Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your best behind you?

Options
  • 21-03-2017 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking the other day that in my late 30's I probably only have a a couple of years where I can still improve my times and after that as the thread title says I'll be at a point where I'll never run those times again.
    Are you nearing your best or are you past it already?
    Does your motivation fade knowing that whatever PB's you've set won't be bettered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

gramar wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day that in my late 30's I probably only have a a couple of years where I can still improve my times and after that as the thread title says I'll be at a point where I'll never run those times again.

:pac:
    How long have you been running, a couple of years? How many miles have you run in that time?
    You have a lot of room for improvement yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Boy, in your late 30s you're still a mere whippersnapper with plenty of room for improvement!

Personally, at the age of 47 it is slowly dawning on me that I might indeed be starting to look over the brow of the hill, though I'm still clinging on to the hope that age is merely a number.

My last PB was in 2014 (not counting new distances) but I do still have the chance of breaking some of the softer ones, even with my ageing frame.

A friend of mine set his personal marathon best at the age of 54, so I've still got a few more years of hope left. :)

Motivation has not faded - even once I cannot reach my best times any more, there are still age group PBs to be set and age group prizes to be won and running is still as enjoyable as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No offence gramar, but I can't help but feel that threads like this are more about personal justification for not investing the time and effort into training any more. I'm guilty of making such comments myself. The bottom line is, that you get out of it, what you invest in it. If you're not up to it, don't do it any more, but don't try and justify it by making it an age-based decision.

Sure, as you get older you cannot thrash your body the same way you would have in your younger days, but that does not mean that you have to compromise on goals - it simply means that you have to train smarter and have a better understanding of your limitations (something I struggle with myself). Supposedly, with age comes wisdom - but I'm still waiting. Sure, a day will come when I can no longer face into the training regime, but that day will be decided based on my willingness to train and not the gradually increasing number printed on my birthday card every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

No offence gramar, but I can't help but feel that threads like this are more about personal justification for not investing the time and effort into training any more. I'm guilty of making such comments myself. The bottom line is, that you get out of it, what you invest in it. If you're not up to it, don't do it any more, but don't try and justify it by making it an age-based decision.

No offence taken Krusty - I appreciate the perspective. It was a general musing as to when, regardless of much or how smart you train your body can no longer do what it did before.

Part of it is the effort involved of course. Last year I managed a sub 20 5km which was my goal and I'd love to do it again. I know I can but it takes effort. Beyond that personally I have a couple of dodgy hips that sooner rather than later are going to force me to stop or at least reduce the effort significantly and that realistically could be in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

when that day comes,,start doing triathlons

• Advertisement

if you have trouble with your hips, you can do exercises to strengthen them so you will be able to continue to increase your training

Rockyman7 wrote: »
    when that day comes,,start doing triathlons

start saving now!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Part of it is the effort involved of course. Last year I managed a sub 20 5km which was my goal and I'd love to do it again. I know I can but it takes effort. Beyond that personally I have a couple of dodgy hips that sooner rather than later are going to force me to stop or at least reduce the effort significantly and that realistically could be in the next few years.
    Yeah, of course physical limitations and injuries are going to take their toll, but we have to be realistic about taking these things into account when setting our goals. If you have two dodgy hips, that's obviously going to impact what you can do, so set your goals accordingly. Breaking 20 mins for 5k sounds like a great place to start and realizing that you cannot pound the roads like you used to, means you'll have to find alternative ways of getting there (like running on softer surfaces (trail, grass), doing supportive exercise (yoga, pilates), cross-training (pool, gym) etc. You're far too young to give up on athletic dreams!

And when all else fails, there's triathlon.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Are you nearing your best or are you past it already?
    Does your motivation fade knowing that whatever PB's you've set won't be bettered?

To answer your question, no, I feel I have a long way to go to reach my best; I'm running about 5 years solidly, but no where near my best regarding speed and distance potential.

To answer the second bit, like TFB, when I know I'll never better my Personal Bests, I'll have fun chasing age grade stuff etc. so I don't think I'll ever lose the motivation to be the best I can be, whatever my age or circumstances. There's always something to chase!

Ososlo wrote: »
    To answer the second bit, like TFB, when I know I'll never better my Personal Bests, I'll have fun chasing age grade stuff etc. so I don't think I'll ever lose the motivation to be the best I can be, whatever my age or circumstances. There's always something to chase!

Not disagreeing with you, but as far as I can see, people tend to end up in one of three categories

1 - injured to the point where they quit completely

2 - still run for fun, and maybe even do the odd race, but not seriously

3 - keep racing as hard as they can, for as long as they can

You'll see plenty of the third group at Masters events, and there are shining examples like Jim McNamara and Ed Whitlock.

But there are also plenty who think, "I used to be able to run that in X minutes. Why would I go out and train my arse off for six months, all to drag myself around a race in a much slower time?"

I have no idea where I'll end up :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The baby weight lingering like a bad smell suggests that my best is behind me, but who knows - make that go and get some solid training in and there might be more to come in the future... I'm still only in my early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I read somewhere that distance runners improve rapidly with age from about 18 until their late twenties, around 27, and then they (very slowly) start to gradually decline as they get older, until at about age 65 I believe, they are at a similar level to when they were 18.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate my memory is there, but the idea is the same. I must try to find wherever I heard that first. Also, I presume that is assuming that the athlete is in peak condition and training to their capacity, which I don't think most of us are to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Kim Collins ran his 100m PB last year, aged 40, a full 20 years after his first Olympic appearance. We're not talking about some punter here. This is a guy who won the world championships back in 2003, and who has been running all his life. This is in a discipline far tougher on an older person' body than long distance running.

How is this relevant? Well I glanced at your opening post of your log and it seems you haven't been running very long at all. If a guy like Collins who has been running all his life, in a young man's discipline, can run a PB at 40, then it's safe to say that somebody who has taken up 5ks in their late 30s, and is clearly lightyears away from their maximum potential, is not going to suddenly slow down when the clock hits 40. How on earth can you be even thinking about being at your peak when you are a novice compared to so many others?

Sure you must listen to your body, but as Krusty said, that means training smarter?

Also what about the other controllable:

Do you do strength and conditioning work?
    Do you have a coach?
    Do you train with better runners who can push you on?
    What's your diet like?
    How much sleep do you get?
    Are you training in the most appropriate way possible?

People slow down in their 30s in most disciplines, though with longer distance thus happens a bit later. But this is only relevant for those who have been at it constantly since they were teens. If you take it up later in life then this does not apply. Look at Sinead Diver. Took up running by accident ages 33, and ran 2:31 the other day aged 40, and is likely to compete in her second successive World Championships.

Too many people use age as an excuse, hiding behind age grade calculators to convince themselves what they "would have run" had they started earlier. Don't fall into this trap. Instead forget how old you are, and consider yourself on an even footing with everyone you toe the line with. I'm pretty sure Krusty wouldn't be down at the very low 2:30s, if he obsessed over age, and age graded stuff. He. Just gets on with it. He's a latecomer to the sport so his "running age" is a lot less than his actual age.

There are challenges that come in the late 30s of course. There's work, family, children responsibilities, which a younger person doesn't have. This is more critical than ones age IMO, but again, can be overcome by training smart. Half the guys I race against in sprints are in college, and they have piss all responsiblities. 12 hours of non compulsory lectures a week, and some cramming close to exams. What a life. But the clock doesn't put an asterisks beside our times. These guys are simply considerably better than me, and it's up to me to do what I can do to try close the gap as much as I can.

If all else fails, then move up or down in distance to try new distances where you don't have a current PB. Look at track running and the chance at competing at masters level. The over 35 Leinsters medals are the softest you will get, if that's something that motivates you. Or look to cross country, where the clock is irrelevant, and it's hugely about the team.

It is alarming that somebody who has just started seems to thinks that a peak has almost been reached. You're not remotely close to your peak.

The baby weight lingering like a bad smell suggests that my best is behind me, but who knows - make that go and get some solid training in and there might be more to come in the future... I'm still only in my early 30s.

ok, now you're just taking the piss, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

In my own case, due to injury reasons I think my best years are gone, and at that they weren't exactly anything to write about. My body seemed to flick a switch and said enough and can no longer tolerate any training load. Acceptance is proving to be the most difficult part!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends on when you started running and how seriously you've been taking things so far. But as other have said being in your 30's is no reason to think your best is behind you.

Also depends on the events you are talking about. I don't expect to be able to knock anything off my 5km/ 10km times, but I do still have hope of a good year and getting a slight improvement to marathon time. Of course if I manage that then the 5km/ 10km times may tumble as a result also.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Will let you know after Hamburg marathon - I too was far from anything great but went back running about 6 years ago and now in my early 50's. I have trained hard and well but feel complete fecked for about 4 weeks now. hamstrings are acting up etc never did before. Father time for me also!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Chivito550 wrote: »

How is this relevant? Well I glanced at your opening post of your log and it seems you haven't been running very long at all. If a guy like Collins who has been running all his life, in a young man's discipline, can run a PB at 40, then it's safe to say that somebody who has taken up 5ks in their late 30s, and is clearly lightyears away from their maximum potential, is not going to suddenly slow down when the clock hits 40. How on earth can you be even thinking about being at your peak when you are a novice compared to so many others?

Sure you must listen to your body, but as Krusty said, that means training smarter?

Also what about the other controllable:

Do you do strength and conditioning work?
    Do you have a coach?
    Do you train with better runners who can push you on?
    What's your diet like?
    How much sleep do you get?
    Are you training in the most appropriate way possible?

Too many people use age as an excuse, hiding behind age grade calculators to convince themselves what they "would have run" had they started earlier. Don't fall into this trap. Instead forget how old you are, and consider yourself on an even footing with everyone you toe the line with. I'm pretty sure Krusty wouldn't be down at the very low 2:30s, if he obsessed over age, and age graded stuff. He. Just gets on with it. He's a latecomer to the sport so his "running age" is a lot less than his actual age.

If all else fails, then move up or down in distance to try new distances where you don't have a current PB. Look at track running and the chance at competing at masters level. The over 35 Leinsters medals are the softest you will get, if that's something that motivates you. Or look to cross country, where the clock is irrelevant, and it's hugely about the team.

It is alarming that somebody who has just started seems to thinks that a peak has almost been reached. You're not remotely close to your peak.

Don't be alarmed! I'm not about to throw the towel in just yet! I've been going regularly for about 3/4 years but set some targets and gave the training some structure about 18 months ago. It was just a random thought that crossed my mind. I should have a few years yet but there will come a time which will be sooner for me than most when hips will need replacing and that will be more or less that which is assuming of course that nothing else gives way first!

I'm not worried about my age. I don't think of it as a limiting factor just that at some point it will catch up and trying to maintain a certain level is either not possible or just isn't worth the effort required.

Do you do strength and conditioning work? Yes
    Do you have a coach? No
    Do you train with better runners who can push you on? No, only the dog.
    What's your diet like? Good / healthy weight
    How much sleep do you get? Enough
    Are you training in the most appropriate way possible? I'd say it's 75% suited to what I want to get out of it. Available time and commitment probably account for the other 25% I'm missing.

As for moving up or down distances I like the 5km distance and the odd 10. I'm not interested in longer distances due to the time involved and they would also mean a lot of time on my feet which will only accelerate problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Do you have a coach? No
    Do you train with better runners who can push you on? No, only the dog.

well there you go, there's a few minutes knocked off already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Im mid 30's, started a couple of years ago, hope to improve for a long long time hopefully I'm not disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Is the absolute pinnacle of what my body could've reached behind me? Yep, a childhood and early 20's short on training for that.

Am I anywhere near my physical plateau now? Nope, not even close.

No point looking at 2, 10, 20 or even 50 years into the past to see what you could've done. Tempting but not something to really dwell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

In my own case (mid-50s) I don't think I've peaked, although certainly it's getting harder to achieve PBs as the initial improvement surge fades (started 5-6 years ago).

The "running age" argument (doesn't matter how old you are, it's how long you've been running) doesn't account for the possibility that older runners may well have spent 20 years longer than others abusing their bodies with drink/drugs/junk food as well as sedentary, inactive lives. A 45-50 year old who's been through the wringer is not starting from the same place as a 35 year old who has looked after him/herself well. Not saying that's all me but I certainly tick one or two of those boxes, and you may too.

But put that behind you, train well, and you'll get your reward, which for most of us is mid-pack respectability, maybe the odd age cat prize, a masters medal or two, or a major marathon qualifier (if distance road running is your bag). If you have actual talent, you may achieve more. It's simple enough. :)

When the decline happens, as it inevitably will, take solace from wherever you can. Maybe that solace will come from the fact that you're still out there experiencing the elements and your own sense of competition when your peers are on the couch, vicariously contemplating sportsmen and women half their age, or worse, Fair City or The Cube. Maybe it will come from an age grade performance that allows you to compare yourself with your former self, or yourself over a different distance today or ten years ago, or a friend or enemy in a different space and time. Maybe the solace will come from just being part of a sport/pastime/hobby that inclusively allows you to mix with like-minded souls. And hey, if you want to post pictures of your garmin while you're at it, knock yourself out.

Who cares, if it gets your blood up and gets you out there, it's good, and no one can take that away from you.

Good luck.

42, dropped below 19mins for 5km a few months back, and an unexpected sub 40 10km just last weekend. But then again my body had 35 years of relative inactivity...

In trail running there are always new goals, maybe because PBs are not so relevant, not gonna lower 5 or 10k times on the sides of mountains. But there are firsts, first to run a recorded time of the Beara Way, first to run the Dunkerrons, first to try new approaches on the Reeks etc. Maybe it's the hiking mentality, it's not always about "fastest", it's simply about enjoying it.

this reminds me of something I read recently, here's another version of it. To keep getting better at running you more or less have to keep increasing the time you devote to it - time actually running, time doing supplementary work to keep you running, time set aside for recovery, etc.

People say they don't have time for this, but almost everyone really does have the time for 10-15 hours of exercise a week, and another few hours set aside for getting to bed early. What we actually mean is, running is not a high enough priority in our lives for us to devote that much time to it. Which is perfectly understandable, why should it be? I know there are plenty of things I would kind of like to do, but when it comes down to it, they aren't a priority and I'll probably never do them.

But it's worth substituting "it isn't a priority" for "I don't have time" sometimes, to make you think about what your priorities are, and are they reflected in what you spend your time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'm hitting 50 and towards the back end of last year I was fitter and stronger than I've ever been. I'll be pissed off if I'm not fitter, faster and stronger again this year!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I started running at 35, and I'm definitely faster now, 7 years later. (My first 5k was 27.30, my fastest so far is 19.36) I hope I can continue to improve. Staying injury-free seems to be the thing that helps me improve most, but as I get (even!) older I will definitely look at refining my training / training smarter etc.

Interestingly, my current age category (F40) is more competitive than F35. So I'd say a lot of women either start running in their 30s and are still getting faster into their 40s (that and the fact that a lot of women are taking maternity breaks in their 30s and then bursting back onto the running scene to claim all the prizes in their 40s! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I started at around 30, fluted around for about 2-3 yrs, I thought I was training, drifted away for a few years but came back and started to train properly. I'm now faster and stronger as I ever have been, i'll see how many years I can get away with for now!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

HelenAnne wrote: »
    (that and the fact that a lot of women are taking maternity breaks in their 30s and then bursting back onto the running scene to claim all the prizes in their 40s! :))

A girl can dream :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've been told that I've a fine arse, so yes, my best is behind me :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

44, running to some degree about 4 1/2 years, but only gave up the GAA at the end of 2015. Still feel like I've plenty of improvement to come, once I sort out training etc. Based on what I'm reading here, I could be hoovering up a load of age cat prizes in my 50s :D sure I can dream, can't I ?

Advertisement