Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Valuation - Asking Price too high

Options
  • 21-03-2017 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

We just got a survey done for a house in castleknock area and the bank valuation surveyor feels that the asking price is too high and it should be around 15 K lower than the current sale agreed price .
    I have already gone back to the vendor asking for a list of repair work which needs to be carried out and they are yet to come back .
    However similar properties with similar size sold recently in the same area in 2017 seem to have been sold for more than the current price .
    The estimate of the work involved in around 8-10 , which will still leave the house overvalued be around 5- 10 K .

Would the banks still lend in this case ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

What kind of repair work if you don't mind me asking, going through the process too and wondering what you can/should expect to have fixed when buying second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

What kind of repair work if you don't mind me asking, going through the process too and wondering what you can/should expect to have fixed when buying second hand?

Re plumb pipeworks, new showers and bath and extra insulation .there's work to be done in the garage but I've asked the vendor to get ot done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

RaulDublin wrote: »
    Re plumb pipeworks, new showers and bath and extra insulation .there's work to be done in the garage but I've asked the vendor to get ot done.

I think you need to put the evidence of other comparable sales at a higher price to the valuer.

I couldn't see the vendor doing any repair work whatsoever in the current market but that is by-the-by.

The bank will lend sure, but will lend only on the basis of their valuation and will only lend a proportionate amount of that valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Sorry you've asked the vendor to get a list of the repair work that needs to be done?

I don't get it, is it not your surveyor who provides a list of issues which you can then discuss with the vendor?

Sorry you've asked the vendor to get a list of the repair work that needs to be done?

I don't get it, is it not your surveyor who provides a list of issues which you can then discuss with the vendor?
    Typing with a thumb made me lazy.. i shld have ..
    I have already gone back to the vendor asking ####if they are ready to facilitate ##### a list of repairs which needs to be carried out and they are yet to come back
    😊😊😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

We just got a survey done for a house in castleknock area and the bank valuation surveyor feels that the asking price is too high and it should be around 15 K lower than the current sale agreed price .
    I have already gone back to the vendor asking for a list of repair work which needs to be carried out and they are yet to come back .
    However similar properties with similar size sold recently in the same area in 2017 seem to have been sold for more than the current price .
    The estimate of the work involved in around 8-10 , which will still leave the house overvalued be around 5- 10 K .

Would the banks still lend in this case ?
    Banks are pushing mortgages very aggressively ATM, adverts everywhere (see top of page. Anyway, if the bank think the price is to high by 15k, I would really worry about buying the house. IMO, the surveyor is doing you a favour.

I know how banks are approaching mortgages ATM, they'll happily give a mortgage on a massively overvalued house, let's be honest, if they weren't, there wouldn't be any mortgages being given out. But they'll only do so if your deposit is large enough. Without coming across cheeky, you're probably only handing up a 10/20% deposit.

trobbin wrote: »
    Banks are pushing mortgages very aggressively ATM, adverts everywhere (see top of page. Anyway, if the bank think the price is to high by 15k, I would really worry about buying the house. IMO, the surveyor is doing you a favour.

I know how banks are approaching mortgages ATM, they'll happily give a mortgage on a massively overvalued house, let's be honest, if they weren't, there wouldn't be any mortgages being given out. But they'll only do so if your deposit is large enough. Without coming across cheeky, you're probably only handing up a 10/20% deposit.

Yes i get that part on the bank valuation .It so happens that the structural survey is carried out by the same firm that carried out the bank valuation. I asked them to do it rather than the bank.As they are an on the bank's approved list.
    Yes the valuation is objective enough and they indeed are helping me and I'll ultimately end up asking the vendor to agree to that valuation.l if it comes to that.
    Probably others in line will have the same issue..
    Its just that i see 2/3 houses on the same road /same size sold for much higher in last few months ..some just looked to be money pits
    Anyways I've asked this today and the valuation team will come back.
    I am hoping that the vendor reduces the price based on the issues highlighted so that i we can reassess the deal ...
    Thanks,raul

I'm handing out ~30% of a 450 k house .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The fact of the matter is though 15k in the context of a 450k property- is just 3.33% of the property value. Properties are increasing (or falling) by this percentage and more- on a daily basis.

Good luck getting the vendor to carry out your shopping list of repairs/upgrades - if they are willing to do so, happy days- however, in the context of a property shortage in the area, the fact that the 'over-valuation' is less than 3.5% and there are recent sales of 'money pits' in the area which were within the same ballpark- if I really liked the property and/or the area- I'd have a chat with the bank and see about accessing another 15k, rather than endanger the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are putting down a 30 percent deposit, I don't think you are going to have any big problem with the bank. You are risking your own money, not theirs for the excess over the valuation. But you need to talk to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Most valuers actually use daft as a guide for house prices and show similar example homes as a reference for their estimate. Have you considered contacting the valuer with your examples as you seem to be adamant the pricing is comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Christ I have never heard of this happening, I sincerely hope that we starting to see valuations based on some sensible yardstick, even if it is only similar properties in the area. I was literally told by a valuer during the boom "market value is whatever you're willing to pay". It might only be a small part of the problem but it's a problem nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I always assumed that the main purpose of the valuation was to deter fraud, e.g. I sell a garden shed to my brother for 1m secured with an 80% mortgage, he defaults on the mortgage and goes bankrupt, we split the 800k.

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

listermint wrote: »
    Most valuers actually use daft as a guide for house prices and show similar example homes as a reference for their estimate. Have you considered contacting the valuer with your examples as you seem to be adamant the pricing is comparable

can you show an example fo that <mod snip >

I got a valuation done recently and the valuer HAD to show three comparables that had sold in the area and they had to be referenced through Property Price Register.
    The valuer also had to comment on the general area, the condidtion of the house, the services available, any work the required doing and the estimated letting value.

He said the form was similar for all banks and quite different to a few years ago when it was just a number in a box.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

nosilver wrote: »
    can you show an example fo that or is it just some barstool comment.

I got a valuation done recently and the valuer HAD to show three comparables that had sold in the area and they had to be referenced through Property Price Register.
    The valuer also had to comment on the general area, the condidtion of the house, the services available, any work the required doing and the estimated letting value.

He said the form was similar for all banks and quite different to a few years ago when it was just a number in a box.

+1 on this.
    Went through remortgage and top up recently for renovations and UB required this from the surveyor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Christ I have never heard of this happening, I sincerely hope that we starting to see valuations based on some sensible yardstick, even if it is only similar properties in the area. I was literally told by a valuer during the boom "market value is whatever you're willing to pay". It might only be a small part of the problem but it's a problem nevertheless.

That is what market value is tho, it's whatever anyone is willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

Mooooo wrote: »

That's only true to a rational person with real money. Basically, you've a hoard of people out there that will take as much as they can get from a lender and just outbid anyone in their path. So valuations by the actual lender are really important. Having said that, they can always make the math work if they wanna give the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nosilver wrote: »
    can you show an example fo that <mod snip >

I had a valuation done in the last 4 weeks.

I never said it was solely based on daft you misconstrued that and ran with it.

The valuation was done by the bank their valuer put examples of houses for sale from daft as part of the survey.

I like they way it's assumed other posters make thinks up...

Good luck .

Mooooo wrote: »

When i spoke to them i felt that they were quite realistic in their estimate of the
    Property value . It was on the mkt for 450 k originally before we went sale agreed .there had been a few bids over 450 already ...
    I also think that the bank surveyor did not take the 3 houses i mentioned in my previous post into account...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You picked the valuer from a list supplied by the lender, I presume.
    You could pick another for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lumen wrote: »
    I always assumed that the main purpose of the valuation was to deter fraud, e.g. I sell a garden shed to my brother for 1m secured with an 80% mortgage, he defaults on the mortgage and goes bankrupt, we split the 800k.

If that garden shed was in dublin 4 and south facing they'd probably say it was a steal because the neighbours either side sold for 1.25 million :pac:

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    You picked the valuer from a list supplied by the lender, I presume.
    You could pick another for a second opinion.

I had no choice with UB.

They sent their valuer and he just rang me on the day to confirm access.

AIB use a list.

AIB use a list.

Yes from Aibs list of approved. They also did my structural survey ..
    I would stick with them and see over the next few days.

When i spoke to them i felt that they were quite realistic in their estimate of the
    Property value . It was on the mkt for 450 k originally before we went sale agreed .there had been a few bids over 450 already ...
    I also think that the bank surveyor did not take the 3 houses i mentioned in my previous post into account...

There were higher bids than 450k, but they agreed to sell to you at 450 (a lower price)? Or the others pulled out? That might indicate some problem on a 450K or greater valuation?

AIB use a list.

Did you have to pay for it?

Yes, €100 + VAT.

reick wrote: »
    There were higher bids than 450k, but they agreed to sell to you at 450 (a lower price)? Or the others pulled out? That might indicate some problem on a 450K or greater valuation?

Current sale agreed on 475k.asking price was 450k.valuation report says 460k.

Yes, €100 + VAT.

I didn't have to pay for it as they said they'd include it for free for me. I paid 450 for the structural +vat to them.
    The valuation cost which they didn't charge me for was 150k..

The Engineer's Report is done by a qualified person for you. A copy needs to be given to solrs on both sides.
    The Valuation Report is done specifically for the lender and normally you pay.
    Two diff functions and usually two diff professionals.
    The first done by someone of engineering/planning background, the second done by an auctioneer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Quandary

If that garden shed was in dublin 4 and south facing they'd probably say it was a steal because the neighbours either side sold for 1.25 million :pac:

If it was a shed in D4 then it would be called a rustic mews needing some tlc to bring it back to life :)

Advertisement