Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII - 20 Years On!

Options
  • 29-03-2017 10:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

It's hard to believe. Has any game surpassed it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

AntoLeary wrote: »

No

Don't believe what Retrogamer says when he gets here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No

Don't believe what Retrogamer says when he gets here

95523_front.jpg

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

AntoLeary wrote: »

:P :P :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What a game, so many unforgettable moments

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    95523_front.jpg

Also
    330708-ffix.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    95523_front.jpg

Ahhh jaysus here we go again

giphy.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I love FF7 , and it's one of my favourite games....especially from my childhood.

But there have been many games...better games since. I can look at it objectively and say there have been better games since.
    As above, FF9 is probably a better 'game'. FF7 was just the one that introduced so many of us to the series and was groundbreaking at the time...so we have rose tinted glasses about it.
    I'll be first in line to buy FF7 Remake too.

Metal Gear 1 is better anyways

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

FF7 was the first rpg I ever played so it will always have a special ln my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's amazing, but VI is better and arguably the best JRPG (if not game) ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

All the times I've played this game and I only beat or bothered with the Ruby Weapon once. Turned into an hour long (possibly longer) battle between Tifa and the monster. Trying to hit all the reels in her special.
    Dolphin flip ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gimli2112 wrote: »
    All the times I've played this game and I only beat or bothered with the Ruby Weapon once. Turned into an hour long (possibly longer) battle between Tifa and the monster. Trying to hit all the reels in her special.
    Dolphin flip ftw.

Same here, that was one battle I never wanted to bother with a second time.

I really liked all the conversation options you had, it really helped creating the illusion of an open world, even if they only made a very small difference on certain occasions

cloud-and-barret.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Worst game I have ever played in my life. Also the most over rated game on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shiminay wrote: »
    Worst game I have ever played in my life. Also the most over rated game on the planet.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

No

Yes, fanbois tend to be terrified by contrary opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yes, fanbois tend to be terrified by contrary opinion.

10 million copies sold on the PSX back in the day, surely they're all wrong and you're right :rolleyes:

It's not about right or wrong, it's personal opinion. I'm not blind to facts, I'm just saying I think it's the worst game I've ever played and I cannot understand what anyone sees in it.

But again, fanbois are always terrified by contrary opinion.

It's not about right or wrong, it's personal opinion. I'm not blind to facts, I'm just saying I think it's the worst game I've ever played and I cannot understand what anyone sees in it.

No problem with you not liking it, couldn't give a hoot, but you're claiming its the most over rated game on the planet, which is just silly as it ticks all the boxes of what makes a game great.

Also you're being quite contradictory by belittling people that have praise for a game by labeling them a fanboy, yet you're opinion is grand because its negative :rolleyes:

Thee most over rated game on the planet?! C'mon! you live in a world with halo and minecraft :pac:

Yes, but I enjoyed Halo (for a limited value of enjoyed - I enjoyed the multiplayer with my friends) and Minecraft and despised every second of FF7. I'm not stating my opinion is fact, it's my opinion. Look at the first responses; monosyllabic and equally dismissive. People still vote for Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael, it is my opinion that they shouldn't be allowed to breath, never mind breed, but my opinion isn't going to change anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I played FF7 a couple of years ago for the first time. Maybe it was being told for so many years how great it was by friends, but when I played it I just thought it was just not that good. Perhaps if I'd played it at time of release I would have had a higher opinion of it, but it felt really disinteresting. None of the characters were likeable, and it just felt like it was dragging on. I think that second point is an issue I have with most JRPGs though, I find their grind tedious and just not for me.

• Advertisement

hah i had no idea you played those games, i just mentioned them as they're big names that millions like, but i dont :pac:

I've no problem with your opinion, i respect it. JRPG's aint for everybody, Its just the use of the word "fanboi's" is all :p
    Angron wrote: »
    I played FF7 a couple of years ago for the first time. Maybe it was being told for so many years how great it was by friends, but when I played it I just thought it was just not that good. Perhaps if I'd played it at time of release I would have had a higher opinion of it, but it felt really disinteresting. None of the characters were likeable, and it just felt like it was dragging on. I think that second point is an issue I have with most JRPGs though, I find their grind tedious and just not for me.

Yeah I'd imagine it would have lost alot of its magic a few years on, I have had the same problem trying to get into some big name games years after release. I actually didnt like FF7 at all when i first started playing it, it just eventually hooked me in on the story and then i began to appreciate and like the combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Simpsons_angry_mob.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone else make a balls of their leaving cert because of this game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Angron wrote: »
    I think that second point is an issue I have with most JRPGs though, I find their grind tedious and just not for me.

If you are grinding in a JRPG you are playing them wrong. Especially FF7 which is a total cakewalk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's decent but people talk about the story as if it's some sort of insightful examination of the human condition instead of the Nomura moping guff that it is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It was certainly a milestone when it came out and had a big influence on the genre going forward, but I have got more enjoyment from other JRPG's made before and after 7, actually it is probably not in my top 5 in the series as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Grandia was pretty good back in the day.

What was the biggest JRPG before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What was the biggest JRPG before this?

I reckon it would be Dragon Quest VI if you are going by sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

FF7 was an excellent product of its time. The story was really good, and it had so many memorable characters (the party characters, the Turks, Hojo, scarlett & Heidegger, Sephiroth obviously, I could go on). For me it set a benchmark for storytelling which has been rarely surpassed since....I mean comparing the messy, almost worthless storyline of FFXV, its amazing how the series has progressed and regressed in different ways. I would guess for modern game development it must be exponentially more labour intensive to try to build a world of the same calibre of FF7.

It holds a special place for me - hugely in part that it came around when I just got my first gaming system, I picked it up second hand in GAME for €8, and it blow my young mind as to what a game could be.

Advertisement