're common. And they irritate people of the same or not much older ages too, not just people two or three decades older.

I'd find over reliance on technology-like insisting on using a sat nav type app when it's sending you astray, or ignoring road signs and refusing a map- a sign of stupidity and lack of ingenuity and I more or less grew up with the same technology.

I agree: "these things" are common amongst all generations - but in threads like this there is definitely an element of blaming the generations that came after you for society's problems. Especially in relation to internet culture; I see the typical "selfie obsessed, attention-seeking, looking for validation millennials" line used a lot in AHs and it really seems to be coming from a place of bitterness rather than anything else. And I suspect a lot of the people complaining would have acted exactly the same if the technology was available to them at that age. It's just the way life is heading. It has pros and cons.

Again, I appreciate not everyone here thinks like that and I admit last night's comment was not really thought out all that well either. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Parents not controlling their kids......

.....its a restaurant not a creche - you want your kids to be able to run around where there's food being served - take them to McDonald's....

.....likewise planes are not creches in the sky and they're confined enough for staff to work in with out bratty kids running around the place.

Came off a flight last week during which some parents had let their kids run like mad yokes around the cabin to the point where one got so wound up he puked.....I'm guessing if I took me trousers off and ran up and down the aisles 'til I puked it'd be zip ties and restraints - but some kid does it and it's 'adorable.'

.....and where did all these feckin' allergies come from? Peanut allergies - fair enough, that's serious stuff and kids medically diagnosed as being coeliac again not very nice for them - but now it seems every second kid is "intolerant" to everything except civilised behaviour. Personally, I just think parents didn't let them eat enough dirt when they were younger :D

....I remember recently being asked by a parent if the kids had to tackle so hard......which was "strange" because we were standing in a rugby club and they'd brought their kids along to learn to how to play rugby, and I was the coach.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
Advertisement