Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rants from an Old Curmudgeon

Options
  • 30-03-2017 8:57pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I turned the grand old age of 42 last week and I was thinking of all the changes in the world since my youth, many of those NOT for the better, such as:

The lack of manners compared to years ago. People are still polite, to be sure, but much fewer of them and there is a gereral rudeness, abruptness and coarseness among people, and not just the much-maligned "youth" - I've seen older people push their way past at bus queues and so forth.

The cult of celebrity. It really has got to a ridiculous stage. So called "celebs" who have no talent or skills being paraded around on TV and the media, their every move detailed. Kim Kardashian I, m looking at you...

Feel free to add here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Technology is both a help and a hindrance.

It has created vacuous, self satisfying, narcissistic ar*eholes who do nothing but post selfies and pics of their food so other people can judge and fake praise.

Yes, I have issues.

Also, happy "Answer to the Ultimate Question" age!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

There is an awful lot to hate out there. Mrs Mellie and I discussed this only last night (I had ranted at some f@ckwits on the television - I can't remember why). She reckons it's a normal part of aging to rage against the changing world. I'm 42 as well so maybe that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So called "celebs" who have no telnet or skills being paraded around on TV and the media, t

They don't have any FTP either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People checking thier phones while having a meal. They should be murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Ok so I turned the grand old age of 42 last week and I was thinking of all th changes in the world since my youth, many of those NOT for the better, such as:

The lack of manners compared to years ago. People are still polite, to be sure, but much fewer of them and there is a gereral rudeness, abruptness and coarseness among people, and not just the much-maligned "youth" - I've seen older people push their way past at bus queues and so forth.

The cult of celebrity. It really has got to a ridiculous stage. So called "celebs" who have no telnet or skills being paraded around on TV and the media, their every move detailed. Kim Kardashian I, m looking at you...

Feel free to add here!

Feckin young fellas today, whinge, whinge, whinge.......:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sweet Baby Jesus! Grumpy old men at 42.

I dread to think what your blood pressure wild be like by the time you are in your mid 70s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Does any of this trivially annoy you op?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Sweet Baby Jesus! Grumpy old men at 42.

I dread to think what your blood pressure wild be like by the time you are in your mid 70s.

Once the blood pressure is there in the bedroom department is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What is the issue with people and walking? It seems to be a completely alien concept to some people that they're not the only person on the pavement. Now being rather old fashioned I was told to walk on the left, sword arm and all that, but either side will do. Get out of the middle of the path you moron.

Morons aside it's arseholes that walk two or three abreast and then wonder why I clatter into them.

Finally why even go the the Cinema if you're going to talk through the film?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Jaysus OP I always thought you were around 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

- People who (look to) get offended at trivial nonsense
    - People who look to get offended on someone else's behalf (whether or not that other person is actually offended)
    - As the OP says, the "look at me" generation
    - The complete lack of personal responsibility these days... it's always "someone else's" job to do that
    - The general dumbing-down of Western society in favour of the above mentioned narcissistic bull**** and "celeb" worship
    - "Viral" nonsense... not helped of course by the current inhabitant of the White House... "Fake News" indeed! But it spills over to every other form of media. Remember when news was actually newsworthy?
    - The "entitlement" culture of those who have grown up being told how "special" they are and how anything negative they encountered was not their fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The youth of today will be doing courses in the future on how to be sociable.
    What wreaks my head is the headphones & wifi! Doesn't anyone talk anymore?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is the issue with people and walking? It seems to be a completely alien concept to some people that they're not the only person on the pavement. Now being rather old fashioned I was told to walk on the left, sword arm and all that, but either side will do. Get out of the middle of the path you moron.

Morons aside it's arseholes that walk two or three abreast and then wonder why I clatter into them.

This.
    Why?

Wtf? And what's with gangs of moronic teenagers cluttering up the pavement and stopping en masse?

And worse buying half an espresso in starbucks but all queueing en masse?

Morons.

Just get out of my ****ing way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Nowadays I find that reminiscing just isn't as good as it used to be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

People are glued to their phones these days. They hardly know anyone else is there, trying to walk in the opposite direction. Wrapped up in their own little world. Grr!!

Also music is definitely not as good as it was in the 90s. I know everyone will retort by opining "but you always think the music was better in your youth" - there are some good artists out there but Ed Sheeran songs taking the top 15 of the top 20 in the charts? WTF??!!

And do not get me started on the "selfie" obsession with FB...:rolleyes:

People are glued to their phones these days. They hardly know anyone else is there, trying to walk in the opposite direction. Wrapped up in their own little world. Grr!!

Also music is definitely not as good as it was in the 90s. I know everyone will retort by opining "but you always think the music was better in your youth" - there are done good artists out there but Ed Sheeran songs taking the top 15 of the top 20 in the charts? WTF??!!

And not get me started on the "selfie" obsession with FB...:rolleyes:

Sorry but music from the 60s, 70s, 80s (ish), 90s all great. My youth would have been late 80s and the 90s. I can go back a generation, possibly even two and find great music. Music today is utter ****e.

Sorry but music from the 60s, 70s, 80s (ish), 90s all great. My youth would have been late 80s and the 90s. I can go back a generation, possibly even two and find great music. Music today is utter ****e.

Oh I agree. Popular music between 1965 and 1978 was incredible. Such originality, such innovation. Never to be repeated I reckon. It must have been brilliant to have been young and free in London or San Francisco in the late 60s/early 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - "Viral" nonsense... not helped of course by the current inhabitant of the White House... "Fake News" indeed! But it spills over to every other form of media. Remember when news was actually newsworthy?
    I love the (true) story from April 1930 about when the BBC deemed nothing of note to have happened so the BBC newsreader announced "Good evening. Today is Good Friday. There is no news." Instead, they played a bit of piano music before returning to the scheduled programme.

(In Ireland, there was probably a discussion about whether the pubs should be open...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Celebs are put up the highest pedestals now. Years ago you admired your favourite celebs but now if say I left a bad comment about Beyonce on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook I'd have her Beyhive baying for my blood. Some fans are a bit maniacal about the celebs they follow nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

JupiterKid wrote:

I enjoy walking in to these people and give myself bonus points if i can knock there phone on the ground.

I enjoy walking in to these people and give myself bonus points if i can knock there phone on the ground.

If they're over to one side I'll cut them some slack but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person walking into people. To be fair they get a fairly soft landing if hitting me.

Next one from me is women should not be allowed umbrellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'm thinking future smartphones will have a mini radar around the top edge and part of the screen will glow to warn of impending obstacles just like a parking sensor would

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The lack of manners compared to years ago. People are still polite, to be sure, but much fewer of them and there is a gereral rudeness, abruptness and coarseness among people,

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

- Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Hipsters...supposed to be anti-establishment and independent and they all look like clones with their huge Taliban beards and skinny jeans.

The culture of everyone being a victim and self-entitlement. Not being to tell things as they are in fear of "offending" someone.

Kids not playing outdoors much and then people worry about childhood obesity. Thank God myself and my mates played outdoors all day long back in the 80s.

Katie Hopkins. No, you are not smart or clever. Go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

i'm still completely baffled by "social media influencers". People who literally take photos of themselves parading around their room in fancy clothes and makeup for a living.

Like not only is it totally socially acceptable to take 40 selfies a day and to take full-profile photos of yourself every time you go to the gym or do the grocery shop or go to the local cafe, but that you can now be SPONSORED and PAID to do so and end up on the front page of magazines for it. "Youtube stars" and "snapchat celebrities". Famous for being an absolute prick. Baffling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm thinking future smartphones will have a mini radar around the top edge and part of the screen will glow to warn of impending obstacles just like a parking sensor would
    pretty sure you can get a camera app already so you can see the real world in the background at 50% transparency

and yes smartphones have facial recognition and proximity sensors so no new hard ware needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

pretty sure you can get a camera app already so you can see the real world in the background at 50% transparency

and yes smartphones have facial recognition and proximity sensors so no new hard ware needed

But the camera will also be facing down while you're walking hence the need for proximity sensors. 1 pointing straight ahead and 2 for the corners. Though a couple of years later you'll be able to upgrade to a newer phone with 1 really wide proximity sensor that curves all the way around the front corners.

Hopefully there will be a way to jam them so you can be standing on top of a balcony on Oxford street with a jammer and watch the carnage unfold below you

Phoning "customer service" and having to speak to a computer and pressing 285 different options before speaking to a human being...who may or may not be able to speak English. Bah!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The way the news is reported, or articles worded, is obnoxious. The online editions of broadsheets with headlines that look like clickbait lists such as ''50 things you must do before''..or ''You won't believe what Trump said next''. No standards or professionalism anymore.

Also, the world has become obsessed with menstruation. I had a look at the online edition of Seventeen magazine and it was full of articles about periods. Wtf? I know it's a girls issue but this is a fixation. Which leads me onto feminism. Everyone's a feminist blogger now.

Advertisement