Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do shop assistants ask if you would like a receipt?

Options
  • 28-03-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭

There may be a simple answer to this. I am just wondering what is the main reason. Every time I go in to a supermarket, whether it be Spar or Marks & Spencer or other shops, I am asked would I like a receipt by the cashier. Surely this is not some kind of fiddling going on, is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There may be a simple answer to this. I am just wondering what is the main reason. Every time I go in to a supermarket, whether it be Spar or Marks & Spencer or other shops, I am asked would I like a receipt by the cashier. Surely this is not some kind of fiddling going on, is it?
    Saving paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some people like receipts for a number of reasons. Some don't want the wasted paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

So you can prove you paid for the goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Some people don't want the receipt. Other want the receipt and feel that there is some massive conspiracy involving over-charging for baked beans, probably funding ISIS, and asking if they want the receipt draws attention to the fact they got it, lest they become ' that eejit' that's standing there giving out about nothing while the queue behind them slowly dies of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They will only print it if you ask for it, no need for them to have loads of paper hanging out of the machine if no-one wants them.

The machine will record each purchase in memory and can print them all out later for audits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Expenses for work.
    Vat receipts.
    Proof of purchase.
    Warranty.
    Exchanges.

Any number of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Because underneath every cash register there's a hood of mafia mice with their AK47s aimed at the cashier.
    It's a racket they got going bleeding the mice printing unions.
    The more gets printed the more they gets paid capische?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Im a manager in a retail store and apparently the Revenue send out tests that your offering receipts ...one of the stores got checked for it....most customers refuse the receipts so its just to save paper...and some odd ones ask you to do contactless but still want the visa slip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Boss is on the fiddle and wants the least paper-trail possible. "Never give them a receipt unless they ask for one, ok?". Cash is King.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think the real question after reading the thread is - why do people ask questions with such obvious answers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

kippy wrote: »
    Some people like receipts for a number of reasons. Some don't want the wasted paper.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've changed my diet slightly, eating more vegetables , eating a proper breakfast and drinking more water and I've noticed I'm ****eing better and more regul. ... I'm in the wrong thread , aren't I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the doughnut. End of transaction.

We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut! I got the documentation right here. Oh, wait it's at home. In the file. Under 'D.'
    Mitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they'd never ask you that in Greece
    Never

• Registered Users Posts: 30,301 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Generally in supermarkets the receipt is printed automatically. The cashier asks do you want it because often people don't and they just pop it in the bin at their counter. So the receipt doesn't end up being littered somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

It's always painful seeing how much VAT is tagged onto everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

......... wrote: »
    It's always painful seeing how much VAT is tagged onto everything.

Until you're in a position to claim for Diesel... you almost like the fact that we're being rode.

biko wrote: »
    Mitch

The wonderful wonderful Mitch, RIP. My first thought too when I read the title. And now I'm off to Youtube, to laugh yet again at the bouyancy of citrus, rice and hungry for 2000 of something etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

PARlance wrote: »
    Until you're in a position to claim for Diesel... you almost like the fact that we're being rode.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

ask the fella who ''robbed'' the jambon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

gramar wrote: »

I like the way they have a photo of a jambon with the narrative "file photo of a jambon".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Because a lot of people don't want receipts (for some bizarre reason imho).

I always ask for a receipt even when not given one, partially to keep track of spending, but also because I oft get wrongly charged in places like SuperValu :rolleyes:

armaghlad wrote: »
    Saving paper.

They are always printed though from my experience and they bin them if people don't want them.

I always want my receipt anyway as I check back over them to ensure things are correct. Also need to be in the habit of it for when I'm travelling for work as I have to produce every original receipt in order to get my expenses back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

So you can flash it at the security guard who's making it a bit too too obvious you're being watched.

M&S?

Well Lah Dee Dah

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

By law they must offer the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

No I don't want a receipt I'm eating my breakfast, Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 30,301 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You should always ask for a receipt if your buying petrol or diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I don't like receipts and will only take it if the total seems wrong

Advertisement