Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter-County Bitterness and Boundary Disputes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

Waterford/Killkenny one will go away soon - The Saudis are going to buy the bit in the middle:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-shopping-mall-saudi-group-2-3299964-Mar2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I totally understand the objections of the South Kilkenny folk. I'd hate to suddenly be from a different county to the one I grew up in!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Drogheda also has this issue now. There is a tiny bit of County Louth, south of the Boyne. It is surrounded by Meath. However, the area is quite built up with the border going through housing estates. Definitely inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bullpost wrote: »
    Waterford/Killkenny one will go away soon - The Saudis are going to buy the bit in the middle:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-shopping-mall-saudi-group-2-3299964-Mar2017/

Yeah the Waterford people want a part of Kilkenny and maybe their council are looking to bring in the Saudis to back their war against us in Kilkenny...
    Probably jealous Kilkenny is more popular, so they want to take over bit by bit... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

__Alex__ wrote: »
    I totally understand the objections of the South Kilkenny folk. I'd hate to suddenly be from a different county to the one I grew up in!

Can you imagine going to bed with 36 all Irelands and waking up with only 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Indeed, I've never understood why Irish people cling to these English administrative divisions.

I have never really understood why attaching the word English to things is supposed to make them undesirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We need to draw a line-in-the-sand with these ridiculous disputes and say "NO MORE" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

psinno wrote: »
    I have never really understood why attaching the word English to things is supposed to make them undesirable.

Simple. The Irish lost their land to the conquering Elizabethan English and then the counties were formed for administration purposes to keep it that way. The last county to be shired was Wicklow, made up of parts of Dublin, Wexford, and Carlow. The Gaelic remnant parts that weren't under such tight English control in the west ended up as outsize counties (Donegal, Mayo, Galway, Cork, Kerry) Political power only really reverted to the native Irish in 1922. But no effort was made to shake up the arbitrary divisions and reset them in a way that would facilitate effective governance for the future.

And so this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How could anyone live knowing their future is so bleak, summer after summer, spent in some sort of Sisyphean hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I'm from Mayo... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

topper75 wrote: »
    Simple. The Irish lost their land to the conquering Elizabethan English.............

And so this thread.

This thread (as started by the OP) isn't really about having a chip on your shoulder about Englishness. It is about people having emotional attachments to arbitrary administrative boundaries. The OP did thank your post so maybe they could edit the original post to clarify. If anything, peoples attachment to being independent is exactly what the OP is railing against.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

psinno wrote: »
    This thread (as started by the OP) isn't really about having a chip on your shoulder about Englishness. It is about people having emotional attachments to arbitrary administrative boundaries. The OP did thank your post so maybe they could edit the original post to clarify. If anything, peoples attachment to being independent is exactly what the OP is railing against.

No, I've absolutely no problem with people being independent (I think it's a very good thing) and taking pride in their areas/localities. What I do take issue with are different counties bickering over boundaries to the detriment of sensible, strategic development and planning. It's nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

A lot of GAA fans base their historical knowledge on that the GAA teaches them, County Cork is where all the old IRA rebels were from, nowhere outside Cork. All High kings of Ireland were from the royal county of Meath and the red hand belongs to county Tyrone regardless of how the Ui Neill were spread throughout Ulster and how they were originally based in the Derry/Inishowen area pre 10th century, not to mention how the red hand myth involved a king cutting off his hand and throwing it to the coast, County Tyrone doesn't have a coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

JupiterKid wrote: »
    LiI heard that antipathy between the city and county councils was a major factor in the "doughnut effect" of businesses relocating to the edge of the city and hollowing out the city centre.

It was also to do with business rates and which council would get them - with the county council facilitating the development of shopping centres just on the county side of the county/city border.

Moronic councillors like Gerry McLoughlin stoked the flames with stuff like this: "These country bumpkins have no regard for Limerick. They have destroyed the city with the planning, and are no friends of ours. We are not here to serve Newcastle West, or other places in the arsehole of county Limerick. I am a city man - I don't go down there, and have no time for them."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A lot of GAA fans base their historical knowledge on that the GAA teaches them, County Cork is where all the old IRA rebels were from, nowhere outside Cork. All High kings of Ireland were from the royal county of Meath and the red hand belongs to county Tyrone regardless of how the Ui Neill were spread throughout Ulster and how they were originally based in the Derry/Inishowen area pre 10th century, not to mention how the red hand myth involved a king cutting off his hand and throwing it to the coast, County Tyrone doesn't have a coast.

It does, on Lough Neagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I'm from Westbury and wrote Limerick as my address for the 15 years I lived there... I spat on the 'Welcome to Clare' sign every day I crossed the bridge.

As does everyone else I know from there. It's not practical for two housing estates on the edge of the city to write Westbury, Co. Clare as an address if they want post to get to them and not get redirected to Ennis or wherever. But they still come under the remit of Clare Co. Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, who p*ssed in your cornfakes this morning? I've been told that Corbally is both in Limerick city AND in Clare. So what is correct? It seems people who live on the Clare side of the Shannon call their area Corbally too.

When you go over the bridge over the Shannon in Corbally and into Co. Clare you are no longer in Corbally, or Limerick for that matter. People in Shannon Banks and Westbury don't use Corbally in their address.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When you go over the bridge over the Shannon in Corbally and into Co. Clare you are no longer in Corbally, or Limerick for that matter. People in Shannon Banks and Westbury don't use Corbally in their address.

Where's Corbally United's pitch?

Un1corn wrote: »
    Drogheda also has this issue now. There is a tiny bit of County Louth, south of the Boyne. It is surrounded by Meath. However, the area is quite built up with the border going through housing estates. Definitely inconvenient.

This report from last month recommends no change for the Louth/Meath boundary around Drogheda.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/drogheda_report_final_16022017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What would be wrong with each city/large town not being specifically attached to any one county but have it's own metropolitan area directly proportional to the population of the city/town?

Wasn't this what was intended when the original UDC's were set up, until that knuckle dragger, Hogan put his septic seal on that notion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Clare say no to Limerick City boundary extension. but the Clare people take all the Limerick City Jobs .as a Limerick Man I think Limerick City should Blow up all the bridges of Limerick City and keep Clare out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Clare say no to Limerick City boundary extension. but the Clare people take all the Limerick City Jobs .as a Limerick Man I think Limerick City should Blow up all the bridges of Limerick City and keep Clare out .

Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

A lot of issues are that towns and cities are often built on rivers that form county borders. Athlone, Carrick on Shannon, Carrick on Suir, Dublin, Limerick, and Waterford are some examples of cities or towns that span at least 2 sometimes more counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

osarusan wrote: »
    It was also to do with business rates and which council would get them - with the county council facilitating the development of shopping centres just on the county side of the county/city border.

Moronic councillors like Gerry McLoughlin stoked the flames with stuff like this: "These country bumpkins have no regard for Limerick. They have destroyed the city with the planning, and are no friends of ours. We are not here to serve Newcastle West, or other places in the arsehole of county Limerick. I am a city man - I don't go down there, and have no time for them."

This is it in a nutshell. I am surprised no-one else has developed the point. To rub it in, there is also the necessity for those outlying suburbs / commercial enterprises to then tap into the City services. In Waterford the argument for an extension of the boundary ended when Kilkenny County Council granted permission for a 30,000 Sq M shopping centre that is literally the width of a side road from the Waterford Boundary. This was completely contrary to the national Spatial Strategy and would have totally killed Waterford City centre(and New Ross) only it turned into a total white elephant.

I don't know how to post pictures but have a look at the boundary on google. There is a prime site behind Waterford Train Station where the old ArdRí Hotel was. The county boundary actually goes through the middle of the hotel (the middle of the Hotel, not just the site!) so planning applications have to be made, and agreed, with the two councils. Have we that many resources in this country that we can afford that kind of stupid duplication.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Plunkett+Station/@52.2580539,-7.1031572,1205a,35y,304h,44.58t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf14778ed35c373d1!8m2!3d52.2663626!4d-7.1179446

As things stand, half of Ferrybank is in Kilkenny but the address is always Ferrybank, Waterford. These people love to fly their black and amber and good luck to them with that but how would changing the administrative border for Ferrybank suddenly make these people Waterfordians? The county area remains the exact same and the GAA has already said it will not recognise City administration extensions. And finally, who was the last player from Ferrybank to play for Kilkenny? Ned Buggy in the 50's was from Slieverue but that's about as close as I can get. Get over it lads.

Edit. If you scroll to the right and down on the Google link you can see the empty shopping centre I mentioned just beside the Ferrybank Sports Grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

BRAY IS IN DUBLIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

__Alex__ wrote: »
    I'm from Mayo... :(

You poor thing.

Advertisement