Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State examinations jobs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Yes
    Congratulations
    Make sure to cancel the whole month of July and find a spare room to lock yourself into.

Enjoy:pac:

Thank you. Sounds great!

Doesn't look good for the system when an unqualified teacher is correcting JC exam papers. I'll take the necessary steps to assure I'm competent to correct these papers (I assume there will be a meeting about the marking scheme?!) but for all the SEC know I could be anyone.

Are there any more details I should know? How many scripts will I get? Deadlines? Pay? Etc. Any responses are appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are there any more details I should know? How many scripts will I get? Deadlines? Pay? Etc. Any responses are appreciated.

As a first-timer, I reckon you'd get around the 350 papers mark.
    Your meeting will probably be on a Friday, going on memory from when I used to do Edit :<the same subject and level as you>. They will want the sample 20 done by Sunday or so (and rung in to your supervisor) and in the post Monday. The first 100 could be due Wed or Thurs of that first week, with the second 100 maybe the following Monday or Tuesday. You will be given your dates at the meeting and while there are sometimes changes, they generally stick to the timetable. Whatever you do, if you think you are not going to make a deadline, ring your supervisor. Let them know what is going on.

I advise you to do all your unpacking, numbering and checking the evening you get back from Athlone, so that 8am the first day you can start the correcting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thank you. Sounds great!

Doesn't look good for the system when an unqualified teacher is correcting JC exam papers. I'll take the necessary steps to assure I'm competent to correct these papers (I assume there will be a meeting about the marking scheme?!) but for all the SEC know I could be anyone.

They changed the requirements so you don't have to be teaching council registered... I think. Check the recruitment blurb on examinations.ie again.

Yes there will be a correctors conference when the exam is over... around end of June.
    You'll need some way of collecting the postbags of scripts and bring them to your home... and keep them safe.

During the conference you'll get a handbook. Read this like crazy a million times.
    It's handy to have a notebook to keep track of questions or scripts that concern you.
    Be patient with your supervisor ... They will assume you know everything and at the end of the phone 24/7.
    Find a friendly -experienced looking- face in your group at the marking conference and get their email or phone number. This is handy if your supervisor is unavailable or it's a very minor question.

Pay... can't remember but per paper I'd imagine it'd be about €7 ... with possibly 350 papers..then expenses on top. You'll get an advance of about 400... but after that it won't be for another 2 months odd until you get the balance. Ring revenue about tax etc so your not put on emergency tax.. the SEC employer number should be in the handbook!

If you're like me first time you'll make a tonne of silly mistakes but the advising examiner should have an idea when you submit your first sample corrections. Have a calculator handy and double check everything.

It might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the paper the day after the students sit the exam and it goes up on examinations.ie . A lot of the other examiners will have looked at it and spotted potential 'errors' ... it's nice to look up to speed during the conferences. Read the subject syllabus too if you want to be extra nerdy. Have a look at old marking schemes to to get the jist.

You're not supposed to identify yourself as a corrector on social media so i might just delete your subject above as there mightnt be many PME people employed.

Thanks for the great replies. Good information there.

Just a couple of final things, how long does the process usually Take? 3/4 weeks?? Also, I have applied for the position of scribe in the school I am on placement in, I assume it's still possible for me to fulfil this position if I'm offered it?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

The marking process usually takes 26 days in total.
    Posts 33/34 offer excellent advice.
    Apart from the money, the experience will be very good for your teaching.
    Also it will look well on your cv.
    At interview be sure to refer to having been an examiner and specify one or two significant things you have learned from the experience.
    Every teacher should correct JC/LC at least once. The knowledge cannot be gained from reading the marking scheme and your students will be much better for your experience.
    Cant' say 'enjoy' but good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I don't think the scribe work during exams and the conference day would ever overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks for the great replies. Good information there.

Just a couple of final things, how long does the process usually Take? 3/4 weeks?? Also, I have applied for the position of scribe in the school I am on placement in, I assume it's still possible for me to fulfil this position if I'm offered it?

Thanks again.

Yes you will be able to do both.

Exiled1 wrote:
    The marking process usually takes 26 days in total. Posts 33/34 offer excellent advice. Apart from the money, the experience will be very good for your teaching. Also it will look well on your cv. At interview be sure to refer to having been an examiner and specify one or two significant things you have learned from the experience. Every teacher should correct JC/LC at least once. The knowledge cannot be gained from reading the marking scheme and your students will be much better for your experience. Cant' say 'enjoy' but good luck.

Thank you, appreciated.

Advertisement