Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good article on the present state of athletica

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How many clubs are down that way and what are their numbers?

In Kerry? Gneeveguilla, An Riocht, Star of the Laune, St. Brendans, Iveragh, Tralee Harriers, Killarney Valley, Farranfore & Maine Valley, Castleisland, Spa Muckross, Kenmare, Spa Fenit, Barrow, Listowel, Annascaul

I might have forgotten one or two.

The bigger ones have about 100 members, the smaller ones maybe 10.

Plus, clubs in south Limerick would have Castleisland as their nearest track as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

How many clubs are down that way and what are their numbers?

As of late 2014 (can't find up to date numbers). There was 14,708 AI members in Munster. Dublin had 7284 for comparison(Cork alone has 6130). There is 7 tracks in the whole of Munster, 5 in Dublin and 2 in Cork.

Those are the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah but we were out running around the roads and fields and kicking anything ball shaped for hours on end. Sweet crap, fizzy drinks and crisps were rare treats and I don't I ever ate fast food until I was in my late teens and even then it was way too pricey. We played tennis when Wimbledon was on, cycling races during the Tour De France, running during the Olympics and football and rounders all the time. Until drink and girls came along, but that's for a different forum! :)

Anyone else do the show jumping? Now that was the business. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

There's two 400m running tracks in Cork City - CIT and the Mardyke catering to a population of 542,000 for the entire County. So that's one track per 181,000 or so. The county covers an area of 7500km squared as opposed to 922km squared for County Dublin. It's 2 or more hours from the farthest point of west Cork to the City, and further to Castleisland. That's 1 track per 3065 AI members in the county as opposed to 1 track per 1457 members in Dublin, plus the ones in Dublin are far closer even on public transport - which is very expensive and takes very long from rural Cork to the City. Fair enough there's a far lower density of population in Cork, but if we're talking numbers then Dublin is far better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Murph_D wrote: »
    Anyone else do the show jumping? Now that was the business. :pac:

Me ma's sweeping brush, some planks and milk crates and we were all Eddie Macken!

• Advertisement

El Caballo wrote: »
    As of late 2014 (can't find up to date numbers). There was 14,708 AI members in Munster. Dublin had 7284 for comparison(Cork alone has 6130). There is 7 tracks in the whole of Munster, 5 in Dublin and 2 in Cork.

Those are the numbers.

You have to look further down the Internet search results. :) July 2016 numbers are here.

And here's a list of the monthly stats, up to Feb 2017.

Me ma's sweeping brush, some planks and milk crates and we were all Eddie Macken!

JYsus, HBS, you're older than I thought!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Half my family is South Kerry. I was down there the day Gillian O'Sullivan won her phenomenal silver medal at the Worlds in Paris. Nobody down there gave a toss despite her being a Kerrywoman. All they cared about was the Kerry v Tyrone semi later that day (and they got thumped!). You are facing a serious uphill struggle down there.

You piqued my interest with that last senstence. Kerry has actually got 3 times the number of AI members that Dublin has per capita

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Those are the numbers.

So ye have double the numbers but can't organise funding and some sport grants?

Can some clubs merge?

We have maybe 200 senior and 200 junior. Got a grant, raised over a 100,000 and a loan for the rest.

Yeah but we were out running around the roads and fields and kicking anything ball shaped for hours on end. Sweet crap, fizzy drinks and crisps were rare treats and I don't I ever ate fast food until I was in my late teens and even then it was way too pricey. We played tennis when Wimbledon was on, cycling races during the Tour De France, running during the Olympics and football and rounders all the time. Until drink and girls came along, but that's for a different forum! :)

So nothing to do with facilities but instead it's our choices.

Was teaching the kids on the street how to play rounders last sat. They loved it.

Amazing what a piece of chalk can do for creating the marks.

• Advertisement

So ye have double the numbers but can't organise funding and some sport grants?

Can some clubs merge?

We have maybe 200 senior and 200 junior. Got a grant, raised over a 100,000 and a loan for the rest.

Who says we can't?;)

Who says we can't?;)

Yeah kerry folk are always loaded. Look under the mattress 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

My brush was Rockbarton. I remember making a long jump pit after beamans record was broken, throwing a big heavy spear/fork thing trying to beat tessa sanderson. The less said about the sergei bubka pole vault thing the better.

Seriously we have come from no facilities 25yrs ago to having something a litle bit more. Still too many clubs building facilities for 1 sport and being totally underused.

The sports facilities have indeed come a long way. A pity though that so much of it is on the backs of poor suckers playing lotto and not from a more progressive tax source (because tax is what it is). "We" want sports and transport infrastructure but "we" don't usually want to pay for it. Fundraising is great but what a lot of work - initially and then year after year to repay the loans. Meanwhile "we" are telling Apple to keep the 13 billion. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not saying 5 is enough but in Dublin, you don't have to travel 40 miles to get to the nearest track. The majority of tracks in Munster are college tracks as well. Any tracks that were built in Small towns were generally done so through years upon years of fundraising by local athletic clubs. I know the track in Castleisland was built through one of their members going to pretty much every race in Kerry and Limerick for the bones of 3 years fundraising for it.

Using huge population density numbers skews the data in the countryside. If that was used, you might only have one track in Cork. Other areas might only have 1 track in 60 sq miles. The fact is in Dublin City, you're never too far away from one, other counties have none at all.

COL does have involvement with youth athletics as well to the other poster. He coaches a kids group in Portland. Asking a bit much for him to do it in Cork tbh when he lives in a different Country. And tbf to him, unlike a lot of big name Irish athletes in the past, he does support athletics in Ireland. You'll often see him running National XC or running national track.As for what he said on Barr, different personalities.
    I gave up bringing my kids to Santry training as it was taking an hour to get there from Glasnevin in rush hour, even though it's only 5k away. I have to say, it's intriguing to see club membership numbers. For example that there are more masters athletes registered in Cork than in Dublin. That Meath has 50 per cent the numbers of Dublin. And indeed doesn't have a single track.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I gave up bringing my kids to Santry training as it was taking an hour to get there from Glasnevin in rush hour, even though it's only 5k away. I have to say, it's intriguing to see club membership numbers. For example that there are more masters athletes registered in Cork than in Dublin. That Meath has 50 per cent the numbers of Dublin. And indeed doesn't have a single track.

Dunboyne are almost there. Tarmac is down on the 400m track.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    That Meath has 50 per cent the numbers of Dublin. And indeed doesn't have a single track.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057058043&page=2

It has a few more than none now

Navan (Navan AC)
    Bohermeen (Bohermeen AC)
    Ratoath (Ratoath AC)
    Dunboyne (Duboyne AC)
    Athboy (Fr. Murphy AC)
    Cushinstown (Cushinstown AC)
    Skryne (Tara AC)
    Ashbourne (St. Andrews AC)
    Gormanston (Star of the Sea AC)

Advertisement