Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's Sales Staff Advice

Options
  • 24-03-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Posting in here, as its really just so laughable, I doubt anyone in consumer issues would take it seriously:D

Was in local Currys store to find a new washing machine replacement, when I was privy to 2 incredible pieces of sales "information"

The first was a conversation I overhear.

Elderly lady looking to get a new TV, Asks the sales guy about what looked like about a 32in TV for about 300ish Euro. So the sales guy starts into his advice....

Sales:-
    There are three types of TV, the latest 4k which has 4000 Pixels Per Inch Full HD with 1000 pixles per Inch and 10 years old and HD ready TVs....

Completely wrong but at least he kept the same mistake across 4K/FHD/HD Ready, so the comparison was somewhat okay :rolleyes:, but his first question should be, what is she planning to watch on the TV?

Anyway, I didn't have time to hear anymore as it was time for my own Sales "Info"...

Me:-
    These washing machines come with 2yr parts and labor and 10 year parts only warranty?
    Sale:-
    Yes
    What happens after 2 years if the washing machine breaks and there is no cover for Labor?
    I guess they send you the parts by Post
    :confused: But how do they know what parts I need?
    Not sure
    When I receive the parts who is going to install them in the machine??
    eh not really sure
    Do you not have to send out a engineer?
    I'll have to check with someone else
    Its okay I have to leave now

So on ringing the washing machine supplier directly, it turns out there is a fixed charge of 80euro per call-out plus labour time, so to expect it to be around 150 euro at least.

This was on a washing machine valued at about 350euro so I think i would prefer to save the 150 and just buy a new machine for 350 with full 2 yr warranty again, because I am sure there would be another failure as the machine gets older and more fees to keep it going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Hello is that Curry's?

'I'd like to place an order for two supplementary, auxiliary speakers, to go with my Midi Hi-Fi system, apropos achieving surround sound'

'Apropos...it's Latin'.

You got to have a basic grasp of Latin if you're working in........Curry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're in Curry's in the first place you pretty much deserve what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Rice or chips?

Best guess on everything else, 2 year warranty on a 350 quid washing machine and a Kerry lad mixing up inches and centimeters on a cheap telly sale?

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, sure who wouldn't expect some lad on 9 quid an hour and a 20 hour contract to know the minutae of every single warranty attached to every one of thousands of products they sell :rolleyes:

Do you expect the shelf packer in Tesco's to be able to tell you what kind of tree is used in making the toilet paper you're buying?

To be fair they have google, but then so do the people shopping there, probably proving they haven't used google.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ForestFire wrote: »
    So on ringing the washing machine supplier directly, it turns out there is a fixed charge of 80euro per call-out plus labour time, so to expect it to be around 150 euro at least.

This was on a washing machine valued at about 350euro so I think i would prefer to save the 150 and just buy a new machine for 350 with full 2 yr warranty again, because I am sure there would be another failure as the machine gets older and more fees to keep it going.
    That's a fairly standard service charge. The guarantee is fairly good for a washing machine, I don't think they really make big money on servicing so it's not really their intention to be giving out free parts and keeping the service guy in work. A ten year guarantee usually means you'll get ten years out of it.

If the machine breaks down outside of guarantee and you assume it will last 3 years before breaking down again you're still saving on the service charge over buying a new machine that will also break down every 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Rice or chips?

Best guess on everything else, 2 year warranty on a 350 quid washing machine and a Kerry lad mixing up inches and centimeters on a cheap telly sale?

Them kerry lads are always mixing up inches and centimeters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I know this is a pi$$ on the shop thread but seriously, a warranty is only a sales tool. If my washing machine stops working after just 2 years, I'm getting it repaired by the retailer at no additional cost to myself as per my consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If you're in Curry's in the first place you pretty much deserve what you get.

Worst shop on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

It should not matter what wages someone is on, they are sales staff and it's there job to give the correct information, or if they do not know find out or simply say "so I do not know".

Should someone on basic wages in food outlets ignore food safety just because they are on low wages?

They certainly should not be making up BS answers like they will post parts.

The reason I was asking this question is because I suspected that this 10yr warranty did not make that particular model more advantages over another I was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

ah reminds me of a time I was giving my delivery details for a tv in currys... as he entered my details standing next to me... I finished my address with co. Westmeath... he turns to me is that in north dublin or south dublin.. I laughed at him thinking he was taking the piss... but to my horror he was serious.

• Advertisement

ah reminds me of a time I was giving my delivery details for a tv in currys... as he entered my details standing next to me... I finished my address with co. Westmeath... he turns to me is that in north dublin or south dublin.. I laughed at him thinking he was taking the piss... but to my horror he was serious.

What part of Galway is that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It should not matter what wages someone is on, they are sales staff and it's there job to give the correct information, or if they do not know find out or simply say "so I do not know".

Should someone on basic wages in food outlets ignore food safety just because they are on low wages?

They certainly should not be making up BS answers like they will post parts.

The reason I was asking this question is because I suspected that this 10yr warranty did not make that particular model more advantages over another I was looking at.
    I wonder did he know the difference between there and their?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Johnson_76

Posting in here, as its really just so laughable, I doubt anyone in consumer issues would take it seriously:D

Was in local Currys store to find a new washing machine replacement, when I was privy to 2 incredible pieces of sales "information"

The first was a conversation I overhear.

Elderly lady looking to get a new TV, Asks the sales guy about what looked like about a 32in TV for about 300ish Euro. So the sales guy starts into his advice....

There are three types of TV, the latest 4k which has 4000 Pixels Per Inch Full HD with 1000 pixles per Inch and 10 years old and HD ready TVs....

Completely wrong but at least he kept the same mistake across 4K/FHD/HD Ready, so the comparison was somewhat okay :rolleyes:, but his first question should be, what is she planning to watch on the TV?

Anyway, I didn't have time to hear anymore as it was time for my own Sales "Info"...

These washing machines come with 2yr parts and labor and 10 year parts only warranty?
    Sale:-
    Yes
    What happens after 2 years if the washing machine breaks and there is no cover for Labor?
    I guess they send you the parts by Post
    :confused: But how do they know what parts I need?
    Not sure
    When I receive the parts who is going to install them in the machine??
    eh not really sure
    Do you not have to send out a engineer?
    I'll have to check with someone else
    Its okay I have to leave now

You are a barrell of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I had a great experience in currys, found the guy really helpful and he advised me to go for the laptop that was cheaper than the one I had intended to get. Answered all my questions and wasn't patronising in the way that most sales advisors tend to be when they realise I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to technology!

neonsofa wrote: »
    I had a great experience in currys, found the guy really helpful and he advised me to go for the laptop that was cheaper than the one I had intended to get. Answered all my questions and wasn't patronising in the way that most sales advisors tend to be when they realise I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to technology!

He won't last long.

He won't last long.

Maybe not but I appreciated him at the time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

60d6f470a077012f2fe600163e41dd5b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

When buying something from a general store with hundreds of disparate goods, would the onus not be on you, the purchaser, to inform yourself via the internet before you set foot in the store. If I come across a knowledgeable member of staff in say Woodies, I consider it a bonus, not an expectation.

(Btw, any Woodies staff I have dealt with, have been great)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Theyre just some lads on minimum wage, give them a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It's not reasonable to expect the staff to know everything about all products but it is also not reasonable for them to lie to you.

• Advertisement

I was always having issues with finding staff in the likes of PC Worlds & Currys that were even on the shop floor. Heard a great tip before - if' you're in that same position, go stand beside the most expensive thing in the shop or the most expensive thing in the department you're in, and act like you're crazy interested in it. You'll soon have someone sent over to you.

I was always having issues with finding staff in the likes of PC Worlds & Currys that were even on the shop floor. Heard a great tip before - if' you're in that same position, go stand beside the most expensive thing in the shop or the most expensive thing in the department you're in, and act like you're crazy interested in it. You'll soon have someone sent over to you.

This is exactly what I did when buying my laptop. It works. Looked around, nobody there, went to mac books to get their attention, shot over to help! :pac: in fairness he was a great help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

d2ww wrote: »
    When buying something from a general store with hundreds of disparate goods, would the onus not be on you, the purchaser, to inform yourself via the internet before you set foot in the store.

No it would not. You are the customer who may or may not buy the product, not the manufacturer / supplier / seller trying to make money on it.

neonsofa wrote: »
    This is exactly what I did when buying my laptop. It works. Looked around, nobody there, went to mac books to get their attention, shot over to help! :pac: in fairness he was a great help!

You've no idea how much the one that was helping me's face dropped when he saw me move from the laptop costing nearly €2,000 to the one that cost maybe €600. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, sure who wouldn't expect some lad on 9 quid an hour and a 20 hour contract to know the minutae of every single warranty attached to every one of thousands of products they sell :rolleyes:

Do you expect the shelf packer in Tesco's to be able to tell you what kind of tree is used in making the toilet paper you're buying?
    false equivalence; the staff in curry's are not there to merely place the products on the shelf, they are primarily there to help customers. you wouldn't expect to get an answer from someone in tesco about whether the korma sauce they're packing is better than the curry sauce, but you'd expect reasonable technical knowledge from a staff member in currys.

You've no idea how much the one that was helping me's face dropped when he saw me move from the laptop costing nearly €2,000 to the one that cost maybe €600. :pac:

A sales assistant spent ages answering my questions before and he was genuinely really helpful and it broke my heart to tell him that I had to wait until tomorrow (pay day) to actually make the purchase, he looked so disappointed, guessing he was on commission. I took his name and spoke to the manager about him when I did go back to let them know how helpful he was cause I couldn't find him on the shop floor to get him to serve me. Felt awful though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this warranty issue is something which should be relatively straightforward to educate floor staff about (not that it seems to be in the interest of the retailers); on the few occasions i've talked with sales staff about it, most seemed genuinely ignorant on the law regarding sale of goods, and regarded a manufacturer's warranty as being set in stone.

in the example above, i would not consider two years full warranty to match a reasonable expected lifespan of a washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

false equivalence; the staff in curry's are not there to merely place the products on the shelf, they are primarily there to help customers. you wouldn't expect to get an answer from someone in tesco about whether the korma sauce they're packing is better than the curry sauce, but you'd expect reasonable technical knowledge from a staff member in currys.

No you wouldn't, nobody in their right mind would expect staff in Curry's to know much more than how to tie their shoelaces in the morning.
    I've bought the odd thing in Curry's because it was a product at the price i wanted.... I point...I say give me one in a box...I give them money..I say bye bye .... Thats the Curry's experience

maybe i should change 'you would' to 'you should'. used in the aspirational sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Hello is that Curry's?

'I'd like to place an order for two supplementary, auxiliary speakers, to go with my Midi Hi-Fi system, apropos achieving surround sound'

'Apropos...it's Latin'.

You got to have a basic grasp of Latin if you're working in........Curry's.

Just buy the Bang & Olufson stereo Alan, you deserve it you've got a second series...

Back of the net.

Advertisement