Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a teacher question a student without parent's permission?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Glenster wrote: »
    If fairness you don't know sh*t about what happened.
    And blaming the nipper instantly is bullsh*t, literally anything could've happened.

I don't care what happened, if there was a breach of discpline he teacher should be able to question the kid and take his phone. Many schools have a no phone policy to start with.

What if your kid was on the recieving end of the issue? Should they have to sit suffering while the principal gets consent forms signed? Get a grip.

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you hand your children over to the care of someone else for 7 hours a day you accept that the people in charge are in charge. If you don't want anyone chastising or disciplining your child when needed, then home-school them. And don't ever send them to extra curricular activities.

I'm not a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

canonball5 wrote:
    As I said OP, you're completely wasting your time asking this question in here. NOBODY should be allowed to interrogate your child without you present. If the Gardai wouldn't do it without you there why the hell does an egotistical teacher think they have the right.

Jesus, someone had a bad time in school to have such a chip on their shoulder.

Are you seriously equating a Garda investigation with a teacher trying to get to the bottom of an incident in school? If parents have to be called in every time Mary is caught smoking or Johnny's hadn't done his homework, there would be no time for anyone to get taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

canonball5 wrote: »
    As I said OP, you're completely wasting your time asking this question in here. NOBODY should be allowed to interrogate your child without you present. If the Gardai wouldn't do it without you there why the hell does an egotistical teacher think they have the right.

If your child did wrong, I am sure they're aware of this and you need to ensure it won't happen again.

Its parenting like this that causes so many anti-social problems in our youth today.
    There really should be a license to have a child.

Sending your kid to as school is giving the teacher the authority in advance to manage your child , hence no permission required , it was already given.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Its parenting like this that causes so many anti-social problems in our youth today.
    There really should be a license to have a child.

Sending your kid to as school is giving the teacher the authority in advance to manage your child , hence no permission required , it was already given.

You're not there to '' manage '' my child. You're there to educate my child!!

My child has no issues in school as her teacher respects her and treats her like a child should be, with dignity and respect.

Maybe more time should be spent in positive reinforcement rather than the current code of discipline.

And what about children who are there because they have to be not because they want to be educated. Years ago if a child didn't want to continue education, they left. Now, there are still children who have no interest in continuing education but they are forced to attend. So they show up, and do everything bar learn. What if those children were interfering with your child's education? What if they were physically interfering with your child? A teacher doesn't want to spend their class time sorting out other people's children. They'd rather educate. But educating a class of varying abilities and interest isn't as simple as just standing there teaching them.

The huge majority of children will go through school without ever causing an issue for teachers or their peers. There will always be a section that don't care about their or anyone else's education, or even the physical well being of others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Barney224 wrote: »
    You've no idea what this is about, so please don't judge my son without any facts. I never said what they did was right. I was just angry with how it was all dealt with me and I got a lot of miscommunication.

It's easier to focus on the way your son's bad behaviour was dealt with at school then deal with the bad behaviour.
    When this crisis has abated, you could write to the principal and state how disappointed you were that another child's parents were apparently treated differently, but none of that is going to change the fact that your son has been suspended and is facing expulsion, an extremely serious situation with possibly detrimental consequences.
    I'm puzzled as to why your making this your priority and not the welfare of your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

This is the modern era, it is ludicrous to compare schools from the past to now and disrespectful to those who work there.
    You seem to have a grudge against teachers.

I am a teacher and our working day has completely changed to cater for the holistic well being of the student. I have the authority to challenge a students behaviour when in the wrong. Report odd behaviour, question it. I can set detention, hold a student back or out of my class for messing.

We are given that right, thankfully i rarely experience problems, my students are great.

To merely say "teachers are just there to educate" canon, is insulting. My job title has become so much more and im glad, tired but glad. Its rewarding.

Op, your son is in the wrong. He was segregated along with the others because the story needs to be straight and if a written statement was needed, it must be serious. You are approaching it as if they are in the wrong. The school is being clear cut and professional by formally documenting everything

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

canonball5 wrote:
    Maybe more time should be spent in positive reinforcement rather than the current code of discipline.

What current code of discipline? When a child acts up, its addressed and there is a consequence, should we congratulate them and reward them. Teach 30 students in a class, nine classes a day and then come back to me with your new code of discipline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm afraid you are very ignorant about education if you think you can do one without the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

canonball5 wrote:

Can people stop referring to an interrogation. The OP replaced the more correct word "question" with this as if the child was sent to Guantanimo and made to wear an orange jumpsuit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary SEN teacher here. Has your child an official diagnosis and have you communicated it to the school?
    The school is trying to get to the truth of the matter, of course they will need to speak to the children on an individual basis.

Unless the school has breached the disciplinary policy to which you have agreed to by sending your child to that school, they do not have a case to answer.

I think you need to get the truth from your son and then work with the school for the best possible outcome for him , not to oppose them on half-information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I went to a talk by Dr Fergus Heffernan last week. Very interesting family clinical Psychologist

He said the generation we have just rared are in serious trouble, they've never been let make their own mistakes, be accountable for these mistakes and learn from these mistakes. Its always someone else fault. The end result is kids are unable to cope when they reach the real world.

I was suspended once, caught mitching with a few other lads, I can tell you it wasn't the bollocking I got while being 'interrogated' by the teachers that my father was concerned about
    I have been fortunate enough to hear Dr. Heffernan on a number of occasions. He is hilarious, though the story of his own son'd struggle is harrowing. Every person dealing with young people shoiud be made to attend one of his talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Bottom line-play it cool. You should be informed if he was suspended and why. Schools are not police stations. We dont have to send a file to DPP. Natural justice should occur but ultimately a Principal has to call it. Has he been threatened with expulsion?

I hope the situation is resolved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Barney224 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am certainly dealing with the situation directly with my son and am extremely angry with him for putting me through everything.

And maybe I am lashing out at others and looking for excuses, but I'm disappointed with how it was all handled. He was a "part" of the situation and not the main ring leader, but he's now been tarred with the same brush as everyone else and could be expelled on this basis. When I met with the principal I wasn't given any indication that this could lead to expulsion and that, as he was not a main ring leader, he would most likely get away with a suspension. Now this has all changed which is why I'm disappointed with the school.
    A real whiff of my little angel could do no wrong about this.
    Whatever happened he was clearly involved and it must be serious if expulsion is on the cards. If he`s telling you "the bigger boys made me do it". Take it with a pinch of salt.
    Your primary concern is your sons misbehaviour not some perceived procedural irregularity from the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

With the amount of teachers responding to this thread in such a negative way, it's really alarming. If you don't like your job that much, then leave it!! You signed up to educate and not police kids.

You guys really should be thankful for what you have and respect the people trusted to be in your care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Im heartened that you are in a minority of one in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

With the amount of teachers responding to this thread in such a negative way, it's really alarming. If you don't like your job that much, then leave it!! You signed up to educate and not police kids.

You guys really should be thankful for what you have and respect the people trusted to be in your care.

ONE person has said they are a teacher. I think you need to open your eyes and see that you are the only one on this thread who thinks the school did wrong. You're entitled to your opinion and no-one is telling you that you are wrong, so don't be telling us we are wrong! Our opinion is the school did right here.

I am not a teacher, never will be a teacher and don't even know anyone who is a teacher so my opinion here is based on what I personally experienced in my own school. And in my own school, yes students were questioned without parents consent!

I thought respect was supposed to be a two way thing? These are secondary school children, so old enough to know how they would be expected to behave and old enough to know that they should respect the people and the place where they want to be educated. Assuming they all in fact do want to be educated. Shortly they'll be heading to college, where they absolutely will be expected to behave in a certain way and show respect to lecturers and students alike.

Teachers aren't robots, thankfully, and don't just walk in, teach and go home. And I'd imagine if there are some who do, there would be complaints of them ignoring the individual needs of students.

I'm not a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Kids expect to be treated like individuals these days and we do our best to accommodate that but in a class of 25 plus and 7-9 classes a day you are going to have to be direct at times or even rude. Some kids cant take that. Most can. A lot of self centered kids out there but the vast vast majority do their best to get on with you so long as they know you are fair .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My child has no issues in school as her teacher respects her and treats her like a child should be, with dignity and respect.

So you would have an issue if a teacher decided to take your child's phone from her?

And by the way, where do you get the idea that everyone in here is a teacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Perhaps you should respect and trust the people who take care of your children.

No, I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Jesus, this thread is going round and round in circles!

Advertisement