Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's Sales Staff Advice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Somewhat contradicting yourself there - from your OP it looks like the sales guy did say they'd have to check with someone and you walked away.

I'm sorry, but this is a completely miss-representation.

They only said this when I pushed them 3 times during their incorrect information, and they had nowhere else to go....but luckily I did....and with the extraordinarily made up answers I got I wasn't prepared any longer to listen to anyone else.

I later rang the Supplier directly myself to clarify the situation and bought elsewhere.

I posted this here as I thought is was kind of funny in a kind of ridiculous way, but I have to say I am surprised that some people think that:-

1) Packers are the same as Sales Assistance (But anytime I have asked a question in supermarket they never told me lies)
    2)Its okay for sales staff to completely make up rubbish instead of saying they "don't know" or going to find out (Other member of staff/manager/Supplier).

Its €400 the shop lost out on because of this, and to be honest I was expecting and prepared to accept that the 10yr thing was not much good to me anyway, I simply wanted to know up front.

Can everyone be honest and say if they told you that, "they would post the washing machine parts out to you if it fails", would you have accepted this? What would you have done?

P.S. I am well aware also that this is only one story from one shop and it can happen in any shop the same and you can get a great sales person in Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

ForestFire wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is a completely miss-representation.

They only said this when I pushed them 3 times during their incorrect information, and they had nowhere else to go....but luckily I did....and with the extraordinarily made up answers I got I wasn't prepared any longer to listen to anyone else.

I later rang the Supplier directly myself to clarify the situation and bought elsewhere.

I posted this here as I thought is was kind of funny in a kind of ridicules way, but I have to say I am surprised that some people think that:-

1) Packers are the same as Sales Assistance (But anytime I have asked a question in supermarket they never told me lies)
    2)Its okay for sales staff to completely make up rubbish instead of saying they "don't know" or going to find out (Other member of staff/manager/Supplier).

Its €400 the shop lost out on because of this, and to be honest I was expecting and prepared to accept that the 10yr thing was not much good to me anyway, I simply wanted to know up front.

Can everyone be honest and say if they told you that, "they would post the washing machine parts out to you if it fails", would you have accepted this? What would you have done?

P.S. I am well aware also that this is only one story from one shop and it can happen in any shop the same and you can get a great sales person in Currys

It's not a mis-representation at all I don't think. You said repeatedly that if they'd admitted they didn't know, you'd give them a chance but you didn't. So they tried to blag it a bit before having to run off to a supervisor - can you honestly say you've never done that in a job at all?! Yes the answers were stupid but honestly if I did want the product, I would have let them go get the supervisor and if their answers were as stupid, yeah walk away but give it a chance.

If they had said that to me I would have asked them if they could clarify the position with a supervisor as that sounded a bit unrealistic to me & wouldn't it void the warranty. Mainly because I don't want to see someone dig themselves into a hole at my expense & leave them feeling like a right idiot. I would have given the supervisor a chance to explain it to me or at least look it up.

Look not saying that what they said was the smartest thing but they did own up to not knowing and offered to get someone but weren't given the chance. If this was going on for 30mins, that's one thing but it sounds like a short enough exchange so I'd have given it a few more minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

if they'd admitted they didn't know, you'd give them a chance but you didn't.

I'm not sure I said this directly, but what I meant is that, if they had done this in the first place without trying to bluff in the first instance.

And yes they did try to recover the situation after this and admit they did not know so fair play to her for that.

But If I had asked for the supervisor would that have not made it worse for her? Putting her on the spot in front of her boss and highlighting what she told me?

What I done was simply tell her, "Thanks and I had to go", so it was left there.

Anyway in general

It was only meant to be a funny story (Although some think not:(), not to be taken too seriously and to make people aware that not everything you are told is correct, but I guess most people already know this (And even some people accept the odd miss-information it as normal)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Currys Dixons and PC World are the same company.

In the past , and I hope they've stopped, I've had PC World sales people try to sell me insurance by suggesting that I commit fraud and lie about damage near the end of the term to recoup the cost.

The other thing that galled was being pushed to buy Microsoft Office when I could see they were using OpenOffice on their own computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nevermind Curry's, I was in the market for a new car recently and the level of misinformation I was been given was shocking from car dealers. I do expect some level of knowledge but I do feel somewhere like Curry's the consumer should go in armed with a bit of knowhow and there is no excuse when the internet is so readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have been in worse, but its funny when they try sell you insurance on a toaster. I mean in all fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭paulbok

magentis wrote: »
    Them kerry lads are always mixing up inches and centimeters.

Just like the Healy-Raes, give 'em an inch and they'll take a kilometer.

Advertisement