Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many know off? Incest

Options
  • 18-03-2017 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭

I know this mightn't be the appropriate forum to post this but here goes.

Im wanting to know how many on here would know of or heard of this sort of carryon in ireland in previous years. Sadly, i can say i know at least 4 familes where this has happened whether mutual or abused.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/celebrity/incest-is-traditional-in-ireland-tilda-swintons-ex-partner-reveals-he-is-the-child-of-an-incestuous-relationship/ar-BByl1ON?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=mailsignout

Tilda Swinton's ex-partner John Byrne has revealed that he is the child of an incestuous relationship between his mother and grandfather.

Byrne, an artist and writer, told The Times that he found out that he is the son of his mother Alice and her father Patrick McShane in 2002 when he and Swinton were in their home in Scotland.

His cousin Aileen told him the news when she rang to tell him that her mother Helen had died.

"[Helen] told Aileen what my mother had told her, when she was much younger. Aileen asked Tilda, 'Do you think I should tell Iain (a family name for Byrne)?' Tilda said, 'You’ve got to tell him.' She called me in and handed me the phone," he said.

Byrne said that "everything fell into place" when he was told.

"My mother was constantly voyaging out to Cardonald (where his grandparents lived). I once thought she wanted him to go down on his bended knee and beg forgiveness. No. She was in love with her own father, utterly and totally."

"She just wanted to be in his company. She couldn’t even confess it. My own father [his mother’s husband, Patrick Byrne] didn’t know."

Speaking of incest, Byrne said: "That's what they do in Ireland."

"I think he gave me that wonderful mixture of genes with his own daughter, the eldest of the family. That’s what they do in Ireland. I presume it’s what they do in unlettered places and lettered places. It’s traditional, and nobody speaks about it."

Byrne's mother died in a hospital in the 1980s after a long struggle with mental illness, while his grandfather and father died of cancer.

Byrne and Swinton split in 2005 and have two children together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

i know of a brother and sister living together and raising a family

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Disturbing. No Ive never heard of it happening with anybody I know, but I doubt incestuous couples would be too loud about their relationships anyway as its not exactly accepted by many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Just saw that article and was wondering why there was no thread on here.

Yer man sounds (and looks) like a gob****e. For his sake I will assume these are a result of the incest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yes i know a lot of people from Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yes i know a lot of people from Roscommon.

Cavan too , particularly around the lakes.The webbed feet are handy there.
    Though the question must be asked if a Cavan man divorces his wife , are they still cousins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Does abuse 'trump' incest? There does seem to be reports in media almost weekly of uncles & niece, mothers watching / aiding abuse of their kid. Is this incest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

shugy wrote: »

That’s what they do in Ireland.

**** off, it's no more common in Ireland than it is in any other country, ie. Not very common

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Just my mum, my wife and my sister....
    Reminds me must get a mothers day present!

It's strange how he characterizes his mother as being 'in love' with her father, instead of in thrall. If she was a child when the incest started, then her devotion to her father is a symptom of something much less benign. One person was in a position of trust and authority over the other, it leaves very little room for it being a simple case of falling in love with a person who happens to be your father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Your sister is your mother
    your father is your brother
    you like to f**k each other
    ( add name ) Family.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

A newly recognised minority in this country have no problem with it.

"I think he gave me that wonderful mixture of genes with his own daughter, the eldest of the family. That’s what they do in Ireland. I presume it’s what they do in unlettered places and lettered places. It’s traditional, and nobody speaks about it".

It's not what we do, it's not traditional, and if it involves a parent/child and possible undertones of grooming or straightforward statutory rape, it's depraved. If it's brother and sister above the age of consent, possibly not as outrageous...but still far for traditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

It sounds like he was just trying in some ways to normalise the relationship between his mother mother and grandfather. I suppose how else would he cope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

We are all related in a way according to the Bible Adam and Eve got us all started

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Does abuse 'trump' incest? There does seem to be reports in media almost weekly of uncles & niece, mothers watching / aiding abuse of their kid. Is this incest?

No this is not incest it is rape and sexual abuse.

Also the daughter that fell in love with her Dad... I think this was also rape and abuse and the girl was probably mentally disturbed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Senna wrote: »
    **** off, it's no more common in Ireland than it is in any other country, ie. Not very common

Sounds like he's trying to normalize it in his own mind

Probably makes it easier to deal with when he tells himself it's not that abnormal. Same as how some abuse victims do

This Byrne guy even refers to his mothers long struggle with mental illness, but still characterizes this story as being a love story.

He seems like the kind of person who has difficulty in connecting the dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Does he have an exhibition or book just out?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Candie wrote: »
    He seems like the kind of person who has difficulty in connecting the dots.

Well he is inbred. Cut him some slack!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I never heard of this absolute tool before.

1. Why would you go to the papers with something like this? These are the very kind of Z lister`s that end up on the Late Late giving out about the paps intruding on their personal lives.
    2. I wonder how I`d get on insulting any other nationality with a clear false hood like this:

"I think he gave me that wonderful mixture of genes with his own daughter, the eldest of the family. That’s what they do in Ireland. I presume it’s what they do in unlettered places and lettered places. It’s traditional, and nobody speaks about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Senna wrote: »

Incest was historically extremely rare in Ireland, even marriage to a third cousin required special permission from a bishop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Incest - the game the whole family can play.

Although we always preferred Scrabble or the Game of Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Speaking of incest, Byrne said:

Rrriiggghhttt. Swap that for: "That's what they do in Romania/Syria/Nigeria." and we'd have some mega clusterfcuk on Twitter/FB/wherever.

Gobshlte.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Never come across it personally.

I do know Trump wants to bang his own daughter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

My counsellor, an addiction therapist, says that she reckons 80%-90% of her clients are survivors of child sexual abuse, and it's almost always a family member involved.

I'm a survivor myself, and I think it's difficult to distinguish between incest and sex abuse. Regardless of the ages of those involved, there's usually only one person with power and control in the situation. I was only three when it started, so I guess it's more "clear cut" that I'd no choice in it - it didn't stop me blaming myself entirely for it until quite recently. For others who might be older - but still vulnerable in whatever way - the distinction is even more difficult, and the guilt and shame are even harder to escape.

Many of my closest friends who I've met throughout my recovery have survived all sorts of horrific abuse situations. I've heard firsthand so many stories, from siblings "experimenting" as teenagers, to really sadistic cruel violent abuse of young children.

It's easy to joke about "incest is best" etc etc whatever, but when you know so many very real normal good people who've been directly affected by it ... it's more common than most people would ever imagine, and the damage done is extremely deep and permanent and so difficult to ever come back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Ex claimed siblings from a large family in athlone living in a small 3 bed semi where shagging eachother.

Apparently it was well known

There was a spider in the bath last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I only know of some travelers who marry their cousins: 2nd and 3rd, which is far too close to be allowed legally but the Church accommodates and the State allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Cavan too , particularly around the lakes.The webbed feet are handy there.
    Though the question must be asked if a Cavan man divorces his wife , are they still cousins?

Get the **** you :mad:

A boy is ****ing his sister and says: "Damn, you're much better than mum."
    His sister replies: "Yeah, dad thinks so, too.":D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Advertisement