Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate to shrink in size again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Funny, Aldi are cheaper and don't see them doing much

The consumer is quite often an easy target

€1.40+ for a dairy milk etc. is just piss taking

I certainly won't be actively buying Cadbury, mars, nestle etc because the big brands at this point are just synonymous for poor value as it is

Now they might as well ditch the fun size packs because they're all fun size now. Ironic though because fun it ain't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair they manufacture it in the UK, they import a lot of ingredients and sterling has taken a hammering recently. There's been inflation and wages in real terms are going down at the moment.

So if they increase the price but keep the same size they'll find a drop in units sold. But if they drop the size they can probably manage to keep sales up. They probably have loads of research on price points, consumer perceptions etc...

All true, it just grates on me as it would not happen in America and they could probably do with a bit an obesity intervention instead of encouraging it with crazy portion sizes. I doubt they do it with their products sold in continental Europe either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think anyone will have a hard job finding much chocolate in most of the so called chocolate bars on sale in Ireland. A bit of cocoa solids, the rest fat and sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure how accurate this is. Mars bars are definitely quarter the size they used to be!

shrinking-choc-bars-136401099725403901-151016154953.jpg

Could it be that 20 years ago you were a kid and your hands were a quarter of the size they are now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

eeguy wrote: »
    I only have your best interests at heart.

Like **** you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Topic bars need to be 100% bigger

Topic bars need to be 100% bigger

I love those. I'd sell my granny for medical research for one of those now.

Candie wrote: »
    I love those. I'd sell my granny for medical research for one of those now.

Jesus! And you love your granny!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm partial to a nice mars bar....

• Advertisement

I do love my granny. Not as much as Topics, obviously, but she's a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

B0jangles wrote:
    After Hours: An online nursing home for tired old jokes.

Internet: A place where fatties can hang out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is like regular drinkers being penalised with minimum pricing due to some pissheads taking the michael.

When I put on weight, it's not because a Mars bar is 4 inches in length vs 3 inches in length. It's because I ate 4 mars bars and a load of cake and pile of toast while lying on a sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Cadbury is gone to sh!te since nestle took it over, they also have green and blacks too and are not going to continue with the organic range.
    The creme eggs are mucksgustin now and bet it won't be long before they start using Palm oil in everything. Fcukers!

I love the lidl plain chocolate bars (specially the white at the moment, pregnancy is great :) )
    I visited the factory in Bournville a few years ago. They gave you little pots of melted chocolate on the way round... Oh, it was gorgeous, but I paid a hefty price later, (other half did really :D)

I keep a stash of homemade for my 2 year old ( coconut oil, honey and cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.) Melt it all together, into a tray and into the fridge, it's gorgeous with a coffee..

Nestle took over Cadbury? I did not know that.

Galaxy is much nicer than Cadburys these days. Having said that, I'll eat anything.

Galaxy is much nicer than Cadburys these days. Having said that, I'll eat anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Candie wrote: »

It's not Nestlé it's Mondelez (formerly kraft)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Has anyone got a toffee crisp recently?

The mother picked up a variety pack of bars and opened up the toffee crisp and im certain that its smaller in every way. Look thinner, flatter and shorter.

That they are made by Nestle. This is what happens in a monopolized industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Has anyone got a toffee crisp recently?

Im a big fan of these and they are smaller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Catch bars are the best chocolate bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I can see how people might feel like this a company trying to rip people off but does it matter? Who is eating so much chocolate that it makes a difference?

I actually like that the portions are smaller. If I want to treat myself to a chocolate bar then at least I'm not left with a load of it to eat. It really is a treat these days - 1.40 for a toffee crisp in my local centra!! The higher price definitely puts me off grabbing one on impulse, so all round I think it's a good thing.

We're not talking about potatoes, milk or rice, we're talking about a luxury item that is never a need and always a want.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Catch bars are the best chocolate bars.

Get out ya bollox! :)

Double Deckers are better than Catch bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toffee_Crisp

"In March 2015, Nestlé shrank their Toffee Crisp bars down to 38g. The change in weight led to a reduction in the calorific content, from 229 calories to 200 calories. The company stated on Twitter the decision to reduce the size some of their confectionery, was on the recommendation of Governmental advice".

I dont buy the above excuse. That american company Mondelez took over cadburys and like a typical american corporation they decided to try cut costs to bare minimum and figured it had enough of a market share to start shrinking its products.

Nestle obviously realise if Cadburys can do it so can we.

The above has been made easier with the western world crying each day on social media about obesity, sugar, gym selfies.

It is not just chocolate. I have noticed it with some packets of crisps. I had a packet of waffles crisps and i think there was less than 10 crisps in the bag, 3/4 of bag just air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I believe it's a good thing, always felt like I ate a little too much sugar after a bar of chocolate, should be just about right now

Plus 1.40 - it's practically free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Are Topics still about? They are easily in the top five pound for pound nicest bars category but i haven't seen any for sale in a long while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is the pound any weaker? It's 1.15 against the Euro currently. I don't think it's been much higher in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't actually buy that. (ding ding)

I font believe the chocolate itself is that big a factor there. I bet you produce those 20 Maltesers or whatever it is for absolutely nothing. It's probably marketing costs and the fact that no profit is ever big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

That won't stop the fatties.

Dead right even now i eat 2 bars with a cup of tea if they look small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Everyone wants more pay so everything is bound to go up in price and/or get smaller.

This move is related to attempts to meet targets for sugar content. By reducing the size of the bars chocolate makers can push out products with less sugar without resorting to artificial sweeteners. The natural assumption would be that prices would fall as well but producers in Britain have been hit with higher costs since the Brexit vote and, of course, will take any opportunity to increase profits. Wage inflation is not a factor however.

Advertisement