Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do shop assistants ask if you would like a receipt?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You should always ask for a receipt if your buying petrol or diesel.

Why? I've put fuel in the car for over 50 years - at least 2500 times - without needing to get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Why? I've put fuel in the car for over 50 years - at least 2500 times - without needing to get a receipt.

If you buy dirty petrol or diesel and it damages your car. It could cost in the 1000's to repair and having a receipt may help you claim off the garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

the_syco wrote:
    By law they must offer the receipt.

They do? I'm not sure this applies in Ireland.
    They are always printed though from my experience and they bin them if people don't want them.

Usually they don't print out under a certain amount. So if the total is less than a tenner, it won't automatically print as many people don't want a receipt for that much unless there's a reason.

I hate people who request receipts and then stand at the till, in everyone's way, to read them. They're usually the people who can't read receipts and will complain about something they've misread.
    For example: "you've charged me three times for this bag of carrots!!" "No sir, the third entry is a correction of the second as the scanner picked it up twice. You were charged for one." "But it has three on the receipt!" "No sir, as you can see, the third entry has multiple minus signs as well as a *COR* in front of it." "Oh well those firelogs were meants to be 4 for €5 and it clearly says €7.49 here" "Sir, if you continue reading down, there's the €2.49 deduction before the final price with Special Offer Firelogs beside it" *adds up everything at till, still blocking the way* "my loyalty points were supposed to come off the price of shopping" *I add everything up* "They have sir" "No they haven't, I just counted!" "As have I sir, with a calculator. I can assure you they have come off the price" "I don't have time for this! I'll be coming back in tomorrow and you better have the money you owe me ready"*

This happened me only last week. I'd say with confidence that most people who complain have read the receipt wrong in some way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

PARlance wrote:
    Until you're in a position to claim for Diesel... you almost like the fact that we're being rode.

You'll feel the pain when the minus is smaller than the plus every 2 months.
    I know I do:-(

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

If you buy dirty petrol or diesel and it damages your car. It could cost in the 1000's to repair and having a receipt may help you claim off the garage!

Very very rare for "dirty" diesel and considering most fuel station tanks hold 50,000 litres, there'd be about 1500 angry customers.

Dirt / deposits in a fuel tank build over time. If you don't get close to empty often, the deposits stay til one day it affects the engine.

Those who don't understand always blame the last fill when the reality is not understanding how the fuel system works.

Think - domestic kerosene tanks are always at a slight angle away from the outlet to push the impurities to the opposite side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

nosilver wrote: »
    Very very rare for "dirty" diesel and considering most fuel station tanks hold 50,000 litres, there'd be about 1500 angry customers.

Dirt / deposits in a fuel tank build over time. If you don't get close to empty often, the deposits stay til one day it affects the engine.

Those who don't understand always blame the last fill when the reality is not understanding how the fuel system works.

Think - domestic kerosene tanks are always at a slight angle away from the outlet to push the impurities to the opposite side.

Well I know a lady this happened to and she did a lot of research on the matter and got legal advice and anybody who got their car repaired by the station always had the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

nosilver wrote: »

I also know people it happened to, all had bought fuel from the same place on the same day. The older the tanks the more likely it is. And you'd know soon enough if you got a dirty batch so you only need to keep receipt a little while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wesser wrote: »
    So you can prove you paid for the goods?
    In Italy it's the exact opposite , it's so the shopkeeper can prove it's on the books and not part of the black economy.

https://www.livitaly.com/surprising-facts-italy/
    When you purchase an espresso or a pizza, the cashier will hand you your receipt without asking. This is because in Italy, they are required to ensure the customer leaves with the receipt. If they don’t, the owner could face a large fine! Once you leave the establishment, Italian police even have the right to stop you and ask for it. After a few days, you will most likely have a ton of receipts in your wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

where i work a reciept prints every time, automated, we have no choice. i will ask on smaller sales if they want one because we recycle and i can at least recycle it because they will only dump it or sometimes get thick that i give them it. but that's for cries of retail...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭cnoc

I paid a bin company last week by credit card and requested a receipt. I was informed that the company does not issue receipts. Is that in order for the company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I thought it was only me that wondered why so many shops don't automatically hand it to you with your change. But what bothers me more is this situation, shopping for example in Super Valu (they always do this) the cashier scans all your goods through and then just sits there and I'm like "eh can you tell me what I owe you please" and she goes "€22.49" ...... Arghhhhhh why do they do that as a customer you cannot always see the screen on the till to see the figure that's come up. I hate that. Why dont they scan the stuff through and volunteer to tell you the figure instead of sitting there like an egjit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

cnoc wrote: »
    I paid a bin company last week by credit card and requested a receipt. I was informed that the company does not issue receipts. Is that in order for the company?

they will have issued you an invoice ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In Italy it's the exact opposite , it's so the shopkeeper can prove it's on the books and not part of the black economy.

https://www.livitaly.com/surprising-facts-italy/

In Croatia/Slovenia the receipts are all bounced off a government server where they're signed digitally before being printed.

In several European countries the government holds free draws for big prizes (e.g. cars) with receipts as tickets, thereby ensuring everyone gets a receipt and nobody throws them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

and some odd ones ask you to do contactless but still want the visa slip

They could still need a receipt if they are claiming back expenses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

either way the receipt is going to issued....so you might as well take it...

anyway who knows the milk could be sour and you might have to return it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

taylor3 wrote: »
    I thought it was only me that wondered why so many shops don't automatically hand it to you with your change. But what bothers me more is this situation, shopping for example in Super Valu (they always do this) the cashier scans all your goods through and then just sits there and I'm like "eh can you tell me what I owe you please" and she goes "€22.49" ...... Arghhhhhh why do they do that as a customer you cannot always see the screen on the till to see the figure that's come up. I hate that. Why dont they scan the stuff through and volunteer to tell you the figure instead of sitting there like an egjit.

Totally agree. Even if I can see the price just say it so we know we both agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭cnoc

Tigger wrote: »
    they will have issued you an invoice ?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

I thought the receipt got printed whether you answered yes or no to the "Do you want a receipt?" question. In which case the "to save paper" reason would be wrong.

Advertisement