Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban cars from rush hour?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

http://www.newstalk.com/Dublin-congestion-makes-it-slowestmoving-major-city

From article
    One major impediment to future growth, according to the report, is Dublin's problem with traffic congestion.
    It was, in fact, ranked as the "slowest-moving" major city in the world. According to INRIX 2016 Traffic Scorecard data, Dublin traffic moves at just 7.5km per hour during times of congestion, with rush-hour speeds of a mere 5.5km per hour – "slower than a horse and cart".

Cars are a pain for both pedestrians and cyclists trying to negotiate Dublin city centre and other urban areas at rush hour. Sorry various car brand owners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm buying a tractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If they banned cars then we wouldn't be able to reply to daft threads about right hour traffic as they wouldn't exist;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Might be better to just ban rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Might be better to just ban rush hour.

Just ban work, that's the cause of rush hour, tackle the problem at the root.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

http://www.newstalk.com/Dublin-congestion-makes-it-slowestmoving-major-city

From article

Cars are a pain for both pedestrians and cyclists trying to negotiate Dublin city centre and other urban areas at rush hour. Sorry various car brand owners.

Great idea. I'll just use our world class public transport system instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Put a charge on cars at peak times with 1 occupant

Force workers to car pool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Build Metro North (the original, not Metro Lite), Dart Underground.

Scuttle all Bus Rapid bullshit projects immediately. Do it properly and stop handicapping Dublin with shoddy infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't live in Dublin so I'm just here to say "why don't you just leave the house a little earlier?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

biko wrote: »
    I don't live in Dublin so I'm just here to say "why don't you just leave the house a little earlier?"

I like to arrive late and leave early.

Better yet.. Let's ban working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Implement a proper park and ride system. Make it easier for people to get around inside the canals. More integration of existing systems. Treat city centre work parking spots as BIK. And maybe a congestion charge to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd agree with a congestion charge, it's ludicrous seeing the streets clogged with cars with one person in each one. Invest the money raised into better public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Why do they call it rush hour when no one is rushing anywhere according to OP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

biko wrote: »

show off :D. Next thing you'll be saying is that everyone should work at night and prevent rush hour happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'd agree with a congestion charge, it's ludicrous seeing the streets clogged with cars with one person in each one. Invest the money raised into better public transport.

If not forced car pooling, a lot of workers and organisations could easily be moved to different
    shift patterns with the right incentives or penalties

Creative thinking could go a long way here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Move the work to other towns and reduce the rush in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Build large park & ride facilities along all major routes into Dublin. And then introduce congestion charges.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm buying a tractor.
    They're great for drafting behind on a bike. Turns a 30+ kph commute into one at 40+ kph. So I'm happy to let the other vehicles queue up on the M1/M50 and leave the other roads to farmers and cyclists....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RayM wrote: »
    Build large park & ride facilities along all major routes into Dublin. And then introduce congestion charges.
    dogging is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Archeron

Give everybody a jet pack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

school and work times should be staggered to ease congestion.

When I lived in Croatia , in Zagreb kids could attend classes in school at 6 and 7 pm if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

school and work times should be staggered to ease congestion.

When I lived in Croatia , in Zagreb kids could attend classes in school at 6 and 7 pm if they wanted to.

I'm sure ASTI would have no problem with that suggestion:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think some way of forcing people to carpool would be good. Galway has the same problem and if you look at the jams 80% of the cars only have one person in them. It's madness really when you think about it and I'm guilty of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think some way of forcing people to carpool would be good. Galway has the same problem and if you look at the jams 80% of the cars only have one person in them. It's madness really when you think about it and I'm guilty of it too.

When I drove up when I moved here I was in Galway city around 5 am on a weekday and it was manic even then.

As for one in the car? Add four cats and a dog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

RayM wrote: »

You might need a better public transport network to cope with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Whats more ridiculous than that suggestion is calling dublin a major city:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I'd imagine that a lot of people in Dublin are both car and bike users. Mild levels of annoyance based on which mode of transport you are using. Comes with living in a city.

The types that get extremely angry about this type of stuff always strike me as car owners who drive sh1tty saloons with a dashcam installed. Often seen waxing their 'motor' in the driveway of a bland semi-d on a Saturday afternoon. Or bicycle owners who realise they will never be good enough for, or good enough at, golf, and so pour all their money into expensive bikes and Lycra that make very little difference to how unfit they are. Physically, mentally and spiritually.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

30 minutes for me to drive to work, or 2 hours 15 minutes using public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Until a better, faster, cheaper alternative is provided then people will use their car, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Ban schools. Then people wouldn't be all trying to get to work at the same time after dropping their kids off.

No rush hour during the school holidays.

Advertisement