Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the Scumbag Who Robbed My Phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

scoey wrote: »
    Victim blaming?
    People should have an expection of personal safety when using their phone on the streets.
    Says it all about the low level crime situation on Dublin streets that so many believe on some level the victim is to blame for making themselves a target by having the audacity to use their belongings outside.

er NO WAY. I was simply wondering is all. Gee! You are sensitive today!

It was a simple question is all!

Only one person t blame here and that is the thief. Cannot the phone be traced or is that just in US thrillers?

I see this a lot, phones in hands and wonder if folk do not have pockets any more!

And I agree totally with what I have bolded. We have to take extreme measures to keep stuff safe. Seen a lot of signs outside graveyards warning not to leave valuables in their cars as there have been thefts when funerals are taking place . Low life....

And sadly this is clearly the reality we are living with.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Graces7 wrote: »
    Victim blaming?
    People should have an expection of personal safety when using their phone on the streets.
    Says it all about the low level crime situation on Dublin streets that so many believe on some level the victim is to blame for making themselves a target by having the audacity to use their belongings outside.

er NO WAY. I was simply wondering is all. Gee! You are sensitive today!

Not at all. I was just commenting on it as it is a reaction that I have seen many times over the years in Dublin.
    "Don't use white earphones"
    "Why didn't you keep your eyes on your bag for the ten seconds in which it was robbed"
    "Why did you bring your bike into town anyway"
    "Why did you go down such and such street anyway"

I'm just saying it's a sorry state of affairs that this is the way things are in Dublin (and many other places I'm sure).

I guess personal vigilance and keeping your head down in public so as not to attract the attention of criminals is required when you have a police force who have little visible presence outside of a select few spots in terms of on foot patrols and who act like the fire brigade and sit in the station or their cars until called to come and put out a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not at all. I was just commenting on it as it is a reaction that I have seen many times over the years in Dublin.
    "Why didn't you keep your eyes on your bag for the ten seconds in which it was robbed"

I'm just saying it's a sorry state of affairs that this is the state of affairs in Dublin.

I guess personal vigilance and keeping your head down in public so as not to attract the attention of criminals is required what you have a police force who act like the fire brigade and sit in the station or their cars until called to come and put out a fire.

As a mere country bumpkin who hates cities and even large towns this is all alien to me. thankfully.

I "even" sometimes leave the car unlocked on LIDL car park locally :eek:

Was in Dublin once as I landed there when I came to Ireland many years ago. Has no attraction for me.

Reading eg "Oliver Twist" and the gangs of highly trained young pickpockets there, I guess things have not changed that much sadly .

And I have few if any gripes re the Gardai either, which is again a different matter in rural areas.

But is there really so much "victim blaming"?
    A totally new phrase to me; never heard it before today.. Sad, really sad,

That is inexcusable,it really is. Glad we have boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

What's your reproduction status got to do with being robbed?

Absolutely nothing but I'm so glad I didn't reproduce you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Ha ha, what a great response, brilliant.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there a find my phone type app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

ted1 wrote: »
    Is there a find my phone type app?

cerberus and find my droid from what I remember. Cerberus does a lot more than just find your phone, can't delete it and you can listen in on the thief's messegages and phone calls as well as takes pictures of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Sono

Best thing to do is move away from Dublin, its an absolute kip of a place full of robbing dirty scum. Loads of lovely people too of course, but big cities are unsafe.

What a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm just saying it's a sorry state of affairs that this is the way things are in Dublin (and many other places I'm sure).

I guess personal vigilance and keeping your head down in public so as not to attract the attention of criminals is required when you have a police force who have little visible presence outside of a select few spots in terms of on foot patrols and who act like the fire brigade and sit in the station or their cars until called to come and put out a fire.

The police can't be everywhere. I remember being in a bar on the strip in Vegas. A group of women where drinking at a table across from us. A 6'5" bouncer walked up behind them and picked up 2 handbags and held them outstretched at shoulder height beside them for a few minutes till eventually he had to make contact with them.

There have been thieves as long as we existed so while we'd all love to live in the ideal world where you can leave your personal possessions in the open we don't. So we need to make sure instead that we make it harder for the scumbags.

KilOit wrote: »
    cerberus and find my droid from what I remember. Cerberus does a lot more than just find your phone, can't delete it and you can listen in on the thief's messegages and phone calls as well as takes pictures of them

Android has a find my phone feature built in and I'm sure that IOS would be similar. All are not much use though as rely on WiFi and/or cellular towers which aren't accurate and all they do is turn the phone off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Del2005 wrote:
    Android has a find my phone feature built in and I'm sure that IOS would be similar. All are not much use though as rely on WiFi and/or cellular towers which aren't accurate and all they do is turn the phone off.

Samsung have their own version too. I always assumed the location was fairly accurate. Think you can remotely turn on location settings if location is switched off.

You can also wipe and lock phones with this feature so maybe it's a minor consolation but the thieves won't be able to use the phone if you use this feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

:D actual belly laugh, well played :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Okay the title is a lie. It was actually my sons phone. I'm not looking to start a GofundMe page or look to send my family to Disney. Friday afternoon at about 4.30 you grabbed my sons phone out of my hand. I suppose one or two of you are wondering why I have my sons phone but to encourage studying I take the PlayStation and Xbox controllers and hide them in my car. My son is fully on board with this and gets me to take his Samsung Galaxy 6 phone as well because sometimes Games as well as Instagram and Snapchat can distract him. I have lost my confidence and nerve now because of you. Who brought you up to cycle up beside 41 year old women and wrestle phones out of your hand. I love walking and dare I say it playing Pokemon Go but I'm afraid now. I thought nothing of going out walking at 6am in the morning but now I'm hiding In my house. Thanks for nothing Scumbag

Also nearly had this happen to me around last september playing pokemon go, i only noticed him when i stepped to my right to let people on the left past and i heard a ping(him cycling into pole) and then him saying "you fT^*&^&* p7979, i'll burst ye" didn't pay to much attention to that only for the old man waiting at the bus stop 70/80 tried to hit him. Anybody in town on a bicycle is odds on up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭billyhead

A lot of scumbags around sadly. Smart phones are a wet dream for them these days.

I was in one of the Chinese Phone Unlocking shops on Moore Street (Dublin) last year and a junkie skanger comes in and asks about fixing "his" iPhone. Went on to say that he "forgot" his unlock screen password. Chinese lad knew the score and firmly said no. Reckon it's a daily occurrence for him.

That said I wouldn't be surprised to hear other shops would do it for him.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic but I was wondering how reliable are these chinese shops for unlocking a mobile phone from one network to be use on another. Is there a risk or data being compromised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

In the ifsc and Spencer dock area have a big problem with scummers on bikes robbing phones. Always keep alert to tracksuit type scummers on bikes.

Donutz wrote: »
    Samsung have their own version too. I always assumed the location was fairly accurate. Think you can remotely turn on location settings if location is switched off.

You can also wipe and lock phones with this feature so maybe it's a minor consolation but the thieves won't be able to use the phone if you use this feature.

They all have the same problem with accuracy as they are all using the same technique, triangulation from cell towers and WiFi, so can get you to a few hundred metres but the actual device could be anywhere in the circle.

That's all they are useful for. Wiping if stolen or emitting noise if you lost it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

Yea saw someone get their phone swiped on O'Connell in this fashion over Christmas - so watch for any guys on bikes around there - do not have your phone out in the city centre at all, preferably.
    Also know someone who had their passport, among many other important documents, swiped unawares from their rucksack on O'Connell.

While (disclaimer time) I don't advocate it, wouldn't feel bad seeing one of these fúckers jumped while trying to steal a phone, and getting the shíte kicked out of them.
    If the police don't check and follow up the plentiful CCTV for these guys, they probably wouldn't check it for anyone that jumps one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

This happened a lot outside my old workplace in Dublin 2, young chap on a bike would hang around the office building and target women with phone out listening to music or texting, but who were also wearing heels so they couldn't chase after them

Advertisement