Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Phoenix: return of the notions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Sounds like the barman didn't like this particular part of his job.
    He might have to work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Ok........What's an IPA, never had a pint of that before

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That's pretty standard tbh. Have to try a craft beer before buying a pint, 99% of them taste like ****e after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

thefishone wrote: »
    Ok........What's an IPA, never had a pint of that before

Indian Pale Ale, common beardy beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pint of the black nectar and none of yer aul craft bollox, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've read the whole thread and I still haven't a clue what you're giving out about. Two women got some beer samples. Seems the norm in a lot of pubs these days where they sell craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If this is the celtic phoenix, we wont exist as a race in 500 years :)

Also, its not an apple its a "fruit piece".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've read the whole thread and I still haven't a clue what you're giving out about. Two women got some beer samples. Seems the norm in a lot of pubs these days where they sell craft beers.

I'm not giving out about anything. I'm taking issue with people occupying an entire busy bar to superficially "sample" multiple beers when in the heel of the hunt they are going to arbitrarily select one and go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm not giving out about anything. I'm taking issue with people occupying an entire busy bar to superficially "sample" multiple beers when in the heel of the hunt they are going to arbitrarily select one and go with it.

And what has "Celtic Phoenix: return of the notions" got to do with that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Misleading thread title is misleading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I work in a brewpub, 22 taps. At least they knew what style they wanted. I often have lads wanting five or six tasters of different beers, giving me no context on what they like so I can guide them along and get the queue moving. Thankfully we always have enough staff for the oblivious people who think they're the only ones there and appreciate the subtle differences between cascade and mosaic hops, and the rest of us can serve people who actually want a drink.

In the last place I worked, we had five O'Hara's taps, all totally different styles. Once had a guy come in, 'Yeah I want to taste all the O'Hara's beers before I choose which one'. No man, you can buy a flight or fcuk off.

Still don't get the Celtic Tiger reference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd say its a case of the way they went about getting samples.

If they did it in a way where they seemed to think they were entitled to this, now we're possibly getting into notiony territory.

Think of the child in the old type sweetshop who asks how much every little sweet is before just getting some crap that's largely all the same anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

And a follow up to the people who complain about the price of craft beer. Aside from the fact that it is more expensive to produce and it is a small scale operation usually, someone has to pay for all the tasters, and it's not going to be the publican.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You know what we call craft beer in Germany? Beer.
    As for Heineken and Budweiser? I think they're classed as toxic waste. Never seen them in any pub. And you couldn't class it as beer anyway, but it might be used in a car wash:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1511565/Budweiser-in-World-Cup-deal.html
    We were once forced to drink it, never again.
    If you like Budweiser, you poor bastard, here, try this, though your brain could go into shock from taste overload:

http://www.budvar.cz/images/beer/packshot-classic-tablet.png

The difference is like a sheep and Scarlet Johansson.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I always get a laugh at the people who say ''Heineken tastes like p*ss, Budweiser tastes like p*ss.'' You must be drinking some amount of urine to know that. I'd take a cold Heineken not a problem if it's going and I'd wager most beer drinkers would too. You can enjoy more refined beers without needing to dump all over mainstream ones while you're at it, it's ok like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Omackeral wrote: »
    I always get a laugh at the people who say ''Heineken tastes like p*ss, Budweiser tastes like p*ss.'' You must be drinking some amount of urine to know that. I'd take a cold Heineken not a problem if it's going and I'd wager most beer drinkers would too. You can enjoy more refined beers without needing to dump all over mainstream ones while you're at it, it's ok like.

Well, Budweiser tastes like piss, Heineken tastes like chemical waste, but that could have something to do with it being brewed under license in Ireland.
    It's not about refined or craft beer, the beer I like is quite mainstream (mainstream here), Bit, Becks, Krombacher and after that there's a million small breweries here, they were never considered wanky or pretentious. B and H just are terrible beers. I'm really no Hipster when it comes to beer (and nothing wrong with that), I'm quite a meat and potato guy beerwise.

The difference is like a sheep and Scarlet Johansson.

Not much difference on a dark winter night when you're wearing a pair of leaky wellies, the breeze is kissing your arse cheeks and you're all wound up and ready to go.

That pair of eejits would be fed a few tasters from the slop tray if it was me having to listen to their drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Well, Budweiser tastes like piss, Heineken tastes like chemical waste, but that could have something to do with it being brewed under license in Ireland.
    It's not about refined or craft beer, the beer I like is quite mainstream (mainstream here), Bit, Becks, Krombacher and after that there's a million small breweries here, they were never considered wanky or pretentious. B and H just are terrible beers. I'm really no Hipster when it comes to beer (and nothing wrong with that), I'm quite a meat and potato guy beerwise.

budwieser technically isn't even a beer. it's got rice in it. Heineken in NZ is really nice and I drink it by default, its 100% different to EU stuff, which i cannot stomach at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    And a follow up to the people who complain about the price of craft beer. Aside from the fact that it is more expensive to produce and it is a small scale operation usually, someone has to pay for all the tasters, and it's not going to be the publican.

I've been told the opposite by the owner of a craft pub chain. He reckons if places are making their own beer they're cutting out the brewery cost and they've no excuse for their prices.

His chain charge less than a fiver a pint to back up his claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm trying out two artic spas at the moment. Thinking of having one in the bathroom upstairs and one on the decking in the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Omackeral wrote: »

Have you ever tried Heineken in Holland? Or other lagers on the continent? Then you will know that Heino and Bud here truly do taste like pi55. You can taste the chemicals off it... Muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I don't drink Heineken normally, but I went out on the pish Christmas 12 months ago on it. Looked lovely at the time - pints of ice cool Heineken Extra Cold from a frozen beer tap, beer glasses coming out of the freezer. But the next morning, my god. I thought I was going to die. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That's it. The hangovers you get off some of the lagers in Ireland, like Heineken, with the ****e that's pumped into them....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just witnessed two ladies rock up to an extremely busy bar in the city centre and ask if they could sample the two IPA's that were on draught. Barman didn't look delighted with the request but obliged.

After a lengthy discussion (which the barman was expected to listen to intently) both IPA's were found wanting and a sample of a third drink (didn't catch what) was requested. The request did little by way of cheering up the barman but sportingly he threw out a third sample.

The body language of the two ladies suggested the third sample was not being altogether well received but the barman cut across them before they had a chance to ask for a forth and asked them if they would like to sample the Beamish. The ladies took the hint and ordered two of the third drink, not looking altogether delighted with the outcome.

Imagine walking into a restaurant and asking for a fork full of three different dinners before you decided what to order.

Question basically is has anyone any similar stories.

I live in the UK and its common practice to get samples of ales before buying a pint. They vary in taste so much and some of them are horrifically bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Was in Vermont, where they have some amazing IPAs, pretty common for them to ply you with samples of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

budwieser technically isn't even a beer. it's got rice in it. Heineken in NZ is really nice and I drink it by default, its 100% different to EU stuff, which i cannot stomach at all.

That's all well and good, but going to New Zealand for a Vitamin H is false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm having a bottle or two at home, or just a pint or two in a pub, I'll go for something with more taste. But if I'm out for the night I'll end up switching to something like Heineken as the craft beers really make me feel full.

Or else I'll just drink Guinness all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I have always been a Heineken drinker - Never had much taste for any other beers.

It's very difficult to get Heineken in the UK on tap - You usually only have a choice of Fosters (p!ss), Becks Vier (p!ss), Carling (p!ss) or Stella Artois (P!ss)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Just to point out that any craft beer bar I've set foot in, and it's quite a few, are more than happy to offer you a taste of their beers.

It makes sense as they are an acquired taste to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

In a restaurant one evening, a middle aged couple, were drinking some white wine.
    The guy calls over the teenage waitress and tells her that "something is amiss with my wine".
    She asks what exactly is wrong.

"I like a Pinot and it usually dances on my palate but this one does not."

Poor waitress was like "................."

Dances. On. My. Palate.

Some people are just **** OP, you just have to laugh at them.

Advertisement