Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State examinations jobs

Options
  • 20-03-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi

I'm currently a student teacher in the first year of my 2 year PME. Just wondering about the state exams in June, am I eligible to be considered for any jobs? Supervising, correcting etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Certainly for superintendent and maybe correcting if some stories are to be believed- however you've missed the deadlines for both as far as I know. Although it may be worthwhile ringing to see if it's not too late to apply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Applications had to be in around Hallowe'en and some appointments have already been made.
    No harm throw in a late application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

It's not too late to apply. SEC sent email to all schools today looking for more people to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

spurious wrote: »
    Applications had to be in around Hallowe'en and some appointments have already been made.
    No harm throw in a late application.

'Applications still invited' on website - I think anyone with a pulse and a Teaching Council number will be considered for some jobs. I forgot that a TC number is required so the OP 'may' not be able to apply but could ring to enquire anyway. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You could get examining without being registered with the teaching council. Ignore the deadline dates and throw in applications for both.
    It's only superintending that needs registration because of the contact with students and Garda vetting. You could also check in with schools to see if they need readers or scribes for the exams. Pay is similar to superintending .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I don't have a TC number yet, I should probably apply for one now with that FE-01 form, anyone know how long that takes to go through?

Anyone with experience in any of the jobs want to advise me what is involved? And what the pay is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Received this email last week:

Urgent

Certificate Examinations 2017; Superintendent posts

Dear Principal,

The State Examinations Commission (SEC) is currently processing applications for Superintendents for the 2017 State Examination. The SEC is anxious to ensure that there is a sufficient quantity of suitable applicants to meet the demands for superintendent positions in the 2017 examinations. 

In this regard we are contacting Schools across the State and asking them to inform potential applicants that they may still apply for consideration for superintending in the 2017 Examinations. Although at this time applications received will only be considered for our reserve list it is possible that an appointment could very well result.

Applications and further details are available in the recruitment section of the SEC website www.examinations.ie 

You are requested to actively encourage suitably qualified people i.e. serving, substitute, unemployed and/or retired teachers who would have had contact with your school.

Thank you for your support and co-operation in his matter.   

Yours Sincerely

Superintendent Section

So definitely worth your while in applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

I applied for correcting. Have heard nothing yet. Does anyone know if they've contacted potential correctors or when should I expect to hear from SEC?

I applied for correcting. Have heard nothing yet. Does anyone know if they've contacted potential correctors or when should I expect to hear from SEC?

Sorry reading your post again as crazyteacher has said - you should have found out by now. I read it incorrectly and mixed it up with superintendenting.

• Advertisement

Correctors or examiners should have heard by now depending on their subjects. Otherwise you would have got a letter saying you were on the drop out list. Give the SEC examiners section a phone call and they'll tell you 090-6442734

I got offered an examiner job today so it seems they are still being given out!

Yeah and they'll continue making offers up until the exams/corrections start.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Lots of correcting work still available. Unfortunately if you have full hours the amount your taxed means it's barely worth it. On the other hand it is fantastic for your teaching. As a student teacher it will definitely be worth it financially but be under no allusion, it is difficult work.

Got offered JC Business Studies HL Paper 2. Anyone have any experience with this know what sort of time it will take? Think you get around 400 scripts.

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Got offered JC Business Studies HL Paper 2. Anyone have any experience with this know what sort of time it will take? Think you get around 400 scripts.

It should be in your letter of confirmation.

It's normally 28 days for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

26 days, not including the conference afair.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant would your full day be taken up with the work?

It honestly will. Be prepared for a full day 9-6. Longer with paper work and phone calls from your advising examiner added in. The best way is to always work ahead of the deadlines, rise early to get finished earlier in day . The more you work ahead the more you can take an evening at the cinema /job interviews etc.

• Advertisement

Oh right. Wasn't expecting that, especially for JC! I've already got a job for the summer but was thinking of trying to do this along with it in evenings and weekends, would that be a no go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

Oh right. Wasn't expecting that, especially for JC! I've already got a job for the summer but was thinking of trying to do this along with it in evenings and weekends, would that be a no go?

I think you would find it difficult to do it evenings and weekends. It's a full time job. That means 8 hours a day, minimum.

Why would it make a difference whether it's junior or leaving cert?

Maybe the op is thinking that Junior cert papers are not long as in terms of correction than a leaving cert paper.

Mufc, they do advertise it as a full time job . It would be quite challenging especially as it's your first year. It's up to you but be warned.

Yeah that's what I mean, it would be short in comparison to the LC Business corrections.

Thanks folks, I'll have to have a rethink so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

Yeah that's what I mean, it would be short in comparison to the LC Business corrections.

Thanks folks, I'll have to have a rethink so!

The exam itself is shorter, but as a corrector you will get more of them to correct than a leaving cert corrector, so it all balances out. It's a full time job either way.

Hope we didn't put you off. If you do change your mind,move quickly with letting the SEC know. Sent you a message.

Honestly after a day correcting with added phone calls and trips (and maybe several) trips to the post office - you won't have the energy for anything else.

You have to be available to your advising examiner at all times (nearly) during the marking period. It is also stated in your appointment letter that you have to commit to correcting during the correcting period otherwise marking won't be up to scratch - remarking - delays - nightmare.

If you are unsure, weigh up which will be more beneficial and go with it but you won't be able to do both. If not correcting, get onto SEC straightaway and let them know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The first couple of weeks, where the deadlines are very short and you're still getting the marking scheme into your head are very tight. I couldn't imagine trying to do it along with another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Sorry to be bumping an old thread but just a quick question.

I'm a 4th year student teacher who has been offered to examine <a subject> for the coming state examinations. Fairly stupid question but does this mean I am correcting this paper?? It says "Grade: Examiner" on the letter I have received.

I am not registered with the Teaching Council yet but I applied for the position of written examiner and this is what I have received back.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sorry to be bumping an old thread but just a quick question.

I'm a 4th year student teacher who has been offered to examine higher level junior cert history paper 1 for the coming state examinations. Fairly stupid question but does this mean I am correcting this paper?? It says "Grade: Examiner" on the letter I have received.

I am not registered with the Teaching Council yet but I applied for the position of written examiner and this is what I have received back.

Thanks.

Yes
    Congratulations
    Make sure to cancel the whole month of July and find a spare room to lock yourself into.

Enjoy:pac:

Advertisement