Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you let this happen to your kid?

Options

Comments

Seriously, that's airport security for you. They have a job and they are sticking to it.
    I recently went through airport security, hand luggage only, I'm well used to it. I had a bottle that was over 100mls, but i only filled it halfway. Had a big row with security who told me it was over the 100 MLS liquid allowance. Clearly half full. Eventually a supervisor came over & let me through.
    My friends child, and her buggy were pulled over for more of a search.
    That's life, the child was 3. But sure what harm, we didn't complain, over in less than 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Effects wrote: »
    100-2042-gthmb.jpg

is that the lunatic that killed all those people in norway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Regarding the whole "would you let this happen to your child?" question - what would you do to change it? Argue? Get violent? Call a lawyer? And you there stood in your socks, with a head full of seeing Mickey and fancy yank hotels with topless waitresses. And all that saving you did just to pay for it all. You'd smile and hope the little fecker wasn't smuggling any contraband, that's what you'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

No different guy the guy in the picture murdered many african americans in a church if I'm not mistaken.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You can thank 9/11 and the paranoid world we now live in for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No this guy went into a church in the U.S. and killed people there iirc.

Beyondgone yeah, there isn't much you could do on the spot. Other than taking the details of the over-zealous guy and lodging a complaint afterwards. That's what I'd do anyway.
    And acting ridiculously enthusiastic while hurrying my little guy away from there to the nearest ice-cream seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ok i just saw the poster was some libertarian something other.....
    *Unfollows *

Tbh, the regular violation by US police of what we'd consider natural freedoms over here might drive me towards libertarianism if I lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He'll probably get a pay raise after this video is shown to his boss of him following their search protocol to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The TSA guy probably saw the video being recorded and was thinking "Well, this is going on FB. No way am I going to be pulled in for poor pat down procedure just because someone put me under pressure by filming me. F*ck that."

If lady had recorded the whole exchange, I suspect it probably showed a whole load of nothing.

The only way the young lad was still saying "I don't know what I did", hours later, was in response to the mother asking him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Nope. That was this terrorist:

217034-norwayfreemasonAFP-1311603218-648-640x480.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

The TSA guy probably saw the video being recorded and was thinking "Well, this is going on FB. No way am I going to be pulled in for poor pat down procedure just because someone put me under pressure by filming me. F*ck that."

http://time.com/4715428/tsa-pat-down-boy-video-jennifer-williamson-dallas-airport/
    The mother's explanation.
    The whole thing is a bit like speed traps-on the not dangerous roads rather than the roads where traveling at speed is much more dangerous and where it might be better to patrol. It's the shooting fish in the barrel scenario to fill a quota rather than doing some drudge work to actually make a difference. Henry Kissinger was even given a pat down by TSA at La Guardia:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

"Eh sorry, but would you mind awfully not searching my red suitcase too rigorously as it has fragile items".

/Bomb disposal called in to search Red suitcase.

They should have just said nothing. These TSA twats couldn't care less about special needs and if you ask for someone to have a less than thorough search, they just assume the kid is strapped with dynamite.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Yes. It happened to our kid last Summer. He didn't have any sensory issues so there was nothing to cause outrage over. But the man was doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No I like to subject my kid/kids/pets/myself to a security system with clear holes in it which can be easily identified and exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

That TSA guy looks like the guy who was Rear Ended in that movie Deliverance.

:pac: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEK....WEEEEEEE....weeeeeee:eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

While it did seem strangely thorough given the age of the child and no suspicious circumstances to prevent it, the accusations of paedophilia are also ludicrous. If this man were a paedophile, first of all do you think he'd detain a child just because he liked the look of him that much, and then feel him up under this guise in front of his entire family. Im sure he was just following protocol, maybe the child was one of those random drug screening where every few people are searched thoroughly for drug evidence. Even if they've shown no reason to be suspiocus

Airports can be sometimes unnecessarily strict places and I just think its a bit poor to slander this man by accusing him of paedophilia over this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I find it absolutely ridiculous that so many people defend this TSA crap. Touching peoples' genital areas without consent is not ok, period. It wouldn't even have stopped the 9/11 bombers ffs.

At what point are we allowed to say that the price of "security" is too high, exactly, that living in such a f*cked up society with so much Big Brother crap is actually less preferable than the slight risk of becoming the victim of a terrorist attack?

I have absolutely no qualms about saying that I'd rather risk being blown up in a bombing than allowing the government to build a permanent record of every single website I've ever visited to potentially use against me for blackmail if I ever became a journalist, whistleblower or politician for instance. At a certain stage, security is simply not worth the freedoms we're being asked to give up, and this officially sanctioned molestation in airports is 100% part of this category. The very remote risk of being blown up is worth it if the alternative is that we don't get to keep our personal freedoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I find it absolutely ridiculous that so many people defend this TSA crap. Touching peoples' genital areas without consent is not ok, period. It wouldn't even have stopped the 9/11 bombers ffs.

At what point are we allowed to say that the price of "security" is too high, exactly, that living in such a f*cked up society with so much Big Brother crap is actually less preferable than the slight risk of becoming the victim of a terrorist attack?

Great point well made, but I wouldn't agree 100%.
    I like to feel safe, and maybe my scale of what is acceptable is just broader than yours.
    I think the kind of search your man performed would be ok on an adult, provided it's just the random occasional search (not a systematic search of all adults).

There should really an adjusted scale of what is acceptable search on children, and imo, the search performed in the video should be out of bounds.

I do agree 100% on the fact that we, as a society, have to decide on how far we will tolerate intrusion in our lives as little human beings pottering around the planet on our little human beings' business, by the big machine.
    At the end of the day, all these rules, regulations, and procedures we live under are meant to enable us to live happy lives, not ultra safe, ultra healthy, ultra long, ultra productive, or ultra-something lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I don't see what the problem is here.
    It seemed like a professionally conducted pat down.
    I know the lads young but they have to be thorough, plenty of kids being brainwashed/forced to blow themselves up all over the world every day so he has to be checked.

On a separate note this kind of faux outrage is the reason I no longer use Facebook and look down my nose at anyone who does.

While I feel sorry for the young lad, I feel most sorry for the auld lad just doing his job who ends up being criticised and abused with allegations of him being a paedophile by a load of cyber halfwits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

what does a terrorist look like

I haven't seen the video yet but from reading the reports of it neither the child nor the TSA Agent are the problem here. The TSA have a job to do and personally I'm quite happy to see them do it. If SuperMom hadn't made an issue of her child being searched then the child most likely wouldn't have been as upset as she makes out he was.

We were coming back through Ismir Airport (Turkey) one time with our daughter, who was 14 or 15 at the time, and is quadraplegic and wheelchair bound all of her life. There's a search there at the actual entrance door to the airport nowadays and they took her out of the chair, one of them carried her through the metal detectors (we weren't allowed to) and sat her in a plastic chair whilst a female guard patted her down and ran a wand over her. Her wheelchair was put through the x-ray machine and also searched. She thought it was hilarious !! Absolutely ridiculous but that's their job so leave them at it is my opinion.

Incidentally, My Mrs nearly had a sh*t attack at the same time as her bag was stopped and pulled apart for a 'suspicious looking object' which happened to be a hair straighteners !! Good spot though in fairness though as they can look dodgy being closed with the cable wrapped around them. They weren't going to presume it was a straighteners though - they wanted to see it, and put the bag through again for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I have absolutely no qualms about saying that I'd rather risk being blown up in a bombing than allowing the government to build a permanent record of every single website I've ever visited to potentially use against me for blackmail if I ever became a journalist, whistleblower or politician for instance. At a certain stage, security is simply not worth the freedoms we're being asked to give up, and this officially sanctioned molestation in airports is 100% part of this category. The very remote risk of being blown up is worth it if the alternative is that we don't get to keep our personal freedoms.

If you have nothing to hide you've nothing to fear, I couldn't care less if they keep a record of the websites I visit if it's part of a plan to keep people safe.

As for saying you'd rather risk being blown up instead well that's just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Just watching the video I see absolutely no problem with this search, atthe end of the day if it's to keep people safe and for better security what's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

They're not just there to frisk for bombs you know, drug mules are also a thing and they're not above using children who may be less likely to be searched. It the mother made a big and argumentative deal about not touching her son they may have been suspicious that the reason for that was not entirely innocent. Who's heard of SPD? It sound like it's on the autism spectrum but if sombody threw that acronym at me I'd be like GTFO.

That said, TSA agents are humorless robots and the search and detention did seem like a power trip to 'teach this uppity woman a leson'.
    That also said, she should have carried supporting medical documentation. My mum suffers from sleep apnea and has to carry a breating device as part of her carry on luggage. Each time she flies she has to get and explanatory waiver from the airline explaining what it is and that it does not constitute an 'extra piece of luggage but rather a medial device'. If the woman knew that searching her son would be a problem she should have anticipated that in advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Like a kid wearing fúck all to hide anything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I watched the video and see no problem whatsoever with it. He does not grope the child. He's carrying out a proper search and the fact that the mother kicked off so much about it is why it's so through. She arose suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

over the top and bullying , he hadn't set off any metal detectors ,its a kids who was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, a 10 second pat down would have done the job and found anything that could bring a commercial jet down which is the point of the thing. This was a public pantomime

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

silverharp wrote: »
    over the top and bullying , he hadn't set off any metal detectors ,its a kids who was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, a 10 second pat down would have done the job and found anything that could bring a commercial jet down which is the point of the thing. This was a public pantomime

How do you know that? He could have packets of heroin strapped to his thigh, or in his waist band, these lads are there to do a job and everybody is treated the same man, woman or child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How do you know that? He could have packets of heroin strapped to his thigh, or in his waist band, these lads are there to do a job and everybody is treated the same man, woman or child.

who cares if he had heroin on him, it was a domestic flight , its supposed to be an anti terrorism measure not a fishing exercise for contraband. After 10 seconds it would be clear he wouldn't have had anything on him that would bring down a jet.
    Also grandpagropesalot was being creepy, pretty much everywhere he used back of the hand he went over again with the front of his hand.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement