Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To tattoo or not to tattoo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

From a distance they looked like hares?

Boom boom

Seems I misjudged how well-known that joke was. I thought it was one that didn't need the punchline pointed out. Enjoy your thanks, you fecker :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Almost got one a few years ago but the aftercare sounded a bit gross so I didn't bother.

I was out running today and saw a middle-aged woman in shorts a few feet ahead who had the most horrific and torturous looking varicose veins all over both of her calves.
    It was only as I got closer that I realized it actually was a tattoo- some kind of blue thunderbolt design on both legs..??

The problem with tattoos is the fact that what you think is tasteful or attractive at one point in your life will invariably look awful at some point down the line.

...I just don't understand it. You "fancy a change" so you go to the Salon and get a radical hair cut and maybe an exotic colour. You feel great for 24 hours over the weekend but then on Monday morning your waiting for the bus in the rain and you know you look like a parakeet and you can't wait to change it.
    When you in getting the tattoo does it not occur to you that this is something you can't change on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Stigura wrote: »
    Put simply? I have a load of tattoos. But, ye wouldn't know that unless ye saw me with my clothes off. And That's not liable to happen! :eek:

So, yeah. Don't worry about them. Morbidly obese people are harder on My eye than tattoos. And Those f**kers can't hide That.

Ha. You'd hate me, fat AND tattoo'd. Im like your kryptonite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If someone has a tattoo that means something to them, then I don't see how that's any of my business. People getting stupid crap though just for the sake of it, well that's dumb. I've seen people that look like someone just doodled all over them. I'm not a fan of them myself, I'd get sick of it fairly quickly and probably attempt to scrub it off in the shower

I've a single tattoo where the sun doesn't shine, and don't care if some random person approves or not. That said, I wouldn't personally get tattoos where they'd be unavoidably on show all the time but what anyone else does with or on their own body is their business alone and it doesn't make them sheep or special or anything besides another ordinary person doing whatever they want.

Some people think far too much about things that have nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Remember OP, it's OK for other people to not be you.

Candie wrote: »
    I've a single tattoo where the sun doesn't shine, and don't care if some random person approves or not. That said, I wouldn't personally get tattoos where they'd be unavoidably on show all the time but what anyone else does with or on their own body is their business alone and it doesn't make them sheep or special or anything besides another ordinary person doing whatever they want.

I've 11 tattoos, from tiny to fairly big, you'd never know when im dressed. I love them. Will likely get more over the years. Few piercings too, but all hidden or easily hidden.

As for other people and their tattoos, I like looking at them but genuinely couldn't give a fiddlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i have 6 and 1 more booked in next week

they have enhanced my life

but horses for courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The problem with tattoos is the fact that what you think is tasteful or attractive at one point in your life will invariably look awful at some point down the line.

Tattooed or not, we're all going to look fairly awful at some point down the line.

The only thing stopping me from getting a tattoo is indecisiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Candie wrote: »
    it doesn't make them sheep or special or anything besides another ordinary person doing whatever they want.

But it does make them sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a tattoo thread and no pics, for shame

The same could be said about literally anything though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

There was a major erection when I was younger to get a tatto, not my click. Not sure if the hard on gang still have the hard on for them.

So many people wear trainers these days. Sheep.

Mobile phones? Sheep.

I can do it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

RayM wrote: »
    Tattooed or not, we're all going to look fairly awful at some point down the line.

The only thing stopping me from getting a tattoo is indecisiveness.

Yea, people call me indecisive, but personally, I'm not so sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How does that quote go again?

The difference between tattooed and non tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a sh!t that you don't have tattoos.

Not so sure about that one, I've had a number of tattooed friends try show off their new tattoos to me and when i say ive no interest itd be wasted on me they question me "would you never get 1?" As if I'm after telling them I'd leave a starving child lying on the roadside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Roy Keane said the truth when asked why he had his kids name tattooed on him and not his wife's. "My kids will always be my kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Skerries wrote: »
    a tattoo thread and no pics, for shame

I could set my camera to Self Portrait and pull my shirt up? But, believe me, forty years down the line? My stuff probably looks pretty disgusting :(

I know, for a Fact, my f**king Body does!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

They all go out of fashion eventually. And most people regret them later in life, even though few admit it

How can you possibly know that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How does that quote go again?

The difference between tattooed and non tattooed people is that tattooed people have tattoos.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Had a fairly large tattoo myself years ago alright, was pierced too, but just kinda grew out of it when I felt it wasn't me any more, really it looked a bit shìte, so I had the tatoo removed and the piercings out.

I still admire tattoos and piercings on some people as I see them as art, the intricacy of the work done and so on, but the standard shìte like martini glasses, tramp stamps, barcodes, roses, that shìt guys have on their necks... and faded tattoos, there's not much worse! If you're going to get a tattoo done, then maintain it rather than let it go to shìte. They look awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't get one myself but lots of people like them so if that's what they want then it's their business.

I think the mistake people sometimes make is going into the first tattoo parlour they see and the finished product might not be as good as they hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonder if you record them on eg passport applications? As distinguishing marks?

Must be useful for ID eg after an accident..

But self inflicted/paid for physical pain? :confused:

Graces7 wrote:
    Wonder if you record them on eg passport applications? As distinguishing marks?
    But self inflicted/paid for physical pain?

When I was arrested (convicted of nothing...) the cops said they wanted to make note of any tattoos I had. I asked could we sit down while we do this. They said no.
    They gave up after 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They all go out of fashion eventually. And most people regret them later in life, even though few admit it

Seeing as there`s been tattoos since at least the Neoleothic era (about 12,000 years ago) I highly doubt they will "go out of fashion eventually".

Personally I wouldn't get a tattoo but I can certainly admire a tattoo on someone else. Like everything there are nice ones and crap ones.

Seeing as there`s been tattoos since at least the Neoleothic era (about 12,000 years ago) I highly doubt they will "go out of fashion eventually".

Personally I wouldn't get a tattoo but I can certainly admire a tattoo on someone else. Like everything there are nice ones and crap ones.

Not really true, as they have been very much "in fashion" in recent years. While they have been around since Neolithic times, they have certainly not been "in fashion" during this entire time period

So it is possible they will go out of fashion again, such is fashion

So it is possible they will go out of fashion again, such is fashion

So as long as you didn't get them as a fashion statement you should be fine.

So as long as you didn't get them as a fashion statement you should be fine.

Tattoos are fashion statements, in the simplest most honest form

They are unique statements worn by people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I have a few, oh has a full sleeve and some others on his torso. I don't really care what other people think of them tbh. There my tattoos and I'm the one that has to live with them whether I love them in the future or not. People who judge people on tattoos now aren't people I would want to associate with me given that they are so common and not just among criminals like some people seem to assume.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement