Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of your head on Drink & Drugs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Both laws exist (public drunkenness and drunk and disorderly). The police in this country rarely enforce either.

I am too'ing and fro'wing I think but I think even if drink or drugs are not making a person a nuisance in a public place or to others .. even if they are rolling around incognitive, puking up or not puking up even if they are not bothering others .. I still think the law should stand, your drunk or high on drugs 'in public' and therefore you have/are committing a criminal offence, sounds harsh but most rules are in place for a certain reason not just the fun of it.

We might laugh at others who are rolling around drunk or high (I know I have) but in all seriousness do we want children out in public and events see'ing this as 'the norm' or risk a calm pacif drunk or high person hallucinating or taking something the wrong way in public like this just changing their mood in a split second, looking at it seriously like if we are being honest?

bubblypop wrote: »
    You must not have spent my time in the district courts!
    Hundreds charged every week

do you get fined €100eur every time? -

do you get fined €100eur every time? -

No.
    Depends on the judge, the circumstances, the offender whether or not they are first time offenders, if it's out of character etc.
    Whether there were other factors involved.
    That's fair enough I think.

I don't think anyone in the country just wants people fined just because they are intoxicated. Depends on what they do when intoxicated. Don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

bubblypop wrote: »

I don't think anyone in the country just wants people fined just because they are intoxicated. Depends on what they do when intoxicated. Don't you think?

Absolutely. If they want to get inebriated/fcuk themselves up, that's their decision. When it's interfering with other people, annoying or upsetting them or putting them in danger, that's also due to their decision and they should be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I am too'ing and fro'wing I think but I think even if drink or drugs are not making a person a nuisance in a public place or to others .. even if they are rolling around incognitive, puking up or not puking up even if they are not bothering others .. I still think the law should stand, your drunk or high on drugs 'in public' and therefore you have/are committing a criminal offence, sounds harsh but most rules are in place for a certain reason not just the fun of it.

We might laugh at others who are rolling around drunk or high (I know I have) but in all seriousness do we want children out in public and events see'ing this as 'the norm' or risk a calm pacif drunk or high person hallucinating or taking something the wrong way in public like this just changing their mood in a split second, looking at it seriously like if we are being honest?
    Like genuinely, can we really, truly say that we want this in all earnestness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I'd rather the government didn't make laws for the reason of "just because".

well they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't know. Some illegal drugs can kill quickly, and some might be more addictive than say, wine? It's less predictable or measurable, I think. Some of them have worse effects than alcohol. Have seen people turned into much worse than just drunks, as bad as some people are when drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Glenster wrote: »
    well they do.

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Glenster wrote: »
    well they do.

Thinking that is just pure laziness.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Why not do both?

• Advertisement

Why not do both?

Mixing drugs is something that relly should be done with research and care, in fairness!

Mixing drugs is something that relly should be done with research and care, in fairness!

Trail and error would benefit everyone IMHO.

I think I heard on the news this paddy's night that gardai are 'asking' people not to drink on the street's.... Not 'it is an offence to be drunk or drinking in a public area' .

Trail and error would benefit everyone IMHO.

Why? There's enough honest info and comprehensive websites out there and they will all tell you the consequences and potential negative effects of taking certain drugs with certain other drugs.

How are we on the comparison side of things , is there evidence that long-term drug taking is more dangerous than long term alcohol abuse? I suppose they can both kill, but I suppose even though they are both mind altering you can OD on drugs , maybe this is what makes one legal and the other one illegal?

How are we on the comparison side of things , is there evidence that long-term drug taking is more dangerous than long term alcohol abuse? I suppose they can both kill, but I suppose even though they are both mind altering you can OD on drugs , maybe this is what makes one legal and the other one illegal?

You switched terms there (perhaps accidently) and completly changed your stance:

Abuse of any drug substance - including alcohol - is dangerous and can kill.
    Long term drug-taking - inclucing alcohol - can enhance and make life more enjoyable. Can it kill? Can you prove it can? I mean, a guy who drinks a couple fo days every week until he's in his nineties and dies a natural death is a long-term drug user, but he's not killed by the substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ring a Ring o' Roses, the original gateway drug.

? No!

Why? There's enough honest info and comprehensive websites out there and they will all tell you the consequences and potential negative effects of taking certain drugs with certain other drugs.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

That's actually one of the more intelligent anti-drug arguments I've heard in my time. Bravo, Sir!

That's actually one of the more intelligent anti-drug arguments I've heard in my time. Bravo, Sir!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You switched terms there (perhaps accidently) and completly changed your stance:

Abuse of any drug substance - including alcohol - is dangerous and can kill.
    Long term drug-taking - inclucing alcohol - can enhance and make life more enjoyable. Can it kill? Can you prove it can? I mean, a guy who drinks a couple fo days every week until he's in his nineties and dies a natural death is a long-term drug user, but he's not killed by the substance.

Unless someone has a health condition, a couple of glasses of wine wouldn't kill them. An ecstasy tablet or some cocaine could, though. As far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong. (as if that needs to be said on Boards :D)

Unless someone has a health condition, a couple of glasses of wine wouldn't kill them. An ecstasy tablet or some cocaine could, though. As far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong. (as if that needs to be said on Boards :D)

Ecstacy - not if it's actualy ecstacy. People get killed taking stuff that's passed off as ecstacy, but it's not. Because it's illegal, there's no regualtory board and no cnosequences for the makers. This is one of the contradictions with the drug: it's illegal becaus it's dangerous, but then it's only dangerous when people ignore the rules when making it.

Cocaine - not 100% sure either, but I think it's only fatal to otherwise healthy people in overdoses. It's one of the most widely consumed drugs at underground parties though.

(Again, this is based on people taking it being 100% healthy and have no medical contraindications)

Advertisement