Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To tattoo or not to tattoo?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How does that quote go again?

The difference between tattooed and non tattooed people is that tattooed people have tattoos.

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Had a fairly large tattoo myself years ago alright, was pierced too, but just kinda grew out of it when I felt it wasn't me any more, really it looked a bit shìte, so I had the tatoo removed and the piercings out.

I still admire tattoos and piercings on some people as I see them as art, the intricacy of the work done and so on, but the standard shìte like martini glasses, tramp stamps, barcodes, roses, that shìt guys have on their necks... and faded tattoos, there's not much worse! If you're going to get a tattoo done, then maintain it rather than let it go to shìte. They look awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't get one myself but lots of people like them so if that's what they want then it's their business.

I think the mistake people sometimes make is going into the first tattoo parlour they see and the finished product might not be as good as they hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonder if you record them on eg passport applications? As distinguishing marks?

Must be useful for ID eg after an accident..

But self inflicted/paid for physical pain? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Graces7 wrote:
    Wonder if you record them on eg passport applications? As distinguishing marks?
    But self inflicted/paid for physical pain?

When I was arrested (convicted of nothing...) the cops said they wanted to make note of any tattoos I had. I asked could we sit down while we do this. They said no.
    They gave up after 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They all go out of fashion eventually. And most people regret them later in life, even though few admit it

Seeing as there`s been tattoos since at least the Neoleothic era (about 12,000 years ago) I highly doubt they will "go out of fashion eventually".

Personally I wouldn't get a tattoo but I can certainly admire a tattoo on someone else. Like everything there are nice ones and crap ones.

Seeing as there`s been tattoos since at least the Neoleothic era (about 12,000 years ago) I highly doubt they will "go out of fashion eventually".

Personally I wouldn't get a tattoo but I can certainly admire a tattoo on someone else. Like everything there are nice ones and crap ones.

Not really true, as they have been very much "in fashion" in recent years. While they have been around since Neolithic times, they have certainly not been "in fashion" during this entire time period

So it is possible they will go out of fashion again, such is fashion

So it is possible they will go out of fashion again, such is fashion

So as long as you didn't get them as a fashion statement you should be fine.

So as long as you didn't get them as a fashion statement you should be fine.

Tattoos are fashion statements, in the simplest most honest form

They are unique statements worn by people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I have a few, oh has a full sleeve and some others on his torso. I don't really care what other people think of them tbh. There my tattoos and I'm the one that has to live with them whether I love them in the future or not. People who judge people on tattoos now aren't people I would want to associate with me given that they are so common and not just among criminals like some people seem to assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I've been getting tattoo'd since I was 17, and I've one or 2 that I'm not really mad about anymore but I don't regret them. What is life without a few mistakes? I've gotten one covered up and the cover up job is amazing. It's the tattoo that made me start wanting bigger tattoos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

They are unique statements worn by people

How could they be unique?

infogiver wrote: »
    How could they be unique?

Very easily?

Says you.

Says you.

Well perhaps you can give me your opinion on how they are not a fashion statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Maybe we can get it added to the upcoming 8th amendment in that you can do what you want with your own body ...

I don't have any myself but I don't have a problem with those that have them., not to fond of the neck ones, but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Klinger

Tattoos are always a mistake, the only question is how long it takes a person to come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

I can never understand why someone would do something permanent to give effect to a temporary fad/fashion/desire/emotion/opinion.

So many previous posters who are into their tattoos regret what they got when they were 10 years younger but fail to recognise that in 10 years time they'll likely regret just as much the tattoos they are currently getting.

#weneverlearn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Says you.

Well perhaps you can give me your opinion on how they are not a fashion statement
    Mine is not fashionable. To others it would be considered ugly. Its a piece of art from an artist i admire. I waited two years to decide on it to make sure it was right. Nobody else sees it except me and my missus. How on earth is that a fashion statement if nobody can see it. To some yes it is a fashion statement. IE the ones who get full sleeve tattoos and wear singlets all day to show them off. Not saying everyone who has a full sleeve tattoo are making fashion statements but im sure a few are. It all depends on the person and what they want. And even if they want it as a fashion statement who the hell cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Klinger wrote: »
    Tattoos are always a mistake, the only question is how long it takes a person to come to that conclusion.

What a load of crap, some people get married and subsequently regret getting married, should no one get married?

Just because you dislike something doesn't make it a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Klinger

Getting married or getting a tattoo are not comparable choices. However, if you insist that they are, getting rid of a spouse you regret marrying,  is easier than getting rid of a nasty tattoo - once you have come to your senses in both situations of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It has more to do with what they like than what other people think of them. If there are people who do it for approval from some people, it's no different to wearing the same kind of clothes as everyone. That's also done to gain and maintain approval.

I don't like tattoos when I focus on them, but I often don't notice them on people. They all look samey to me.

Its gas people here seem to think they speak for the masses of people with comments like all people who have tattoos regret them, or in 10 year's time they will regret them, how the **** do ye know ?? Tattoos have been around for ever, maybe not as poplar in Ireland as elsewhere but they have been here for ever.

Suppose all them famous soccer players will be all crying there eyes out in years to come over there tattoos, will they ****, o wait how I would I know...

I can never understand why someone would do something permanent to give effect to a temporary fad/fashion/desire/emotion/opinion.

So many previous posters who are into their tattoos regret what they got when they were 10 years younger but fail to recognise that in 10 years time they'll likely regret just as much the tattoos they are currently getting.

#weneverlearn

How do you know its temporary , Many folks get there wife's, children, partners names tattooed onto themselves , Many get there deceased whatever tattooed on to them self's, What's the problem ?

You can never understand can you not ? You must have little to understand in your life so.

I'm always slightly amused by the efforts to attach deep symbolism and meaning to them, "this means something to me".

It would seem footballers have deeper thoughts than scientists.

Which is not to say the opposite, that people with tattoos are stupid. That's just snobbery. But let's not intellectualise or overanalyse them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Really don't get the snobbery over it. "Ew, you got a tattoo? [insert fifteen snotty judgments about person's character, fashion sense, artistic style, intelligence, common sense, lack of foresight and probably parentage and pets too, presumably with nose stuck firmly to the ceiling]. -I- don't like them so how dare you like something I don't." If the knowledge that someone out there has a tattoo keeps you awake at night, I sympathise with your pain; I don't like judgmental nosey-parkers, but one has to accept that they exist in all walks of life too, and they're probably mostly normal, nice people outside the weird bee in their bonnet.

Don't have any myself, have an idea for one that I might like, but am unlikely to ever get it done as it's expensive and not that important to me (a black outline of a small ivy stem if anyone cares). I like some tattoos, dislike others, am neutral about most, but to jump to all sorts of conclusions about the person based on whether they have ink is way more offensive to basic decency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

They can look well on people with darker skin. They more often than not look awful on pasty white people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Genuinely never seen tattoo on any person that I have found nice. Don't like the colours used or the art form.

That said , that's my own personal choice and taste and I've no right to judge other people about them or to say to someone else to get one or not.

So OP, you need to make this decision yourself. The fact you are asking for confirmation here suggests that you might not really want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I think Ozzy Osbourne summed tattoos up best "If you want to different now then don't get a bloody Tattoo". Quote from an episode of The Osbournes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The most annoying question heavily tattooed people get is undoubtedly, "what to they mean?" That bloody show Miami Ink and the rest of them ruined it, where every single piece of body art has to have some contrived gut-wrenching tale of significance attached to them or else your tattoos are somehow less valid.

I always wondered why "I like the design and x form of art" isn't good enough for some people.

• Advertisement

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Mine is not fashionable. To others it would be considered ugly. Its a piece of art from an artist i admire. I waited two years to decide on it to make sure it was right. Nobody else sees it except me and my missus. How on earth is that a fashion statement if nobody can see it. To some yes it is a fashion statement. IE the ones who get full sleeve tattoos and wear singlets all day to show them off. Not saying everyone who has a full sleeve tattoo are making fashion statements but im sure a few are. It all depends on the person and what they want. And even if they want it as a fashion statement who the hell cares.

Fashionable and fashion statement are two different things
    By wearing something like a tattoo you are making a statement, it is a fashion statement, even if you are not trying to be fashionable

Don't know that you necessarily are, other than the sort of "statement" one makes by, say, wearing a pony-tail or earrings. The statement may well just be "I like these earrings" and "pony-tail is convenient". Which, sure, can count as a statement if you want, but by that stage anything's a statement. The statement I am making by wearing a jumper is that I'm finding it a tad chilly. Sure, that I am feeling a tad chilly is important to me right now, but it doesn't really bear deep analysis otherwise.

If I did get my little ivy twine and someone asked me "ooh, what does that mean?!", their response would be a blank look and something along the lines of "it means ivy. I like ivy." I mean, I probably could come up with some deep-sounding utter bull about the sturdy oak and the clinging vine and how it relates to a cat I had when I was seven, but people get an awful lot of bull out about Wordsworth's Daffodils or the writer with the blue curtains too and it doesn't necessarily mean that either a) they're right or b) he meant much more than s/he likes daffodils/blue.

OP, get a tattoo if you want it, don't if you don't. Really don't pay too much attention to what people have to say about it because there's an awful lot of rubbish spouted on the subject. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Samaris wrote: »
    Don't know that you necessarily are, other than the sort of "statement" one makes by, say, wearing a pony-tail or earrings. The statement may well just be "I like these earrings" and "pony-tail is convenient". Which, sure, can count as a statement if you want, but by that stage anything's a statement. The statement I am making by wearing a jumper is that I'm finding it a tad chilly. Sure, that I am feeling a tad chilly is important to me right now, but it doesn't really bear deep analysis otherwise.

If I did get my little ivy twine and someone asked me "ooh, what does that mean?!", their response would be a blank look and something along the lines of "it means ivy. I like ivy." I mean, I probably could come up with some deep-sounding utter bull about the sturdy oak and the clinging vine and how it relates to a cat I had when I was seven, but people get an awful lot of bull out about Wordsworth's Daffodils or the writer with the blue curtains too and it doesn't necessarily mean that either a) they're right or b) he meant much more than s/he likes daffodils/blue.

OP, get a tattoo if you want it, don't if you don't. Really don't pay too much attention to what people have to say about it because there's an awful lot of rubbish spouted on the subject. If you like it, that's all that matters.

I have nothing against tattoos, and don't mean fashion statement in a negative sense. The examples you have given are temporary. Choosing something to put on your skin for the rest of your life, even if there is no big inspiration behind it, is a fashion statement. And a pretty big one at that

Very easily?

But as soon as I see your tattoo I go to the tattoo parlour and get an identical tattoo and now it's not unique anymore

I have nothing against tattoos, and don't mean fashion statement in a negative sense. The examples you have given are temporary. Choosing something to put on your skin for the rest of your life, even if there is no big inspiration behind it, is a fashion statement. And a pretty big one at that

Like piercing your ears (or tongue or whatever other bits one might want to put holes in)?

Samaris wrote: »
    Like piercing your ears (or tongue or whatever other bits one might want to put holes in)?

But if you take your piercings out then the hole closes up and it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

TATTOO STORY. Believe it or not, guy gets a tattoo of Jane Mansfield[famous Hollywood actress who was decapitated in a car crash, forward some years this guy has a bike crash and
    only the head was torn off his tattoo. Weird eh. it is true I seen the photo + story in a tattoo magazine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get a henna tattoo. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Met someone with an ' only God can judge me ' tattoo,
    I instantly judged them to be an idiot.

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote: »
    Very easily?

But as soon as I see your tattoo I go to the tattoo parlour and get an identical tattoo and now it's not unique anymore
    And then you're the one who copied my tattoo verbatim because you're not capable of original thought. Doesn't matter if anyone else knows it, I will.

milehip wrote:
    Met someone with an ' only God can judge me ' tattoo, I instantly judged them to be an idiot.

Your tattoos can only ever be as deep as you are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd love to get the views of the people in the tattoos and piercings form. To make an educated debate as oppose to most here saying they them.

My OH has around 14 including a sleeve. She loves them. I have 6, all hidden. Out and about you'd never know I'd have them, but topless, you would.

Do people hate them? Of course. It's their right.
    Do people hate peanut butter? Of course.

Do people who have tattoos like peanut butter? Of course.

Everyone likes things that others hate. Everyone's hates things that others like.

If it ain't harming anyone, then let it be. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Unfortunately, people sometimes use opinions to mock others,as oppose to accept differences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Candie wrote: »
    I've a single tattoo where the sun doesn't shine
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24747720

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reysero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Zombie alert!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD: A zombie thread has arisen from the dead......... I shall wave my magic hammer and close it before the zombies rampage across the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement