Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Prepaid Sim-Spain-€15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Fairly good deal although with new roaming rules about data allowances it might no longer be necessary in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Fairly good deal although with new roaming rules about data allowances it might no longer be necessary in the EU
    The new roaming laws don't come into effect Until June, so in the meantime its still 6c per mb

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see on the webpage it has "*The rate is renewed automatically every 4 weeks.", does this mean you are signing up to recurring billing?

Also does it support tethering?

I see on the webpage it has "*The rate is renewed automatically every 4 weeks.", does this mean you are signing up to recurring billing?

Also does it support tethering?
    No there's no recurring billing. That might be a requirement to keep the sim active long term. I literally just showed my passport and gave them €15 in cash. It's the sim that they're promoting for tourists.

I hadn't any need for tethering out there, so I don't know if that will work.

M

No there's no recurring billing. That might be a requirement to keep the sim active long term. I literally just showed my passport and gave them €15 in cash. It's the sim that they're promoting for tourists.

I hadn't any need for tethering out there, so I don't know if that will work.

It's a great deal, especially with 4G, some hotels there can have terrible fee paying wifi that would cost more than that for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

leex wrote: »
    Looks like it. It certainly pays for itself because I know I'm inclined to dip in and out of my roaming data when abroad and it ends up costing me a fortune. Plus having Google maps and tripadvisor available is a huge plus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

This would be really handy if you could buy it online and have it delivered before you travel. We're not landing til after 5 and will be driving 4 hours so was hoping to get something like this so we could use Google maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

There is a Vodafone store in Faro airport Portugal so will definitely get one of these.

bromley52 wrote:
    There is a Vodafone store in Faro airport Portugal so will definitely get one of these.

None in Madrid airport from what I can see. There is one in the town we are going to so I might get one there the next day and only turn on my data if I really need to before that!

• Advertisement

nikkibikki wrote: »
    This would be really handy if you could buy it online and have it delivered before you travel. We're not landing til after 5 and will be driving 4 hours so was hoping to get something like this so we could use Google maps!

In Spain it's a legal requirement to view your ID prior to issuing a sim card, so the online option isn't likely to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

In Spain it's a legal requirement to view your ID prior to issuing a sim card, so the online option isn't likely to become available.

If you really need a sim card, ready for action before you leave, then you can get one here.

http://www.simcardspain.es/en/16-vodafone-network

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sosq

The new roaming laws don't come into effect Until June, so in the meantime its still 6c per mb

It still will be handy to have local sim card. Your included bundles like unlimited data,calls and text will not be valid when roaming even if roaming will be free. Only prepay customers will win on this as they pay as you go. There still will be some fee on data abroad.

sosq wrote: »
    It still will be handy to have local sim card. Your included bundles like unlimited data,calls and text will not be valid when roaming even if roaming will be free. Only prepay customers will win on this as they pay as you go. There still will be some fee on data abroad.
    From June there can't be any additional fees for roaming. Obviously 3 are trying to get around this by increasing their prices but using your phone abroad, will be as if you're using it at home.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/roaming-tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

nikkibikki wrote:

Download the Google maps for the area you need as offline before you go.

I got this SIM last year for the youngster. If might have been 4gb, but it doesn't last long when it comes to YouTube. The Wi-Fi in it hotel was not working. So we had to buy a second SIM as topping up didn't give as much data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Or download and use HERE WeGo nav and download the required map onto your phone to use offline.
    Useful to have as a backup to Google maps especially if you are in an out of service area.

If you really need a sim card, ready for action before you leave, then you can get one here.

Anyone ever bought those? Are they legit? How do they get around the ID?

Download the Google maps for the area you need as offline before you go.

Will Google Maps work with location on and data off if I do this? As in, if (when) we get lost, will it direct us back to the correct route without data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

3 told me that I get 4gb roaming data in Europe for the extra fiver that they upped my 30 day business sim to.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does having a Vodafone Ireland phone mean you can use foreign Vodafone sims though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

They are 100% legit, I bought a few from them in the past.
    I can't remember about the id part, so not sure if they asked for a photo id for the first sim or not, but they definitely send the sims and they worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

3 told me that I get 4gb roaming data in Europe for the extra fiver that they upped my 30 day business sim to.

Same here but I have a feeling it won't kick in till 3rd April and I might be going last minute to Spain this weekend

Will Google Maps work with location on and data off if I do this? As in, if (when) we get lost, will it direct us back to the correct route without data?

AFAIK Google maps doesn't allow you to download offline maps for Spain. Something to do with licensing. That was the case a couple of years ago when I looked into it and I think it is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Here maps works perfect in Spain offline it's been amazing for me on many occasions offline

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

To buy the sim in store you need passport, have bought them on previous holidays in spain. If i remember correctly off line maps worked last year in Spain for me downloaded in Spain area I needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Three UK Data SIMs are great value IMO. They work in 48 countries including the US, which is normally extremely expensive and you can use it over multiple trips.

12GB for 12 months £23.95
    https://www.mymemory.ie/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

3GB for 3 months £10.99
    https://www.mymemory.ie/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-3G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-3GB-Data

The other tip is that in Google Maps you can create offline maps of the areas you are going to before you go. Good idea even if you get one of these data sims. Also maps.me is a great app for getting offline maps of areas.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

bk wrote: »
    The Three UK Data SIMs are great value IMO. They work in 48 countries including the US, which is normally extremely expensive and you can use it over multiple trips.

https://www.mymemory.ie/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

3GB for 3 months £10.99

The other tip is that in Google Maps you can create offline maps of the areas you are going to before you go. Good idea even if you get one of these data sims. Also maps.me is a great app for getting offline maps of areas.

Good tips, I found Here maps more user friendly than google maps for offline useage, particularly driving, the fact you could log onto your Here account on a desktop/laptop(I find it's easier to plan on a desktop)and add your pinpoints to different folders/collections which are then synced to your offline maps on your phone, made planning a trip much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

3GB for 3 months £10.99

Thanks. Will they work for tethering?

M

leex wrote: »
    Thanks. Will they work for tethering?

No they won't, which is a pity...

What's not included?

You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

3GB for 3 months £10.99

If I ordered today, would I have it tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

loopymum wrote: »
    If I ordered today, would I have it tomorrow?

No mymemory is based in channel islands as its benefit from tax, duty and vat point of view.

Advertisement