Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well the only thing I can add is to seek clarity on what battery, the only new batteries being made by Tesla for legacy models is the 90 350v pack.

So your car would now be a S 90.

Alternatively the price they quoted is for a refurbished 70 battery but I highly doubt that given the cost quoted

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You need to factor in what a 2018 car costs in money terms vs an older car.

If the difference is over 20 k to buy then you are saving with the older car.

If you buy a Model S at 40 k instead of 65 k for example - you've got 25 k in your pocket to play with.

Not saying you should buy a 40 k Model S just an illustration

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A 2016 still has battery warranty until 2024! Only the older batteries fitted up until about 2015 are known to give trouble and I'd be confident that by 2024, even here in Ireland, there will be places other than Tesla that can fix battery issues. For a fraction of the price of Tesla. And don't forget that if the worst case scenario comes and your just over 8 year old Tesla would have an expensive battery problem, you can take out the 17 battery modules and sell them for over $1k each on eBay and scrap the car (sell it to a dismantler like Traynors for a few grand). So even then your 8+ year old car would still be worth at least €17-18k!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Nice looking 2019 100D in Kearys, asking €72,900. To me looks a lot better value than the 100 in Beshoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

• Advertisement

Or if none in Ireland you could transporter across to UK for less than ~€800 and get battery sorted there

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

I'll ask them to confirm. I'm looking at a used Model S 70 and I wanted to ask about the cost of replacing the battery before buying. Tesla confirmed 20k would be the cost of the battery only before labour/parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The other thing to remember is if you consider the 40-65k price difference and allow "25k to play with", your car will still be an older car and be worth less than the 65k car which has more to depreciate.

A new 85 pack (350v 100kWh pack) would be significantly better in terms of degradation etc than the old 70 especially comparing the "real 70" in the nosecone car vs the "software limited 75" 70 pack in the facelift cars.

Don't think you can get a 100kWh battery on a non 100 Model S, need extra suspension support due to weight threshold

They have been selling "85" packs that are 350v 100kWh packs in the US for a year now.

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+ | Tesla Motors Club

• Advertisement

I read that thread previously, I'm not convinced it's the full 100pack, think there's chatter about 2 modules left blank so not full weight. Some SC release to full 90kWh potential from memory and some software restrict to 85kWh so very hit and miss

Yes it's very ad hoc.

I've seen one used P90+ for sale, a car that was never sold new!

I think if the rest of my car was in PWO I'd drop the money for a brand new 90 battery pack as long as SuC network expanded and of sufficient capacity.

Anyhow, years away from that decision

...but I think Tesla are inflating the battery cost to move the free SuC cars onto the scrapheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I think if the rest of my car was in PWO I'd drop the money for a brand new 90 battery pack as long as SuC network expanded and of sufficient capacity.

€20k battery - if you covered another 200,000kms on it, that's be €0.10/km for the battery cost alone. It wouldn't be financially prudent but neither is a €65k Hyundai EV or €80k Model 3 😎.

But it's worth it to stop them removing free supercharging! (not financially, but in my head!)

Free SuC is a nice feeling alright

Nice feeling but financially worth very little to most owners, maybe couple hundred max per year for 95% of owners

So I haven't properly timed a SuC session before but did so today as I needed to hit 90% to make it to next SuC...

Arrived after 2hrs driving at 10%. V2 superchargers.

First 10% in 5 minutes.

Next 10% in 5 minutes.

Next 10% in 7 minutes

Next 10% in 9 minutes (now at 50%)

Next 10% in 9 minutes

Next 10% in 11 minutes

Next 10% in 13 minutes

Next 10% in 24 minutes, and car now charging at 7kW.

So strategy is clear, quick stops at low SOC and get back on the road

In Ireland? 2 SuC in one day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They quoted me 14k in January on my P85+

figures seem to be all over the place.

Castlebellingham, Glasgow for 15 minutes, Dundee for 15 minutes to get to Aberdeen, me go sleeps now

Not uncommon, I'd be doing it a lot now (if I had Severus still) going meath to cork return. Ballacolla and mahon. Prob stop at ballacolla on the way home for 5 mins too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah I was down in Killarney for a few days, and coming home, an option was to go via Cork & M8 so a 2 stop SuC trip….

Belfast to West Cork would be a 3 SuC stop trip in my SR+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What are the chances of getting a model S with the jump seats in Ireland for around the 40k mark. Did they have to be ordered at first purchase or can they be retrofitted.

I'm going to change from my Outlander phev to a EV. Big and all as the Outlander is we still can't fit 3 kids in car seats/boosters in it.

I do see the 7 seater model S on occasion in the UK on auto trader, but Brexit has kinda scuppered any hope of bringing in one at a reasonable price.

What else should I be looking out for. Battery size, performance, auto pilot?

I'm pretty rural so for the majority of driving it is 10 km to drop kids to school. 30 km into Galway for work (if we get back to the office next year) and same 40km coming home.

About once a month I'd visit my parents in Limerick. 160km round trip on the motorway.

I've looked at the new ID4 & Inoniq 5 etc but when the money gets above 40 k very quickly unless you get the big standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

I think they were only available as an option at order-time, I don't think they can be retrofitted. There are very few of them in Ireland, you'll need to jump on any new car for sale online.

Do check the size limitations before you buy them. They have quite low height tolerances which limits their usefulness.

"The Tesla built in rear facing child seats are child restraint systems and are approved to United Nations ECE Regulation R44.04 standards for use by children in Mass Groups II and III, weighing 15 - 36 kg. These seats must only be used for children who are between 3 and 12 years old, and 98 - 135 cm tall."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've seen that mentioned a few time but the kids are small. 5,3 and a 6 month old. So they will be able to fit for a few years yet.

It's an ideal family car Grumpypants. I'll keep an eye out for 7 seaters and post here if I see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

I've a seven seater from new and it has been brilliant. My youngest, now 9 has just about outgrown it so if you expect to be putting teenagers back there, it's not happening! In terms of the seats, kids absolutely love them - I think the acceleration when they are rear facing is the bit they love the most - that or the fact that they can open the boot themselves (when in park) with the hidden button.

Anyhow, whenever Elon get's his ass in gear and starts producing RHD versions of the new S, you can certainly have my one for the right price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

And to add, it's the best seven seater we have ever owned / rented - and we've had a few - Vito, VWs, X5 etc.

Advertisement