Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your best behind you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

44, running to some degree about 4 1/2 years, but only gave up the GAA at the end of 2015. Still feel like I've plenty of improvement to come, once I sort out training etc. Based on what I'm reading here, I could be hoovering up a load of age cat prizes in my 50s :D sure I can dream, can't I ?

Mark O'Shea took up running in the master years after playing football and he just won world gold in the 800m o45, I think there's some truth in people who take up running late haven't flogged themselves as much as those running all there life, that's certainly what I tell myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Sonia O'S referred to this in her column in the IT yesterday. She said at her peak she could run around 30 mins for 10k and now its a struggle to do it in 40 mins. So now she has to take on other activities such as cycling to try to improve at as her days of running pb's are over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mid 30's for me and certainly its dawned on me more and more that I'm till seeing improvements, pretty certain if I ran a half marathon tomorrow I'd pull off 1:27 which would be a nice 2min improvement on my last half PB. It's far from elite but its still an improvement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Its an interesting one, I'm in my (very) late 30s, still feel like I'm improving ( and times over the last 12 months reflect this). I don't see an end it sight yet and I don't see any reason to see an end in sight either.
    Obviously in time, improvements will stop and I'll no longer get the same bang for my buck but I don't think that would stop me training hard either, for a lot of people training becomes a lifestyle choice as much as anything and I think I've slowly moved into that bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

The top two M65s in yesterday's 10k at the K Club both ran in the 41s (Barry Potts and John Todd). Some going from the pair of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I'm expecting to peak when I hit 45. So I still have ten years of hard training ahead of me :)

Advertisement