Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of your head on Drink & Drugs

Options
  • 17-03-2017 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭

I need a recap on being so inebriated on drink and whacked out on drugs - I need to get my head around how one is legal and the other is not legal - its not surely all down to taxes are paid to government on one but not on the other is it?

Both can get to the stage when used in excess that the 'user' is not in charge of their faculties and cannot remember what they are doing/were doing when high or highly intoxicated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You sure picked a great day to recap on drink and drugs begorrah!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Idiot groups with no shape or form
    Out of their heads on a quid of blow
    The shapeless kecks flapping up a storm
    Look at what they are: a pack of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

whiskeyman wrote: »
    You sure picked a great day to recap on drink and drugs begorrah!!

my timing is always impeccable :D

the day is young yet, I bet when I ask some of my friends "how was your St. Patrick's Day" they wil most probably say "i dont know, good I think - I cant remember!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It starts with irresponsible parents bringing their kids to playgrounds so they can experience weightlessness, excitement, and fun-fear with thier thrill-seeking peers. A kids playground is essentially a rave without drugs. Playgrounds should be banned.

It starts with irresponsible parents bringing their kids to playgrounds so they can experience weightlessness, excitement, and fun-fear with thier thrill-seeking peers. A kids playground is essentially a rave without drugs. Playgrounds should be banned.

some irresponsible parents should be banned too ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not sure you need mind-altering substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ring a Ring o' Roses, the original gateway drug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Andy if I were you I would forget these trivial issues and go away and take your wife on a vacation. God knows she needs it.

Andy if I were you I would forget these trivial issues and go away and take your wife on a vacation. God knows she needs it.

Can't afford it :( have you seen the price of flights and accommodation these days? ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's largely social conditioning that makes alcohol more outwardly acceptable.

Enjoy your national holiday tomorrow = get thrashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Actually, in circumstances where "being out of your head" is illegal - e.g. when you're in charge of a motor vehicle - it's illegal regardless of whether it's due to drink or drugs or a combination of the two.

The difference in the legal treatment is in relation to possessing/selling much more than consuming or being influenced by.

As for why the difference, it's a cultural preference. Our culture generally recognises - and had recognised for a long time - that there can be harmless and even beneficial uses of alcohol, and we have all kinds of long-established social and community rituals in which alcohol is involved. There's the tradition of a toast, for example, or of a shared meal enhanced with wine. And while we recognise that alcohol poses dangers, we have social conventions and legal controls intended to minimise the abuse of alcohol. They're of limited effect, certainly, but they're there.

This is true to a much lesser extent, or not at all, of drugs. So restricting or banning drugs doesn't question or threaten established cultural attitudes and social practices in the same way that restricting or banning alcohol does, or would. Hence, we're more prone to restrict or ban drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

My out of my head days are behind me. From the ages of 18 to 22 I'd be out every weekend drinking whatever I could get my hands on. Now I have 2 glasses of wine and I get the urge to clean me kitchen.

On the rare occasion I do go over board I can't stand that not in control of your limbs feeling. Old age is a terrible thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

People have been making alcohol for 9000 years now. Banning it would be a bit of a challenge (US prohibition) in most 'normal' countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Banning dope is increasingly a bit of a challenge too.

But the OP doesn't ask whether we can effectively ban either or both of them. He asks why we apparently want to ban the one but not the other.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I need a recap on being so inebriated on drink and whacked out on drugs - I need to get my head around how one is legal and the other is not legal - its not surely all down to taxes are paid to government on one but not on the other is it?

Both can get to the stage when used in excess that the 'user' is not in charge of their faculties and cannot remember what they are doing/were doing when high or highly intoxicated.

Was expecting this to be a thread about how the state should provide free drink and drugs to people who can't afford to get buzzed on Paddy's Day.

You're losing your touch, Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

why is walking around with a hurl legal but walking around with a sword against the law.

why is swatting a fly legal but swatting a dog is illegal

why is imbibing chemicals in the form of an apple legal but imbibing chemicals in the form of heroin illegal.

Just because. Now leave everyone alone.

Glenster wrote: »
    why is walking around with a hurl legal but walking around with a sword against the law.

why is imbibing chemicals in the form of an apple legal but imbibing chemicals in the form of heroin illegal.

Good points raised - let's not ban anything then ..... Or ban everything, because there sometimes just seemed no logic ... As you have just pointed out with some classic examples!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not to be pedantic, but being inebrieted on drink IS being whacked out on drugs.

The only official reason is because they are dangerous (which, as anyone who's ever taken some of them will tell you, is bull****) so we have:

Conspiracy theory 1: because certain drugs have an enlightenign effect that the Powers that BE rather you wouldn't have. It'd totally **** up the dumbing-down process (assuming you beieve there is a dumbing-down process going on at the moment)

Conspiracy throery 2: because the drinks markets have too much sway and people on drugs drink less (if at all). The highs are far more interesting and enjoyale and (unless abused) far safer to the people taking the drug.

I go with #1. It's the only logical explanation that actually ticks all the boxes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'd rather the government didn't make laws for the reason of "just because".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Because one is a weapon and the other is for sport. Yes the hurl can be used as a weapon but so can most things. A large battery. A stick. But that's not their primary purpose.

Because we have a legal order which is a bit speciest. We have to have some hierarchy or we would ban anti biotics

Because one is more harmful than the other.

Not just because.

• Advertisement

so... if drugs were legalised and bought in the same way as alcohol is with the same restrictions where would we be - would there be more drugs usage or less? (I think we came to the decision that you can be just as out of it on alcohol as you can on drugs didnt we? - and both are as bad as each other, and both is abused is bad for your health mentally and physically and people under the influence of drinks and/or drugs are not aware of their cognitive abilities)

So, anyway why do people frown more on someone who gets high on drugs rather than someone who is inebriated by alcohol if they both have the same effect? <feeling a bit philosophical at the moment>

Being intoxicated in a public place IS an offence

bubblypop wrote: »

... but not enforced it seems

So, anyway why do people frown more on someone who gets high on drugs rather than someone who is inebriated by alcohol if they both have the same effect? <feeling a bit philosophical at the moment>

Which people?
    Old people might, don't think younger people do.
    Showing your age there Andy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I like to drink weed and smoke beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Not sure you need mind-altering substances.

Really? Why is there so many pubs selling pints of mind altering substances then?

It's not actually a crime to be out of your head on any substance actually once you are not bothering anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

bubblypop wrote: »

Would you think a person would get prosecuted for simply walking out of a public house with 4 pints sloshing around in their belly?

Or would it be more likely they would get done if they were making a nuisance of themselves?

Because they read too many tabloids or listen to Joe Duffy would be my guess. One way or the other, it's basically ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

pablo128 wrote: »
    Would you think a person would get prosecuted for simply walking out of a public house with 4 pints sloshing around in their belly?

Or would it be more likely they would get done if they were making a nuisance of themselves?

Both laws exist (public drunkenness and drunk and disorderly). The police in this country rarely enforce either.

• Advertisement

... but not enforced it seems

You must not have spent my time in the district courts!
    Hundreds charged every week

Advertisement