Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate to shrink in size again.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Don't let the f**kers lie and say it's for our own good. It is all for maximum profiteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's not Nestlé it's Mondelez (formerly kraft)

I'm calling baby brain on that one, Kraft it is.. (nestlé stuck in my head cos it's crap chocolate too :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I bought a Yorkie chocolate bar last night for €1.40 !!!
    Was it chunky? Was it ****.
    It had been Tobleronised and was a shadow of its former glory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Candie wrote: »
    Nestle took over Cadbury? I did not know that.

Galaxy is much nicer than Cadburys these days. Having said that, I'll eat anything.
    Nestle took over Rowentree Mackintosh. And replaced the chocolatey goodness with sugar.

Carburys on the other hand
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/us-owners-of-cadbury-s-creme-egg-admit-theyve-changed-the-chocolate-9971958.html
    Cadbury, which sells more than 200million Creme Eggs a year, said it has replaced the Dairy Milk shell with a “standard” cocoa mix in a new recipe for the egg, which was launched in 1971.
    And they changed from 6 packs to 5 packs for them.

During a previous recession Yorkie bars stayed big when everyone else was shrinking their. Cadbury's had wafer thing Dairy Milk bars by the end. But it was still real chocolate. And the Irish Cadburys was always nicer then the UK stuff thanks to using Irish Milk. A lot of production has moved to Poland and I don't think they use a glass and a half of Irish milk over there.

It's not just shrinking , they are also watering down the product and pocketing the fall in Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

A Yorkie used to be a monster of a yoke, 70 grams. Only for manly truckers.
    My 6 year old could munch one now - the size of them (55 grams)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Just leave the stuff on the shelf, lads, and buy something else. Most of the big named chocolate brands have gone to the dogs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The most noticeable chocolate shrinkage is Yorkie bars. They used to be so big they'd almost break your teeth. Now it's just an ordinary bar of chocolate. They never tasted particularly nice. They just had the novelty factor of being gigantic. Now that that's gone (as well as their 'sexist' ads) I don't know how they keep selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Honourable mention goes to the lads who make the Cadbury's Roses Christmas tins too. They're now about 1/8th of the size of those glorious bucket-size tins you used to buy back in the 90s, the wrapper are ENORMOUS with a pathetic microscopic chocolate inside and they have fcuked with the flavours big-style. Ruined Christmas for me it did. Evil backstards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The excuse was that world cocoa prices had risen (it was $1,000 a tonne in 2000 and over $3,000 by 2012). But it's plummeted to $2,000 over the last few years, so chocolate should be getting bigger/cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yorkie bars are for girls now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Get out ya bollox! :)

Double Deckers are better than Catch bars.

Please leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Surly this is good with the obesity crisis?

More likely to get people to buy multi packs. It's 1.50/2.00€ for s four pack compared to 80c/1.00€ for a single bar as they get smaller it makes more and more sence to get multipacks at those price ranges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yorkie
    The weight of the bar has varied over the years.
    In 2002, Yorkie bars were 70 grams.
    This had been reduced to 64.5 grams by 2010,
    and was reduced further to 61 grams in 2011
    and then 55 grams later that year.
    It was shrunk again in November 2014 to 46g.
    In January 2015, UK, Raisin & Biscuit Yorkies are now 44g.
    Limited edition Yorkie Peanut are 43g.

Soon we'll have the 30g Yorkie bar.

Yorkie sponsored the Stealth roller coaster at Thorpe Park :pac:

Advertisement