Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenter falls off ladder loses €60k claim.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've been in charge of health and safety, or maybe I still am in charge of health and safety.. anyway, one day we got a surprise inspection and the inspector started highlighting things we should change. So I asked for a guide book, or what regulations we should be using, any kind of instructions that we could follow to make ourselves more compliant. The inspector looked a bit taken aback and flustered by the question. They had sent out posters previously, the kind with one picture and a tick, and another picture with an x. The inspector pointed to that and said it should be something like that. Not a clue. I don't think we've had an inspection since.

It is a money making racket, I don't think anyone really knows what they're doing.

I call them textbook inspectors. The type of people who probably never worked on a site or similar but gets all his answers from books. You can spot them from a far with there pristine work clothes and hard hat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

In my Opinion the Carpenter/Gentleman should have won his case for damages of 60000 euros .

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

do some people actually need to be trained to use a ladder?
    Page 1: Going up.
    Page 2: Coming down.

Don't forget "Keep your hands on the sides."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've been in charge of health and safety, or maybe I still am in charge of health and safety.. anyway, one day we got a surprise inspection and the inspector started highlighting things we should change. So I asked for a guide book, or what regulations we should be using, any kind of instructions that we could follow to make ourselves more compliant. The inspector looked a bit taken aback and flustered by the question. They had sent out posters previously, the kind with one picture and a tick, and another picture with an x. The inspector pointed to that and said it should be something like that. Not a clue. I don't think we've had an inspection since.

It is a money making racket, I don't think anyone really knows what they're doing.

It's only for companies to cover their arse. You wouldn't believe the difference in the safety procedures we're supposed to follow and the ones we actually follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Don't forget your safety harness if you are working higher than 3 feet

With the 6 foot lanyard :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

jonon9 wrote: »
    Yip give it an aul kick with your foot first :pac:

And do your groin in. :(

An old football injury came back to embarrassingly haunt me!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

jonon9 wrote: »
    You be surprised by the number of people who don't know how to use a ladder properly.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to use cable ties.

Some guy asked me how to use a handsaw a while back,
    I told him 'you dont'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Just like those stupid bloody manual handling courses.
    Come on. How difficult can it be to handle a manual? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Page 1: Going up.
    Page 2: Coming down.

I hope it wasnt a two day course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I hope it wasnt a two day course.
    It was originally supposed to be, but no one wanted to spend the night up the ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

In my Opinion the Carpenter/Gentleman should have won his case for damages of 60000 euros .

Why..?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I once told a dwarf to put on his hard hat, but he said it was a an elf and safety rule that didn't apply to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Without a doubt. Anyone else have to complete a training course teaching you how to sit at your desk? Not joking before anyone asks.

Noveight wrote: »
    Why..?
    Why Not?

The Gentleman/Carpenter can appeal the case higher courts. The Judge Opinion was Nonsense and this Man had a claim for 60000 euros in my Opinion.

Berserker wrote: »
    Without a doubt. Anyone else have to complete a training course teaching you how to sit at your desk? Not joking before anyone asks.

Yes.... In a certain company I worked in there was an online cbt course on how to sit on your chair at your desk. It was a mandatory course that lasted an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The Gentleman/Carpenter can appeal the case higher courts. The Judge Opinion was Nonsense and this Man had a claim for 60000 euros in my Opinion.

He fell through his own fault as he didn't put the ladder up correctly. Why should anybody else pay for his negligence? Im sick of paying over the odds for insurance. My friend paid €100,000 for his insurance this year up 30%. It's not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yes.... In a certain company I worked in there was an online cbt course on how to sit on your chair at your desk. It was a mandatory course that lasted an hour.

A 'consultant' came in to us, with a wonderful presentation and practical demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

The idea of the safe pass and manual handling is more to cover an employer in a case like this.

Worker does something stupid like this and sues, "your honour he was trained in the safety​ in the workplace, but ignored his mandatory training"

Where as if they don't have any course like manual handling done "ah Jaysus i never received any training in using a dolly and tried to lift a heavy load and put my bleedin back out your honor"

"Tsk tsk my good boy, those irresponsible holigans here's your €30,000 payout"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Using the Ladder like a Boss....
    Try explaining this one to the judge when you fall :D
    iQVDefb.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Why Not?

Excellent well thought out argument there.

pilly wrote: »
    Excellent well thought out argument there.
    Excuse me

He fell through his own fault as he didn't put the ladder up correctly. Why should anybody else pay for his negligence? Im sick of paying over the odds for insurance. My friend paid €100,000 for his insurance this year up 30%. It's not right.[/QUOTE was injured in accident and is entitled to compensation. In law and in my opinion.
    The case was worth 60000 euros as he was the Injured party it is the law to pay for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Noveight wrote: »
    Why..?

He was clearly being contrary for the sake of it and people were wonderfully ignoring him right up until you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

...My friend paid €100,000 for his insurance this year up 30%. It's not right.

100k,Christ, what's he driving..the space shuttle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

...My friend paid €100,000 for his insurance this year up 30%. It's not right.

Em , just on the basis of the thread , I don't we're talking about motor insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

He was clearly being contrary for the sake of it and people were wonderfully ignoring him right up until you.

Not necessarily. Some people genuinely hold ridiculous opinions. I like to hear them sometimes, for entertainments sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes because you have muppets like this who fall and then try and sue.
    Same as working in any basic job you get training on how to pick up a box so that if you tweak your back you cannot sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Business insurance, public liability etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

So your saying he deserves 60k for his own stupidity, come on off it ya chancer.
    Everyb ody has to look after their own safety when working alone, he should have made sure the ladder was on stable ground and secure before starting the task at hand.

He fell to his own doing and he wants to put the blame on someone else typical pass the blame game. Good call from the judge.

Advertisement