Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Commissioner Refuses to Go.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Nobody does brass neck like the Irish.

Or rather no one else tolerates and bows to it as much as the Irish

Dayo93 wrote: »
    And i would suspect under there super's command were told to input this data , the ordinary rank and file have nothing to gain but you will find the top brass do by meeting targets

and getting promotions and fat golden pensions for doing so . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

melloa wrote: »
    i had a nice task at the weekend convincing my nephew (10), that law enforcement is honest,

it's alright for old cynical ones like ourselves,

but we could have a disaster generation coming up if generation z don't respect the police

or any of the institutions of the state

we really screwed up didn't we:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I'm possibly off on this, but is Noreen the boss? I thought the Boss got to decide who "went" and who stayed. So she is the Boss? She gets to decide? Lol. The others must have some dirt on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

......... wrote: »
    and getting promotions and fat golden pensions for doing so . . .

no garda grade is badly paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

not being funny or anything but it's like an episode of police acadamy

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Clearly Noireen O'Sullivan inherited an almighty mess from her predecessors.

The more I learn about it the more I think she should be kept on. It will take a long time to uncover all the corruption and nonsense that went on, and at least some of what went on before has been uncovered on her watch.

A lot of previous commissioners retired from the job smelling of roses, when clearly there was a lot of nonsense going on in the background. So you can either cover it all up and look great or uncover it.

At some stage there needs to be a huge restructure of the Gardaí. Keep O'Sullivan in place until a proper structure has been agreed on and implemented and then she can step aside.

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My two First Cousins are Gaurds and 100 per cent have distance themselves for the public. One off them was mad into Soccer and never had any other interest in other sports now he loves the GAA sports ? I said this the him and he went red in the face .

Yea I knew someone who left the gaurds like some sort of cultist. Hung around with gaurds only and kept to himself. And they wonder why people don't trust them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yea I knew someone who left the gaurds like some sort of cultist. Hung around with gaurds only and kept to himself. And they wonder why people don't trust them?
    What is with the Gaurds and the GAA?. I Went to Garda Station a few years back to hand in my driving Licence Insurance cert it was on the hot summers day. The day of the all Irish hurling final and the the radio on in Garda Station the Garda said its nice day today. He asked me was I listen to the radio to all Irish hurling final and I said no interest in GAA hurling. Next what ever way I looked there was four other garda in Station they give me Dagger looks over saying I have no interest in GAA hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭YourSuperior

What is with the Gaurds and the GAA?. I Went to Garda Station a few years back to hand in my driving Licence Insurance cert it was on the hot summers day. The day of the all hurling final and the the radio on in Garda Station the Garda said its nice day today. He asked me was I listen to the radio to all hurling final and I said no interest in GAA hurling. Next what ever way I looked there was four other garda in Station they give me Dagger looks over saying I have no interest in GAA hurling.

You don't follow social norms -- cultural, societal expectations and can't be trusted. They were attempting to enforce social norms informally through body language and non-verbal communication cues.

• Advertisement

not being funny or anything but it's like an episode of police acadamy

hqdefault.jpg

If only it were.

Unfortunately, There's very little that's funny for ordinary citizens in a so called developed western country having a police force that cannot be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

steddyeddy wrote: »

You talk of one Garda you knew, and the way he chose to live his life thereafter. And then brush the rest of them as being the same.
    Talk about generalising.
    They'd have every reason to wonder about the public in your scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

i had a nice task at the weekend convincing my nephew (10), that law enforcement is honest,

it's alright for old cynical ones like ourselves,

but we could have a disaster generation coming up if generation z don't respect the police

What have they done to earn the respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Fire his ass !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

snowflaker wrote: »
    We need an external Commissioner from outside Ireland to come in and clean up the boys in blue

Michael Chiklis would be my pick for the position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Look we all know this is the result of cuts and politics. The government had to pay off a massive bank debt hence vital services in all parts of the civil service had to be slashed. The problem with doing this is political fallout when inevitably these cuts effect crime stats, the health service etc.. I have no doubt in my mind this directive to produce fake stats to make it look like everything was rosy came from the very top of government and the commissioner will be the fall guy/gal eventually.

Personally speaking i have zero trust in the Gardai after this and the whistle blower scandal and the worrying thing is this is more than likely all tip of the iceberg stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Martin Callinan is still able to come and go as he pleases to Garda HQ. What a joke tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

a lot of stupidity being talked here
    lads who changed from soccer to gaa after they joined
    lads who wanted to hand out with workmates afer they joined

ffs its easy to see its you not them who have the problem

as for norin , yes she should be long gone and its just arrogance that keeps here there . a very common feature of politically appointed garda management ( ranks above inspector )

as for getting rid of here well the minister for justice can sack here in the morning but wont . why is that i wonder ? doesnt want to sack the first female to get the job might be ?

A outside even non irish civilian commissioner would be the best option by far to replace her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Look we all know this is the result of cuts and politics. The government had to pay off a massive bank debt hence vital services in all parts of the civil service had to be slashed. The problem with doing this is political fallout when inevitably these cuts effect crime stats, the health service etc.. I have no doubt in my mind this directive to produce fake stats to make it look like everything was rosy came from the very top of government and the commissioner will be the fall guy/gal eventually.

Personally speaking i have zero trust in the Gardai after this and the whistle blower scandal and the worrying thing is this is more than likely all tip of the iceberg stuff.

Nothing to do with cuts. They're going examining the accounts for 2002 to 2008 next when the country was awash with money and as one professor of business said on SOR this morning, could actually be worse.

As the same person alluded to this morning, 'it was just AGS trousering the money'.
    And no one asked questions because as she also said, 'they're the guards, we're supposed to trust them'.

My paraphrasing said woman but podcast should be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

mynamejeff wrote: »
    a lot of stupidity being talked here
    lads who changed from soccer to gaa after they joined
    lads who wanted to hand out with workmates afer they joined

ffs its easy to see its you not them who have the problem

as for norin , yes she should be long gone and its just arrogance that keeps here there . a very common feature of politically appointed garda management ( ranks above inspector )

as for getting rid of here well the minister for justice can sack here in the morning but wont . why is that i wonder ? doesnt want to sack the first female to get the job might be ?

A outside even non irish civilian commissioner would be the best option by far to replace her

You don't think it's believable that four Gardaí would stop watching the hurling final to come and stare daggers at someone at the public counter because they said they don't follow GAA?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

You don't think it's believable that four Gardaí would stop watching the hurling final to come and stare daggers at someone at the public counter because they said they don't follow GAA?

id say some people would complain about a garda's breath if they got cpr from the garda

but thats a side issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I really felt strongly that NOS should go over the Maurice McCabe matter. Not so much on this one.

At the end of the day it's the ordinary Gardaí that were falsifying figures here. Happens in all big organisations. Doesn't necessarily mean he CEO is to blame.

pilly wrote: »
    I really felt strongly that NOS should go over the Maurice McCabe matter. Not so much on this one.

At the end of the day it's the ordinary Gardaí that were falsifying figures here. Happens in all big organisations. Doesn't necessarily mean he CEO is to blame.

While individual Gardaí can take the blame for some of it there is definitely management fault also.

While individual Gardaí can take the blame for some of it there is definitely management fault also.

Yeah I agree, management certainly had to know this craic was going on but I'm just not convinced that getting rid of one person in this instance would solve all problems.

Over McCabe I felt she should step down whilst the investigation is going on because it's very difficult for your subordinates to be honest if you're still the boss. I still think she should step down for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's clear that gardai can no longer be trusted to govern themselves. Bring in an Outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think it was Jack Chamber's for the PAC this morning who lead a line of questioning with regards to senior Garai receiving bonus payments for better traffic policing figures.

N O'S said she had no info to hand to answer properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

This is the mess and corruption you end up when the police regulate themselves

humberklog wrote: »
    I think it was Jack Chamber's for the PAC this morning who lead a line of questioning with regards to senior Garai receiving bonus payments for better traffic policing figures.

N O'S said she had no info to hand to answer properly.

Bonuses for better figures is nothing new though in fairness. Neither is the fiddling of those same figures.

My point is that this is not necessarily down to NOS.

• Advertisement

Bonuses for better figures is nothing new though in fairness. Neither is the fiddling of those same figures.

My point is that this is not necessarily down to NOS.

It's not the Gardaí or sergeants who get those bonuses. It's the Superintendenta and above that decide how figures should be recorded.

Advertisement