Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To tattoo or not to tattoo?

• 26-03-2017 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Aprapos a thread elsewhere I'd love to know the general consensus here re tattoos.
    Pros and cons boardsies please.
    I absolutely hate them and more, I hate the mentality behind them.
    "Lets all go and get tattoos! Yeah! Look how outrageous we are!"
    Also, if your going to forget your loved ones names and DOBs unless you have them tattooed on your leg, should you be allowed out without a minder??
    Post edited by Kimbot on

Comments

If you want a tattoo get a tattoo. If you don't, don't. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lets all moan about people with tattoos! Look how outrageous we are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And yet if you wore the same clothes for the rest of your life people would think you weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you want one get one wherever you want but don't expect everybody to like them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'd be of the opinion, mind your own ****ing business, with regards to tattoos :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

infogiver wrote: »
    Is that what people say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Personally I really like tattoos, and I have often admired people who have cool ones. I would like to get a tattoo for the past 10 years or so but I have not found something I would be happy with for life.
    No gf /partner names or faces, no diy jobs either. It always looks terrible imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

endacl wrote: »
    Is that what people say?

Of course it is. The OP knows because he has indept knowledge of every tattooed person.
    Op, different strokes and all that.
    I have me own life to look after than worry about a bit of ink or something on someone else minding their own business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

Your boyfriend might leave you if you get a tattoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was never keen on them, but when the widow's peaks expanded so much they joined each other, I got 106 little black rabbits tattooed on my forehead.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    I was never keen on them, but when the widow's peaks expanded so much they joined each other, I got 106 little black rabbits tattooed on my forehead.

From a distance they looked like hares?

Boom boom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

brevity wrote: »
    Your boyfriend might leave you if you get a tattoo

Yep this is the theme of a thread elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I will admit I wouldn't be the biggest lover of Tattoo's even some of one's that people would call trashy but the one's I hate are the one's of Pokemon!

Don't be ridiculous - what sort of shoddy tattoo artist do you think I went to? :P

Oh you have a tattoo, a beard and you like Conor McGregor? You seem interesting, let's discuss postmodern decronstructivism...or, if you insist, gym routines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

Put simply? I have a load of tattoos. But, ye wouldn't know that unless ye saw me with my clothes off. And That's not liable to happen! :eek:

So, yeah. Don't worry about them. Morbidly obese people are harder on My eye than tattoos. And Those f**kers can't hide That.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Yep this is the theme of a thread elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I've a big fat obnoxious colourful tattoo on one side of my chest, from the collar-bone down to the top of my breast. It's not work-friendly. I work in accountancy. I just keep it covered in the workplace - no big deal. It's pretty and lovely and I don't think I'll ever regret it!

I've another smaller tattoo the other side of my chest, easier to hide, I don't like it as much but it's for my son and it's "his" tattoo (an owl) and he loves it, so it's grand!

I'd get loads more ink if I had the money, to be honest! I do get quite a few judgey comments about the ones I have (well, about the one that's mostly on display) and I don't really care ... you can't take those sort of things personally, that's only their perception of the world and of me. I can't and won't own their feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Aprapos a thread elsewhere I'd love to know the general consensus here re tattoos.
    Pros and cons boardsies please.
    I absolutely hate them and more, I hate the mentality behind them.
    Also, if your going to forget your loved ones names and DOBs unless you have them tattooed on your leg, should you be allowed out without a minder??

Tattoos are lovely..like a new pair of jeans or car or sunglasses. Unfortunately they go out of fashion/appeal. You have only so much skin on your body so the minute you cover it it is gone for ever. Tattoos have got so common now that to be not tattooed is a bigger sign of artistic freedom and evidence of being not influenced by pop culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I have a cool one over something or someone i am completely obsessed about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

The Raptor wrote: »

Wild guess....Garth Brooks.

Mel Brooks?

mel-brooks.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Wild guess....Garth Brooks.

I didn't think i was that predictable.

I didn't think i was that predictable.

As night follows day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Truly is the definition of go big or go home. People covered in well done tatoos look amazing. They probably could have bought a house with the money but fcuk that. Little twatty doodles from some eejit look ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I got a tattoo.
    It's ****.

Do I regret getting it?
    No.

Would I get another one?
    No.

It's on my upper back and the only time it sees direct sunlight is when I'm on holiday, most of my friends/family keep forgetting I have it they see it so rarely.

I do admire tattoos on other people though, but equally, I judge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

They all go out of fashion eventually. And most people regret them later in life, even though few admit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How does that quote go again?

The difference between tattooed and non tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a sh!t that you don't have tattoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Ah shur look if you want to be cool get one, doesn't matter what it is as long as its INK. All the cool people have them. If you want to be properly cool, get one twenty years ago. Apart from the 'I love mum' or Anto '20/10/83', a lot of the tattoos from then are admirable. These days it's tramp stamps and idiot supposed-to-be-Maori shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Almost got one a few years ago but the aftercare sounded a bit gross so I didn't bother.

I was out running today and saw a middle-aged woman in shorts a few feet ahead who had the most horrific and torturous looking varicose veins all over both of her calves.
    It was only as I got closer that I realized it actually was a tattoo- some kind of blue thunderbolt design on both legs..??

The problem with tattoos is the fact that what you think is tasteful or attractive at one point in your life will invariably look awful at some point down the line.

Boom boom

Seems I misjudged how well-known that joke was. I thought it was one that didn't need the punchline pointed out. Enjoy your thanks, you fecker :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Almost got one a few years ago but the aftercare sounded a bit gross so I didn't bother.

I was out running today and saw a middle-aged woman in shorts a few feet ahead who had the most horrific and torturous looking varicose veins all over both of her calves.
    It was only as I got closer that I realized it actually was a tattoo- some kind of blue thunderbolt design on both legs..??

The problem with tattoos is the fact that what you think is tasteful or attractive at one point in your life will invariably look awful at some point down the line.

...I just don't understand it. You "fancy a change" so you go to the Salon and get a radical hair cut and maybe an exotic colour. You feel great for 24 hours over the weekend but then on Monday morning your waiting for the bus in the rain and you know you look like a parakeet and you can't wait to change it.
    When you in getting the tattoo does it not occur to you that this is something you can't change on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Stigura wrote: »
    Put simply? I have a load of tattoos. But, ye wouldn't know that unless ye saw me with my clothes off. And That's not liable to happen! :eek:

So, yeah. Don't worry about them. Morbidly obese people are harder on My eye than tattoos. And Those f**kers can't hide That.

Ha. You'd hate me, fat AND tattoo'd. Im like your kryptonite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If someone has a tattoo that means something to them, then I don't see how that's any of my business. People getting stupid crap though just for the sake of it, well that's dumb. I've seen people that look like someone just doodled all over them. I'm not a fan of them myself, I'd get sick of it fairly quickly and probably attempt to scrub it off in the shower

I've a single tattoo where the sun doesn't shine, and don't care if some random person approves or not. That said, I wouldn't personally get tattoos where they'd be unavoidably on show all the time but what anyone else does with or on their own body is their business alone and it doesn't make them sheep or special or anything besides another ordinary person doing whatever they want.

Some people think far too much about things that have nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Remember OP, it's OK for other people to not be you.

Candie wrote: »
    I've a single tattoo where the sun doesn't shine, and don't care if some random person approves or not. That said, I wouldn't personally get tattoos where they'd be unavoidably on show all the time but what anyone else does with or on their own body is their business alone and it doesn't make them sheep or special or anything besides another ordinary person doing whatever they want.

I've 11 tattoos, from tiny to fairly big, you'd never know when im dressed. I love them. Will likely get more over the years. Few piercings too, but all hidden or easily hidden.

As for other people and their tattoos, I like looking at them but genuinely couldn't give a fiddlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i have 6 and 1 more booked in next week

they have enhanced my life

but horses for courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Tattooed or not, we're all going to look fairly awful at some point down the line.

The only thing stopping me from getting a tattoo is indecisiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Candie wrote: »
    it doesn't make them sheep or special or anything besides another ordinary person doing whatever they want.

But it does make them sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a tattoo thread and no pics, for shame

The same could be said about literally anything though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

There was a major erection when I was younger to get a tatto, not my click. Not sure if the hard on gang still have the hard on for them.

So many people wear trainers these days. Sheep.

Mobile phones? Sheep.

I can do it too!

RayM wrote: »
    Tattooed or not, we're all going to look fairly awful at some point down the line.

The only thing stopping me from getting a tattoo is indecisiveness.

Yea, people call me indecisive, but personally, I'm not so sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How does that quote go again?

The difference between tattooed and non tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a sh!t that you don't have tattoos.

Not so sure about that one, I've had a number of tattooed friends try show off their new tattoos to me and when i say ive no interest itd be wasted on me they question me "would you never get 1?" As if I'm after telling them I'd leave a starving child lying on the roadside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Roy Keane said the truth when asked why he had his kids name tattooed on him and not his wife's. "My kids will always be my kids"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

Skerries wrote: »
    a tattoo thread and no pics, for shame

I could set my camera to Self Portrait and pull my shirt up? But, believe me, forty years down the line? My stuff probably looks pretty disgusting :(

I know, for a Fact, my f**king Body does!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

They all go out of fashion eventually. And most people regret them later in life, even though few admit it

How can you possibly know that?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement