Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuck Berry is dead.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

One of my favourite Chuck Berry songs is his first hit, Maybelline and apparently one of the first rock and roll songs. No wonder rock and roll caught on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

not mentioned much but he was a jailed paedo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

AnneFrank wrote: »
    not mentioned much but he was a jailed paedo

Ah it is mentioned in every obituary I've read. His being a nasty bad and dangerous creep doesn't change the fact that he was also a musical genius whose recordings made millions of people happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

infogiver wrote: »
    Ah it is mentioned in every obituary I've read. His being a nasty bad and dangerous creep doesn't change the fact that he was also a musical genius whose recordings made millions of people happy.

By that logic you could say that Eamon Cooke was a legend because the set up a pirate radio station in the late '60's or early '70's and therefore was something of a trailblazer in the development of independent radio in Ireland. Never mind the lives of many young women who were irreparably damaged by his sick perversions.

Chuck Berry had a couple of hits, most of them in the 1950's, and yes, he was one of the pioneers of Rock & Roll and modern music as we now know it. Secretly videotaping women and girls in public toilets, and all the other sick stuff he did with women (I nearly threw up watching that infamous video of him with the woman in the shower), negates every one of his achievements in my eyes. What a sick, vile excuse of a man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

By that logic you could say that Eamon Cooke was a legend because the set up a pirate radio station in the late '60's or early '70's and therefore was something of a trailblazer in the development of independent radio in Ireland. Never mind the lives of many young women who were irreparably damaged by his sick perversions.

Chuck Berry had a couple of hits, most of them in the 1950's, and yes, he was one of the pioneers of Rock & Roll and modern music as we now know it. Secretly videotaping women and girls in public toilets, and all the other sick stuff he did with women (I nearly threw up watching that infamous video of him with the woman in the shower), negates every one of his achievements in my eyes. What a sick, vile excuse of a man.

Eamonn Cooke set up a pirate radio station in order to groom children to feed his paedophilia. You can't compare his crimes with Chuck Berrys.
    Or maybe YOU can.
    If your going to condemn every pop star who ever took advantage of a groupie then we could be hear all night and we'd have to banish a lot of big hits from the radio forever.
    As long as your happy to also condemn the likes of Jimmy Paige, just for starts...
    I've already condemned Chuck Berry. But most people, like myself, are able to separate the"sickness" from the genius.
    You must be horrified at the likes of The Stones, Springsteen, U2 all ignoring his misdemeanours while they trip over themselves in their rush to pay tribute.
    Are they all sick vile excuses too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I remember when I first the song 'Maybellene'.
    It was the rawest sounding song I ever heard.

R.I.P. Chuck Berry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

infogiver wrote: »
    Eamonn Cooke set up a pirate radio station in order to groom children to feed his paedophilia. You can't compare his crimes with Chuck Berrys.
    Or maybe YOU can.
    If your going to condemn every pop star who ever took advantage of a groupie then we could be hear all night and we'd have to banish a lot of big hits from the radio forever.
    As long as your happy to also condemn the likes of Jimmy Paige, just for starts...
    I've already condemned Chuck Berry. But most people, like myself, are able to separate the"sickness" from the genius.
    You must be horrified at the likes of The Stones, Springsteen, U2 all ignoring his misdemeanours while they trip over themselves in their rush to pay tribute.
    Are they all sick vile excuses too?

I have heard many stories, some of which I was actually horrified buy, others which did make me somewhat disappointed of artists who I listened to. I would never take advantage of any woman myself and would look very negatively at anyone who would do the same for that exact reason, however, Chuck Berry's escapades are, in my view, not in any way comparable with a one-off event with some groupie. Seriously, they b*stard installed hidden cameras in ladies' toilets in his restaurant and used to watch the videotapes while pulling the mickey off himself. In that other sex-tape did you not see how he treated that woman? Absolutely vile stuff

Advertisement