Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victim Blaming

Options
  • 16-03-2017 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭

There's a bit of a furore over a Tweet the PSNI put out last night.

https://www.joe.ie/news/pic-psni-tweet-tells-women-not-get-raped-weekend-581690

"If you’re going out this weekend put your safety first. Don’t overindulge, stay with your friends and get home safely. #StaySafe pic.twitter.com/QBEGORCTHv

— PSNI Newry & Mourne (@PSNINewry) March 15, 2017"

There seems to be a split between whether this is sensible advice that everyone should listen to or "victim blaming."

I cannot for the life of me see how this could be considered anything close to victim blaming. It seems like a plea for all people (not just women, which seems to be what those crying victim blaming are implying) to look after themselves and their friends.

Does anybody genuinely think there's anything wrong with this Tweet?

Is this "victim blaming"? 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Where does it say in the tweet that its aimed at women? Looks like the usual Joe crap twisting it to cause outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Of course there's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Do the trolls actually want the psni to tweet the criminals? Doubt they'd listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

If you're relying on somebody else to look after you and you're not a child or disabled, you've gone fairly wrong in life.

It doesn't say anything about women or rape or sexual assaults in that tweet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Asking people to take sensible precautions isn't victim blaming it's helping people not become victims in the first place.

That's like saying that by me installing cctv and an alarm that it's my fault my neighbors house is robbed because they have neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only outrage merchants would be able to read something bad into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

There should be an additional options in the poll for yes in relation to women, but not in relation to men.

I think that tweet is highly offensive. They should instead have tweeted "please remember guys, don't rape anyone this weekend." Men have created a culture already where rape is a socially acceptable every day occurrence so even when they don't rape people themselves, they are still responsible for others who do. Women have played no part in the creation of society so are responsible for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

blue note wrote: »
    There should be an additional options in the poll for yes in relation to women, but not in relation to men.

I think that tweet is highly offensive. They should instead have tweeted "please remember guys, don't rape anyone this weekend." Men have created a culture already where rape is a socially acceptable every day occurrence so even when they don't rape people themselves, they are still responsible for others who do. Women have played no part in the creation of society so are responsible for nothing.

This falls foul of Poe's Law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭RicePat

bubblypop wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything about women or rape or sexual assaults in that tweet?

Exactly, it seems to be certain individuals and groups on the radio making this implication themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Being drunk and alone massively increases your risk of getting accidentally injured or dying.

That's basically what they're saying - don't get too drunk, stick with your mates, and don't take risks getting yourself home. Then you're less likely to be found lying face down in a canal.

Seems obvious that some idiot at Joe.ie has decided to read the tweet in one very specific way and get really annoyed about something that it doesn't actually say.

It doesn't say anything about women or rape or anything like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I can see how this could be offensive. Victims are often faced with questions about these things when reporting a rape after a night out.

"How much had you to drink?" "Why were you alone?" "Where were your friends" "Why did you go home with that guy?" "Why didn't someone walk you home?" Etc.

I don't read it that way tbh, and I think it applies to anybody but I can see why some would see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Worthy of the great Godfrey Elfwick xirself. I salute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

seamus wrote: »
    Being drunk and alone massively increases your risk of getting accidentally injured
    Maybe, but at least nobody see's you made a fool of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You'd think the ballbag that wrote this would be too embarrassed to put his name and photo to the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's like when you work in an office and the day of the Christmas or Summer party, HR send a company wide email re-iterating the company policy of a code of conduct.

They might as well say, "Please refrain from getting so **** faced that you vomit all over the receptionist. Or get so drunk that you get into a loud argument with a potted plant. Or that you think setting off the fire alarm at 4am is funny. It isn't. The only thing that will be 'fired' will be you".

Was gonna respond to this but then I realised it was a pisstake. :o Im an idiot. Still though, it's not that far off from some of the replies various news sites carrying this have gotten on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've friends both male and female who'd I'd be concerned about after a night out simply because of how drunk they get and how much of a danger they'd be to themselves ie falling over on the street or out in front of traffic or taking stupid risks. Great Tweet in my opinion. People need to look out for themselves and their friend more!

There aren't many things that drive me nuts but "victim blaming" does. I read the tweet to mean simply stay safe. How anyone can interpret more than that baffles me.

I'm not going to walk down any dark lanes wearing only a small towel or even fully clothed. Nor am I going to leave my car unlocked with a laptop and phone in full view.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

There aren't many things that drive me nuts but "victim blaming" does. I read the tweet to mean simply stay safe. How anyone can interpret more than that baffles me.

I'm not going to walk down any dark lanes wearing only a small towel or even fully clothed. Nor am I going to leave my car unlocked with a laptop and phone in full view.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

And even if you did the fault would lay 100% with the person who assaulted you or stole your property.

But as you say, that still doesn't mean you shouldn't take reasonable precautions for your own safety

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

advice directed at everyone: good

advice directed at girls: victim blaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

advice directed at everyone: good

advice directed at girls: victim blaming
    Advice directed at everyone: good
    Advice directed at girls: still good
    Advice directed at actual victims (people who have been attacked/molested/whatevered): Victim blaming. It's not helpful - the question "would it still have happened if you hadn't been so drunk/scantily clad" can't be answered and it wouldn't legitimate what happened anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    Advice directed at actual victims (people who have been attacked/molested/whatevered): Victim blaming. It's not helpful - the question "would it still have happened if you hadn't been so drunk/scantily clad" can't be answered and it wouldn't legitimate what happened anyway.

That sounds fair but is not consistent with what actually happens

Wildcard7 wrote: »

Of course not. But that's not what's happening here and not what's happening 90% of the time someone cries "victim blaming."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

RicePat wrote: »
    Of course not. But that's not what's happening here and not what's happening 90% of the time someone cries "victim blaming."
    I'm only expressing the way I see it.

The current trend of everyone being offended at everything is different cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RicePat wrote: »
    There's a bit of a furore over a Tweet the PSNI put out last night.

https://www.joe.ie/news/pic-psni-tweet-tells-women-not-get-raped-weekend-581690

"If you’re going out this weekend put your safety first. Don’t overindulge, stay with your friends and get home safely. #StaySafe pic.twitter.com/QBEGORCTHv

— PSNI Newry & Mourne (@PSNINewry) March 15, 2017"

There seems to be a split between whether this is sensible advice that everyone should listen to or "victim blaming."

I cannot for the life of me see how this could be considered anything close to victim blaming. It seems like a plea for all people (not just women, which seems to be what those crying victim blaming are implying) to look after themselves and their friends.

Does anybody genuinely think there's anything wrong with this Tweet?

since when was advice given by every parent/guardian to every son & daughter since time began victim blaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

It seems to me like wise advice. I don't get the victim blaming notion to be honest.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Joe.ie is playin' y'all for clicks yo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The only politically correct non rape culture non victim blaming message would be:
    Alcohol exists in the world. Consume it to excess. Or not. Its up to you. We dont care. Sorry we even tweeted

Is he the guy who was on the Louise O Neill show about rape culture who was talking about how bad men were?

Advertisement