Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think I should do here?

Options
  • 17-03-2017 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I live at home with my mother. Some people think if an adult is living at home, they get everything done for them and bills paid and food cooked and laundry done. For me, none of that and I'm good with that. I pay my way and took some of the house hold bills under my wing.

It's just rental properties in my area are limited and whatever is there is just crazy in price so for now, this will have to do me.

So anyways I'm dating a lad and things are going well. I would like to plan a movie night at home with him. Get some food and alcohol and not worry about him driving home. He could sleep on the couch. The sitting room isn't usually in use. My mam usually remains in the kitchen where there is a TV and she usually goes to bed early.

I know if I was to run this by her of having a friend over in the sitting room, she will say no. Do you think, should I just invite him in and say nothing to her.

I have family living abroad and they came home on holidays and they had a few nights where they had their friends over for drinks and a game of cards and it was just like old times where they all rallied around in the sitting room. So I don't know how this could be any different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Probably the fact that you'll be lubed up might cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Can't you just let the lad finger blast you in the cinema like any other mature adults would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you?

Do you ask permission to go out to the stops to buy stuff? To use the washing machine? To cook dinner?

Don't ask.

Worst case she kicks you out and you present to the council as homeless ... they put ypu in a hotel. Probably she gets over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

You'd think she'd let you date - it might lead to you getting out of the house eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

How old are you?

Do you ask permission to go out to the stops to buy stuff? To use the washing machine? To cook dinner?

Don't ask.

Worst case she kicks you out and you present to the council as homeless ... they put ypu in a hotel. Probably she gets over it.

Ha ha ha.

Worst case she kicks you out and you sleep on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Its still your Mothers house and home. It's disrespectful just to bring someone in without speaking to her in advance about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Movie night eh?

psycho-house.jpg

Explain the hassle you had to go and buy lube..........
    She will hardly want you to waste it!

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Movie night eh?

psycho-house.jpg

The truth about mother is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Go for it OP invite him over and say nothing you only live once!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

You've surely had friends over before? I take that your a young professional so no doubt you have a few mates that would call over. Just say that this guy is a new friend and take out a bottle of wine during the course of your evening then tell your mother you wouldn't want him to be driving home after a few drinks. Do ya know where the creaky floorboards are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Probably the fact that you'll be lubed up might cause issues.

I said movie night, not a riding night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Go out to a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How old are you?

Don't ask.

OP ends up in a hotel at the tax payer's expense and you're the first one to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

You pay your way, you live your life. Period.

Living with your mother though puts you back into childhood rules - which goes both ways. Your worries might be more in your head than actually applied by your mother. Maybe she would be happy for you to have a love life? Don't underestimate parents.

Maybe she was waiting for it all along that finally you have a boyfriend, build a serious relationship and move out?
    Or maybe she only would say no because she is caught in the same old as you?

If she makes a fuss, overrule her (as you would do with bullies): Mam, pay your own bills and live alone for the rest of your life. Bye.
    She would reconsider.

Assert yourself, grow up and live your own life. And forget about the couch if things get more, ehm, intimate. It's your life - and your home as well.

And no need to apologise about the property/renting situation. We all know that.

Go out to a movie.

We went to the cinema already and hopefully we'll go again. You know, it would be great to stay in and have some drinks and not worry about driving just to mix things up a bit.

I assume you are an adult. Speak to your mother lime an adult.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Put a shot of vodka in her cup of tea or horlicks or whatever and she'll be out like a light.

But who knows. That may be the sofa where you yourself were conceived and she may see this as part of the rich tapestry that is the circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I said movie night, not a riding night.

One thing might lead to another :o

• Advertisement

I assume you are an adult. Speak to your mother lime an adult.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe she can't talk to her parent as an adult.

Maybe she can't talk to her parent as an adult.

Then it's high time she started.

osarusan wrote: »
    Put a shot of vodka in her cup of tea or horlicks or whatever and she'll be out like a light.

But who knows. That may be the sofa where you yourself were conceived and she may see this as part of the rich tapestry that is the circle of life.

That is so funny. Belly full of laughs here. I'm very sure I wasn't conceived on that sofa. Bought the couch around about 10 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

That is so funny. Belly full of laughs here. I'm very sure I wasn't conceived on that sofa. Bought the couch around about 10 years ago.

Have you shagged yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I would treat this the same as any other house sharing situation: be respectful to others, demand respect in return.

If one party can have guests to stay, so can the other. If you can't talk to her adult to adult, you really need to start looking for somewhere else to live.

Then it's high time she started.

Olivia Purple Applause. I agree if it was a "normal" situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Could you go to his? If it was me I would say it to your mum first just in case she kicks off when he is there.
    How old are you? Does she rely on you to pay bills? Perhaps say you'll have to move out Id she kicks up and hope she doesn't call your bluff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can he not get a taxi home if you're worried about him driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can you not just go to his place or is he also living at home with mammy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If you are expecting him to sleep on the couch then I would be more worried about what he thinks than what your mum thinks.
    Either offer him a bed or a taxi home.
    Or you go to his for the night?

Advertisement