Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a TV to Lidl

Options
  • 14-03-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I purchased a 32" Toshiba in Lidl in Dec 2014 and assume that they still provide a three year warranty on electrical items. The TV stopped working recently. I have a receipt for proof of purchase but just need to know if I should return the item to the Lidl store or is the warranty with Toshiba.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,639 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Return to the LIDL store. Not sure what outcome will be, unlikely they can get that same model again so they may offer to repair it or else refund the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Logo

Return to the LIDL store. Not sure what outcome will be, unlikely they can get that same model again so they may offer to repair it or else refund the money.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't really have a problem with a repair or refund so I will return the TV to the Lidl store tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

Logo wrote: »
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't really have a problem with a repair or refund so I will return the TV to the Lidl store tomorrow.

You always have to go back to store not manufacturer.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You could give their CS a ring on 1800 201080 to see what the correct procedure is. For some products (own brands), they arrange uplift of goods for inspection and repair/replacement. Not sure what the deal is for branded goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

byte wrote: »
    You could give their CS a ring on 1800 201080 to see what the correct procedure is. For some products (own brands), they arrange uplift of goods for inspection and repair/replacement. Not sure what the deal is for branded goods.

Just what I was thinking. I've only seen Lidl own brand stuff with a 3 year guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

my3cents wrote: »
    Just what I was thinking. I've only seen Lidl own brand stuff with a 3 year guarantee.
    It could depend on what deal they have with various outside manufacturers.

Most of their own stuff is handled, it seems, by a company called Kompernass. Quite efficient, they are too. Workmate had a cordless drill that went faulty, was told to box it without accessories, just the drill. Just over a week later, a new drill with ALL accessories came back. So now he has a spare charger and battery - not bad!

Worst case scenario, Sales of Goods Act could come into play, as product died prematurely

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WHL

I went back to Lidl tonight with a weather station that stopped working. It is five months old. They said that you can only return to the store within 60 days so I need to ring the Customer Service number listed above. I'll do that tomorrow

byte wrote: »
    It could depend on what deal they have with various outside manufacturers.
    Worst case scenario, Sales of Goods Act could come into play, as product died prematurely

Do I have a leg to stand on if the Sales of Goods Act comes into play? And why would Lidl advertise a three year warranty on electrical items?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Check any Lidl documents that came with it for their warranty info. You'll prob end up calling Koppernass who are lovely to deal with. I had different faulty electrical stuff from Lidl and ended up with brand new, and some of the things (kettle and toaster) I was told to send to local recycling so no hassle with sending back. But for a branded TV, you'll prob end up with a courier collecting it first.

I have a receipt for proof of purchase .
    At least I thought I had! The TV was paid with credit card so I assume that this is an acceptable proof of purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,329 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My brother had an electrical garden item that broke. We brought it back to the store they said call customer support because it was more than sixty days.
    We did this. I think we had to email them a picture of the receipt and they said they might pick up the old item. They never did. They just delivered a new one to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At least I thought I had! The TV was paid with credit card so I assume that this is an acceptable proof of purchase?

Yes, it should be fine.

I'd recommend to ring Customer Service first, so as to avoid lugging the TV to the store, unless you have to.

I contacted Lidl Customer Service number and they couldn't find a reference to the serial number so passed me onto the local store. I was told that the store warranty is one year and the supplier warranty is two years... so I'm out of luck:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lidl are really good to deal with.

I bought an electric hedge cutter.

Unboxed it and used it. Little fella spilled a glass of water on it the next day. I put it back in the box and returned it saying it never worked out of the box.

Money back no questions asked.

Excellent service.

Excellent service.
    I thought Lidl had a three year returns policy on electrical items and am a bit pissed off to be honest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,329 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought Lidl had a three year returns policy on electrical items and am a bit pissed off to be honest :(

I'd ring the customer service number again and explain what happened!

You could chance your arm with the store? Stranger things have happened in LIDL. Whats the worst they can say?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I contacted Lidl Customer Service number and they couldn't find a reference to the serial number so passed me onto the local store. I was told that the store warranty is one year and the supplier warranty is two years... so I'm out of luck:(

You still have the sale of goods and services act.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You still have the sale of goods and services act.
    I'm not sure what this act entitles me to but I expect it doesn't provide much cover for a faulty TV after 2.3 years. I bought the TV in Lidl thinking that I had a three year electrical guarantee - was I dreaming?

Sorry, but that's b*llocks. Warranties and guarantees are in addition to your consumer rights and cannot supersede them. You are entitled to expect a TV to last a reasonable lifetime, depending on the quality of the item and assuming no misuse on your part. Modern TVs don't last as long as the old CRT versions, but I'd still expect about 5 years (my opinion, others may vary).

Tell them that you want to get this replaced, repaired or refunded in line with your consumer rights. If they do not work with you on this, inform them via registered letter that you will proceed with a Small Claims Court.

Bear in mind that you've had over 2 years use of the TV, so that depreciation will have to be accounted for.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Tell them that you want to get this replaced, repaired or refunded in line with your consumer rights.

I would be really happy with a repair or replacement. BTW I've googled my consumer rights but I'm still confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I would be really happy with a repair or replacement. BTW I've googled my consumer rights but I'm still confused...

You go back to the vendor and say that the item you bought is faulty and you'd like it rectified as is your rights under the sale of goods act. You will be then be offered a refund, repair or replacement its up to you and the vendor to decide which option is taken. If repaired it has to be permanent.

Del2005 wrote: »
    ... as is your rights under the sale of goods act.

What exact paragraph in the sales of goods act do I quote when asked?

What exact paragraph in the sales of goods act do I quote when asked?

You shouldn't need to go that far. Just reference the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980. According to the Consumer Association of Ireland website...
    Know your Rights

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

-of merchantable quality
    -fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    -as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.

Thanks for your help. Talking to the local store person earlier it sounded like an open and shut case i.e. the store warranty is one year and the supplier warranty is two years... My local Lidl is a few miles away so I'll try to return the TV over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks for your help. Talking to the local store person earlier it sounded like an open and shut case i.e. the store warranty is one year and the supplier warranty is two years... My local Lidl is a few miles away so I'll try to return the TV over the next few days.

I suspect the local store won't want to know. You might be better talking to customer service by email. If customer service won't help then you can just use the email as proof they won't help and as a bases for starting a Small Claims Case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

bought a silvercrest 32 inch tv it stated 3 year guarantee stopped working bought back to lidl were i bought it they said they cant take it back as its over a year old lidl ring customer care and they will sort it out.. customer care said sent to a address in scotland for repair wat a laugh they will pay for the courier if the fault is the tv if the fault that i caused i will have to pay the courier there all ways a catch to 3 year guarantee if u buying a tv go to powercity were thety are dealing with tv.s everday lidl has them one day and thats it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bought an electric hedge cutter.

Unboxed it and used it. Little fella spilled a glass of water on it the next day. I put it back in the box and returned it saying it never worked out of the box.

Money back no questions asked.

Excellent service.

And fraud, on your part.

The more abuse of returns policies, the less generous they become.

L1011 wrote: »
    And fraud, on your part.

The more abuse of returns policies, the less generous they become.

Sorry your spot on.

I'll head back over tonight, come clean and return the 50 quid to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Think Lidls 3 year warranty is for their own products only - as it was for a branded tv the warranty would be different. Hopefully you'll get it sorted OP - their customer service is normally great.

Advertisement