Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee August 2017 intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 C0693

BobbyDaisy wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position. You'll recieve a letter claiming you are generally unsuitable if they are to fail you on it

Dont suppose you have grounds to appeal if that does happen?

Have you had to meet many people about it and have you any idea how common it is to be rejected because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

C0693 wrote: »
    Dont suppose you have grounds to appeal if that does happen?

Have you had to meet many people about it and have you any idea how common it is to be rejected because of this?

Not as far as I know. Yeah I had to go in for an extra meeting with my local inspector about it and I was asked about some family members. I heard it's seldom but if the convictions are serious you could be in trouble

Not as far as I know. Yeah I had to go in for an extra meeting with my local inspector about it and I was asked about some family members. I heard it's seldom but if the convictions are serious you could be in trouble

Had to meet the chief super myself. Seems fairly okay because of a lack of contact but remains a major worry regardless.

Had to meet the chief super myself. Seems fairly okay because of a lack of contact but remains a major worry regardless.

Exact same thing as myself. The people I was questioned about I either haven't seen since I was a child or I haven't ever met but as you said it's a major worry for me

Exact same thing as myself. The people I was questioned about I either haven't seen since I was a child or I haven't ever met but as you said it's a major worry for me

I assume you've been told the same as me all along in that anyone you've had to meet wont be the one to stop you but cant guarentee acceptance? Understandable why it happens but very hard to wait on it.

I assume you've been told the same as me all along in that anyone you've had to meet wont be the one to stop you but cant guarentee acceptance? Understandable why it happens but very hard to wait on it.

Pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wexfordgal0987

Hey guys, I've my vetting cleared and everything done bar the physical, which I should fly through as I'm fit! Will I more than likely make the August intake? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Con17

Hey guys, I've my vetting cleared and everything done bar the physical, which I should fly through as I'm fit! Will I more than likely make the August intake? Thanks

Hey,I have everything done since 2 weeks ago,but I rang up Monday and they said my vetting still going on,do you mind me asking are you from Sept section?

Con17 wrote: »
    Hey,I have everything done since 2 weeks ago,but I rang up Monday and they said my vetting still going on,do you mind me asking are you from Sept section?

I've met with super and Sargent too! Just physical left. Yeah I am, my OOM is around 600 mark

• Advertisement

I've met with super and Sargent too! Just physical left. Yeah I am, my OOM is around 600 mark

I've done all that too...spoke with the local garda station when she rang me about my ref..was told then that all the ref was fine,and she was sending it back...this was nearly a month ,maybe more ago...don't no what the hold up is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

I've done all that too...spoke with the local garda station when she rang me about my ref..was told then that all the ref was fine,and she was sending it back...this was nearly a month ,maybe more ago...don't no what the hold up is

i assume they were handing out all the offers last few weeks which kept them busy. waiting on my physical date here too and training. hopefully we make it and vetting is cleared for august. all the best guys.

ArifI wrote: »
    i assume they were handing out all the offers last few weeks which kept them busy. waiting on my physical date here too and training. hopefully we make it and vetting is cleared for august. all the best guys.

Had the physical a few weeks ago...around 40 of us there on the day.I'd say 8 people failed different stages of it so best advice I can give is do a bit of training for it, don't just wing it cause you 'think'you are fit. A few people had said they were getting higher levels like 8.1 and 7.0 when practicing at home and they failed on the day so make sure it's the proper beep test you download. Long day too so bring a bit of grub like banana etc. Was in there for about 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

Hoping to make the August intake, physical now at the end of the month and that's me !

Hoping to make the August intake, physical now at the end of the month and that's me !

What OOM are you?

What OOM are you?

Mid 200s, what about yourself?

• Advertisement

Had the physical a few weeks ago...around 40 of us there on the day.I'd say 8 people failed different stages of it so best advice I can give is do a bit of training for it, don't just wing it cause you 'think'you are fit. A few people had said they were getting higher levels like 8.1 and 7.0 when practicing at home and they failed on the day so make sure it's the proper beep test you download. Long day too so bring a bit of grub like banana etc. Was in there for about 4 hours

cheers man. better be prepared than sorry. all to serve this country. :)

all the best man.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Hey guys just came acroos the thread, have everything complete and I'm from Jan 16 campaign have no idea about my vetting as I'm too scared to call lol...Fingers and Toes crossed for August too. Great way to keep up to date any way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rubygall92

I missed the open day on the 1st for a family occasion..when is the next one ��

Rubygall92 wrote: »
    I missed the open day on the 1st for a family occasion..when is the next one ��

if I am not wrong there's one on 22nd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice? I'm from Sep 2016 campaign and have OOM of low 30's. I was deferred medically but when i rang 10 days ago they said I had satisfied the medical examiner and was cleared. But I didn't receive any email confirmation of this. Also I see that physical appointments have been sent out for end of April but I haven't been called. Just wondering is there more physicals before the end of April that I may be called to? Also pending being called for one and vetting would my OOM give me a chance for August? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice? I'm from Sep 2016 campaign and have OOM of low 30's. I was deferred medically but when i rang 10 days ago they said I had satisfied the medical examiner and was cleared. But I didn't receive any email confirmation of this. Also I see that physical appointments have been sent out for end of April but I haven't been called. Just wondering is there more physicals before the end of April that I may be called to? Also pending being called for one and vetting would my OOM give me a chance for August? Thanks in advance.

if I was you i'd call the HR, explain them the situation and ask them.

saying that regarding your OOM i think you would be one of the first to get call depending vetting is cleared. good luck man.

ArifI wrote: »
    if I was you i'd call the HR, explain them the situation and ask them.

saying that regarding your OOM i think you would be one of the first to get call depending vetting is cleared. good luck man.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply. I'll call tomorrow. I hate ringing from an annoyance point of view but just in case it's something simple that could move it on I'll be best to do it. I forgot to say that I've met Sgt and Super since February who informed me that file was heading to HQ that day so that's all positive enough. Medical deferrals are the real slow down!

When I got a medical deferral I got no email to say it had been cleared just 2 weeks later received a date for PCT test..Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

I would definitely give a call to check, all very positive and a good OOM. My daughter is in similar position and waiting for a date for retest of fitness as she failed the bleep test

Henry2006 wrote: »
    I would definitely give a call to check, all very positive and a good OOM. My daughter is in similar position and waiting for a date for retest of fitness as she failed the bleep test

Thanks for that. Hopefully she will fly the retest. Beep test is the tough one because at least u can learn sit ups and push ups. Is she training much now for it? I went from no work to lots of training over the past few months so hope to be ready! Also hoping that training for beep test outside will make it easier in indoor conditions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Thanks for that. Hopefully she will fly the retest. Beep test is the tough one because at least u can learn sit ups and push ups. Is she training much now for it? I went from no work to lots of training over the past few months so hope to be ready! Also hoping that training for beep test outside will make it easier in indoor conditions!!

Heya, I would have said training outdoors would be a help, especially since the cold in the hall on the day was a bit of a shock to the system.

That said, I would definitely train indoors now coming up to the summer months. The hall could become a sauna and present a new challenge that you might not be prepared for, if solely training outdoors. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Heya, I would have said training outdoors would be a help, especially since the cold in the hall on the day was a bit of a shock to the system.

That said, I would definitely train indoors now coming up to the summer months. The hall could become a sauna and present a new challenge that you might not be prepared for, if solely training outdoors. Best of luck with it.

I trained outdoors all the time (I was 8.1) and when I did a test indoors I could easily reach 9.1. I think the outside conditions like wind, rain and uneven surface prepare you legs better for the actual day where none of the above are present. Go for outdoors and maybe test yourself in the gym couple days before and shall fly thru it ;-)

vodkacz wrote: »
    I trained outdoors all the time (I was 8.1) and when I did a test indoors I could easily reach 9.1. I think the outside conditions like wind, rain and uneven surface prepare you legs better for the actual day where none of the above are present. Go for outdoors and maybe test yourself in the gym couple days before and shall fly thru it ;-)

Couldn't agree more with that, training outdoors is brilliant. Was hitting 8.2/3 outdoors and gave it a go in my local sports hall, made 9.2 easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chriskav11

Hi i passed the interview for the gardai but i haven't got ordinary level Irish for the leaving can anyone let me no will i be called for an exam or what will happen

• Advertisement

Yeah she is training outdoors now, she only missed it by 4 shuffles so was pretty close. Did you ring them yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Yeah she is training outdoors now, she only missed it by 4 shuffles so was pretty close. Did you ring them yet ?

Lads, just make sure you practice indoors too. I had my open day in the hall last June and even with the doors open it was a sweat box. There will be some difference running outside in the cool air to a stuffy overheated indoor sports hall.

Anyone doing the physical now outdoor training is great but for June, July, August I'd definitely be training indoors at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ivandrago2008

I would advise people to only practice the bleep maybe every 2 weeks. Do Interval training mostly. Members of athletic clubs always do interval training to improve their 5km and 10km times. They don't just keep practicing runnning 5km and 10km. Only do the bleep test as a gauge of where your fitness lies. Don't make it your primary workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Emer29

I passed the physical yesterday. I found the bleep test very manageable because I had done a lot of training for it. We had about a 90 min break and then back in. I started to feel a bit tired waiting around and was quite stuffy. Got through the obstacle course but just be ready for the push pull straight away at the end of the three laps.

The waiting starts again now. Doubt I'll be offered May at this stage. Realistically I'd say it will be Aug... fingers crossed! :-)

Emer29 wrote: »
    I passed the physical yesterday. I found the bleep test very manageable because I had done a lot of training for it. We had about a 90 min break and then back in. I started to feel a bit tired waiting around and was quite stuffy. Got through the obstacle course but just be ready for the push pull straight away at the end of the three laps.

The waiting starts again now. Doubt I'll be offered May at this stage. Realistically I'd say it will be Aug... fingers crossed! :-)

Well done, a big relief I'm sure

Hi. Yes I rang yesterday. Waste of time really. I'd have a high tolerance for bad telephone manners but I was less than impressed yesterday. They wouldn't even take the name to check it and basically said it must be ok and to wait and see!

Emer29 wrote: »

Well done. Did you do interval training to prepare? Can I ask if your sept 16 campaign?
    In relation to May intake you never know with deferrals etc!

Hi. Yes I rang yesterday. Waste of time really. I'd have a high tolerance for bad telephone manners but I was less than impressed yesterday. They wouldn't even take the name to check it and basically said it must be ok and to wait and see!

That's a pity, it's very much hit and miss as to who you get on the call. Some are very helpful and others are completely rude. Maybe follow up via email ?

Well done. Did you do interval training to prepare? Can I ask if your sept 16 campaign? In relation to May intake you never know with deferrals etc!

I was doing a lot of circuit training and weights in the gym and doing 5km runs too. That definitely worked for me because I wasn't very fit before starting the training. I was training 5 days a week since January so it just paid off.

Yeah I'm from Sept 16 campaign. Oom in 50's. My vetting file was sent back to HRM few weeks ago so hopefully that's all done. I emailed them but no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Lorraine_93

I'm from Jan 2016 campaign and vetting began in July 2016 ... Still waiting. So for those hoping vetting only takes a few weeks be prepared for a long wait :(

I'm from Jan 2016 campaign and vetting began in July 2016 ... Still waiting. So for those hoping vetting only takes a few weeks be prepared for a long wait :(

I feel your pain my vetting began in August and I'm still waiting also it's so frustrating

I feel your pain my vetting began in August and I'm still waiting also it's so frustrating

At least I know I'm not alone 😂 I was feeling like the only one for a while ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ivandrago2008

At least I know I'm not alone 😂 I was feeling like the only one for a while ðŸ˜

Do either of you know what is causing such a long delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Newgirl17

Also from Jan 2016 and vetting ongoing since last year. It's a long wait.

Do either of you know what is causing such a long delay?

No , anytime I ring I'm told its still outstanding. 3 weeks ago I got a nice lady on the phone and she told me that it was sent to be signed off and I should know in a few days. A follow up phone call a woman told me still waiting on one report, and was told they will contact me when its complete.

• Advertisement

No , anytime I ring I'm told its still outstanding. 3 weeks ago I got a nice lady on the phone and she told me that it was sent to be signed off and I should know in a few days. A follow up phone call a woman told me still waiting on one report, and was told they will contact me when its complete.

I didn't think you got any notification that vetting is complete or not, ive emailed twice and no reply I'm assuming mine is complete!!!

Marksy8429 wrote: »
    I didn't think you got any notification that vetting is complete or not, ive emailed twice and no reply I'm assuming mine is complete!!!

Yeah from reading the boards I don't think they contact you. If I was you I would give them a ring if they're not emailing back.

Yeah from reading the boards I don't think they contact you. If I was you I would give them a ring if they're not emailing back.

Thanks Lorraine_93 think I will it would be great just to know that I'm ready to go...Ive no patience :D:D

Marksy8429 wrote:

What email address did you contact them on? I want to check on my vetting too.

Marksy8429 wrote: »
    Thanks Lorraine_93 think I will it would be great just to know that I'm ready to go...Ive no patience :D:D

I ring this number
    016662571 I think that's right one anyway ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
Advertisement