Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the Scumbag Who Robbed My Phone

Options
  • 19-03-2017 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Okay the title is a lie. It was actually my sons phone. I'm not looking to start a GofundMe page or look to send my family to Disney. Friday afternoon at about 4.30 you grabbed my sons phone out of my hand. I suppose one or two of you are wondering why I have my sons phone but to encourage studying I take the PlayStation and Xbox controllers and hide them in my car. My son is fully on board with this and gets me to take his Samsung Galaxy 6 phone as well because sometimes Games as well as Instagram and Snapchat can distract him. I have lost my confidence and nerve now because of you. Who brought you up to cycle up beside 41 year old women and wrestle phones out of your hand. I love walking and dare I say it playing Pokemon Go but I'm afraid now. I thought nothing of going out walking at 6am in the morning but now I'm hiding In my house. Thanks for nothing Scumbag

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Was the galaxy 6 the one that catches on fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

No it's the one that hopefully makes the robber go under a 40 foot truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

It used to be they only snatched your handbag - what is this world coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Don't hide, **** happens. I'm sorry to hear it happened in this case.

A couple of points though, just got an M8s, have yet to find anything it'll not do that a top end phone won't, much less nickable. Secondly be aware of your surroundings, I'm a fat 6'2" man and I can be on the shoulder of 98% of people in Dublin. It's not until I say 'excuse me please' and they jump out of their skin that they even know I'm there.

Well he try that but my bad I happened to have the phone in my hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Do you remember that fella who had his kidney robbed while he was queueing for a kebab?

On a serious note: I grew up in a rough estate where kids did this kinda stuff (same thing on bikes - snatching women's bags) - to say they were "brought up" is stretching it, a looooooot. Sorry to hear of your ordeal, but like someone said, don't let it make you live in fear. Where I live, I have had threats of violence for simply walking down the street - it's hard when you feel unsafe, but what happened to you is most likely a once off - don't let it own you.

Do you remember that fella who had his kidney robbed while he was queueing for a kebab?

No i remembered the 41 year old mother of 2 walking home getting robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well he try that but my bad I happened to have the phone in my hand

Opertuneist thieves work this way. My sister saw a person getting their phone taken while standing waiting to cross the road.

This is why you are advised to only use your phone while stopped with something solid behind you. Walking with the phone out is like chumping the sea for sharks and then complaining about sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Last year in Switzerland, I left my iPhone 7 plus on a train, only had it a couple of months and realised when I got off I had made a huge blunder, I was heading in the opposition direction to where the train was going.
    So I had to get a train to chase my phone, landed at the next main train station, went to the ticket office, told the woman behind the counter what happened, she went and got my phone, handed it to me, rearranged my train travel and told me to enjoy the city I was in for an hour before getting the train. I thought I would never see it again.
    Sometimes incidents happen that may make one lose faith in the human race, other times one is reminded of the goodness in the other humans, so something bad happened to you OP, you can't let it dictate things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A lot of scumbags around sadly. Smart phones are a wet dream for them these days.

I was in one of the Chinese Phone Unlocking shops on Moore Street (Dublin) last year and a junkie skanger comes in and asks about fixing "his" iPhone. Went on to say that he "forgot" his unlock screen password. Chinese lad knew the score and firmly said no. Reckon it's a daily occurrence for him.

That said I wouldn't be surprised to hear other shops would do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I probably shouldn't have wrote that dumb post. It's no joke being a victim of crime. My apologies.

I probably shouldn't have wrote that dumb post. It's no joke being a victim of crime. My apologies.

Actually I have to apologise I'm really 42. In denial about my age.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Opertuneist thieves work this way. My sister saw a person getting their phone taken while standing waiting to cross the road.

This is why you are advised to only use your phone while stopped with something solid behind you. Walking with the phone out is like chumping the sea for sharks and then complaining about sharks.

I know I feel a right idiot. I'm working around OConnell St years and I reckon I've seen it all. I know the rules about phones out in public but there is an element that it won't happen to me. Just feel vulnerable and a muppet at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That's renally awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Best thing to do is move away from Dublin, its an absolute kip of a place full of robbing dirty scum. Loads of lovely people too of course, but big cities are unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Best thing to do is move away from Dublin, its an absolute kip of a place full of robbing dirty scum. Loads of lovely people too of course, but big cities are unsafe.

I reckon at some point we'll see some random vigilante take the law into his/her own hands and just start targeting random scumbags. Not quite Batman but you get the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I reckon at some point we'll see some random vigilante take the law into his/her own hands and just start targeting random scumbags. Not quite Batman but you get the idea

His name is Oliver Queen

like those guys who dressed in spandex and patrolled the streets of cities like San Francisco. I can't imagine the skangers being terrified at that prospect

His name is Oliver Queen

His name is Mr Extreme!!

http://reallifesuperheroes.com/2011/12/15/mr-xtreme/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,390 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd love if they invented a phone that you could get to explode or if a dye pack went of on the phone if it was stolen.
    Sorry to hear about your situation OP.
    I myself think muggings similar to this really turn people off going out shopping in Dublin city center and them heading to the out of town centers. I know now you can get mugged anywhere but I always feel safer and more relaxed in a shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So nice being out in the country miles from anywhere... take the guards ages to arrive, that's if anyone even notices you've not been heard from for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's your reproduction status got to do with being robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

084f5fe8_eddit-griffin-eating-popcorn-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Shame but the fact is Dublin has been a dump for decades and unfortunately there is seemingly no will among the population for a harder line on "small time" crime like muggings or the drug "victims" behind a lot of such crime.

If you live in Dublin you just have to get used to the possibility of having a run in with some scummer while going about your business.
    Consider yourself lucky you made it to 42 without having to deal with that. You must be from a nicer area of Dublin than me.

Many people have such an experience at some stage and when it comes down to it, beyond the empty words of sympathy for a mugging victim etc most Dubliners seem to treat small scale crime and thuggery with an "ah sure, that's life" attitude.

I don't know if the lack of will to tackle criminality and junkies is reflective of the actual opinions of the majority or simply a loud and disproportionately influential minority. The type of people who dedicate their lives to crying about the hard lives of underprivelaged criminals can shout a lot louder than the average person trying to go about their life without feeling unsafe on the streets.

If the people are ever presented with any way of choosing a harder line on criminality it will be interesting to see what happens.

Good job there is no crime in rural areas.

I'd love if they invented a phone that you could get to explode.

They did, the Note 7

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So nice being out in the country miles from anywhere... take the guards ages to arrive, that's if anyone even notices you've not been heard from for a few days.

Made me smile! I am way out here again and have a good alarm system. If my family in Canada do not get a call , after two days they raise the alarm. Works great. The last place the postlady would sound her horn if I had left mail out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why though do so many walk around phone in hand? Water bottle in the other hand in summer, coffee cup in winter....

OP, hope you get it back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why though do so many walk around phone in hand? Water bottle in the other hand in summer, coffee cup in winter....

OP, hope you get it back...

Victim blaming?
    People should have an expectation of personal safety when using their phone on the streets.
    Says it all about the low level crime situation on Dublin streets that so many believe on some level the victim is to blame for making themselves a target by having the audacity to use their belongings outside.

Advertisement