Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US may attack North Korea first

Options
  • 17-03-2017 11:48am

Looks like the US is turning up the heat on NK
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39297031
    The US has said its policy of "strategic patience" with North Korea is over, and suggested it may decide to take pre-emptive military action.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the option was "on the table" if the threat from the North's weapons programme reached a level requiring it.

During a visit to South Korea, he also said the US was exploring a range of new diplomatic and economic measures.

He also defended the deployment of a US missile system in South Korea.

The move has angered China, but South Korea and the US say the system is needed to defend against North Korea.

Mr Tillerson spoke shortly after visiting the demilitarised zone which divides the two Koreas.

He arrived in South Korea from Japan, where he said that 20 years of efforts aimed at persuading North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions had failed.

Looks like some of the worst fears of a Trump Administration may be about to come true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I blame China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

cnocbui wrote: »
    I blame China.

China used to be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Poor Kim Jong-un, only recently he lost his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CormacOH

I know there's a crazy dictator there with a growing army and nuclear programme and a population/culture we don't fully understand, but enough about The USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Send in this one to defuse the tension

bbcgirl1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

No way is America going in there...NK will fight back big time and like all bullies America will avoid such an opponent and sail on past looking for some weak victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^ That glance down to his video feed.

archer22 wrote: »
    No way is America going in there...NK will fight back big time and like all bullies America will avoid such an opponent and sail on past looking for some weak victim.

What will they fight back with precisely?

What will they fight back with precisely?

Do an internet search on North Korean military power and you will find out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

North Korea is best Korea.

• Advertisement

Any pre-emptive strike would have to be overwhelmingly massive to avoid any chance of a counter attack, plus it would have to be planned in total secrecy.
    A NK retaliation would have no specific target as the world except China is considered hostile by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any pre-emptive strike would have to be overwhelmingly massive to avoid any chance of a counter attack, plus it would have to be planned in total secrecy.
    A NK retaliation would have no specific target as the world except China is considered hostile by them.

Seoul is within range of North Korea armies

I'll bet there are more than a few in China today who are ruing helping out N Korea in the Korean war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

North Korea is best Korea.

Tell that to the starving masses, I'm sure it will make their miserable existence more tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nah, not with the peace-loving Trump we were told about in the election in power.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'll bet there are more than a few in China today who are ruing helping out N Korea in the Korean war.

They would still do the same today...China's policy is simple, they will not tolerate America troops on their border.
    Also the reason America never invaded North Vietnam...they knew what China's reaction would be.

They've found a way to launch famine at the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am planning on going to NK for Patricks day next year to do a pub crawl. (Seriously).

A war would be very inconvenient for my travel plans.

They've found a way to launch famine at the US?

Yeah the same as US launched famine on them with sanctions :mad:

Cut out the nonsense, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Love all the posters that wont have a bad word said about any despot that's unfriendly to the US. Bet most would take their holidays in DisneyWorld long before 2 week sun holiday in Pyongyang.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Finally an invasion we can all agree on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jacksie66 wrote: »
    America. Telling the world what they can and can't do for generations.

If we were the likely targets for their nukes, would you be looking for Enda to do something or sit and wait till he sees one through the velux in Leinster House?

Love all the posters that wont have a bad word said about any despot that's unfriendly to the US. Bet most would take their holidays in DisneyWorld long before 2 week sun holiday in Pyongyang.

Yeah we are only supposed to have good words for the legions of despots that are friendly to the US.

"DisneyWorld" :eek: Pyongyang would be a thousand times more interesting and educational than that plastic loud garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I wonder would NK have the money for food if they didn't spend billions on a nuclear program...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd put money on Trump invading a country on a major scale before the next election. It's the only thing that could get him re-elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Any pre-emptive strike would have to be overwhelmingly massive ...

Taking out Kim would be a minimum. After that, and I think you'd seem some very relieved and grateful cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seoul. NK can't flatten it, but a few hundred thousand artillery rounds would be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

looks like the US is playing North Korea at their own game. They have been taunting the west for years, videos of New York under nuclear attack, nuclear weapons testing, artillery strikes on a South Korean island, sinking of a sub, threatening destruction. What did they think would happen.

Advertisement