Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a teacher question a student without parent's permission?

• 13-03-2017 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Looking for some advice here.

My son, who is currently suspended, along with a number of other students was interrogated by the principal, had his phone taken off him and they were all separated in different rooms. he was told to write out a number of statements. I don't want to discuss the reason for suspension here, but just wanted to know does the principal have the right to interrogate my son and get him to write statements without my prior consent?

I was also told to come to the school to discuss the issue, but was never told over the phone what it was about or that he was even being suspended! I just felt it was all dealt in a very unprofessional manner. There is now a possibility that he could be expelled, but I want to know what my rights are at this time.

Also, a parent of one of the other students called to say that she was contacted prior to her son being questioned and given all the facts about the issue and was asked if she would give her consent to him being questioned!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They should have a code of conduct so get a copy , there might be something in there about how their disciplinary procedures work. Your language is a bit hyperbolic "interrogated by the principal" so you should dial it down in any correspondence with the school in case it works against you.
    My guess is that if its about behaviour in school but not something with any legal consequences than sure they can talk to your son in the first instance without seeking your permission but at the same time you should be annoyed if other parents and kids were being treated differently and given more courtesy.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Barney224 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here.

My son, who is currently suspended, along with a number of other students was interrogated by the principal, had his phone taken off him and they were all separated in different rooms. he was told to write out a number of statements. I don't want to discuss the reason for suspension here, but just wanted to know does the principal have the right to interrogate my son and get him to write statements without my prior consent?

I was also told to come to the school to discuss the issue, but was never told over the phone what it was about or that he was even being suspended! I just felt it was all dealt in a very unprofessional manner. There is now a possibility that he could be expelled, but I want to know what my rights are at this time.

Also, a parent of one of the other students called to say that she was contacted prior to her son being questioned and given all the facts about the issue and was asked if she would give her consent to him being questioned!

Why not?

You've been watching too many cop shows I think. Your rhetoric would seem to indicate that to me anyway.

You weren't told over the phone what had happened!?

Talk about focusing on the wrong issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Suspended, possible expulsion? Sound like lovely lads, what about the rest of the class? the ones that do want to learn and behave?
    Get the root of the problem sorted. Sounds to me like you are just focusing on how the situation was handled instead of the situation itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Suspended, possible expulsion? Sound like lovely lads, what about the rest of the class? the ones that do want to learn and behave?
    Get the root of the problem sorted. Sounds to me like you are just focusing on how the situation was handled instead of the situation itself.

You've no idea what this is about, so please don't judge my son without any facts. I never said what they did was right. I was just angry with how it was all dealt with me and I got a lot of miscommunication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Should you not deal with the issue that caused this with your son in the first place and then go and deal with the issue of how it was dealt with?

It looks more like you care how it was dealt with, than what your son did. That's how it looks. Words like interrogation and other parents being fully informed but you were not. It does seem like a right mess.

The way to deal with it, is sort out the problem first. Get that sorted and then in a nice calm way, have a chat with the principal about procedures and what went wrong with the schools policy here.

• Advertisement

You've no idea what this is about, so please don't judge my son without any facts. I never said what they did was wrong. I was just angry with how it was all dealt with me and I got a lot of miscommunication.

I'm not judging anyone, I couldn't give a sh.ite if he is suspended or expelled. my reply was to what you said in your post and you have just verified what I said. You are looking to find fault with the principal and how the situation was handled. If he did nothing wrong he wouldn't be suspended and facing expulsion.
    I (if i were you) would be more concerned about how and why you are now in this situation, no matter what angle you come at it, you are there because of your son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Yawns wrote: »
    Should you not deal with the issue that caused this with your son in the first place and then go and deal with the issue of how it was dealt with?

It looks more like you care how it was dealt with, than what your son did. That's how it looks. Words like interrogation and other parents being fully informed but you were not. It does seem like a right mess.

The way to deal with it, is sort out the problem first. Get that sorted and then in a nice calm way, have a chat with the principal about procedures and what went wrong with the schools policy here.
    Yes, sort out your child first. Sorting out a schools MO or any grievance you may have is minor. Don't worry about the school too much. If your childs behaviour warranted a suspension, then try not to teach him its not fully his responsibility. If he was treated unfairly, the bring the matter to the principal or Board over the school if you have to. Been there so many times with schools. While it will benefit you and your childs future treatment by the school to confront them on any matters you feel were inappropriate, don't expect things to change too much. Engage with the school and use them as your tool, do not fight and put up walls, no matter how useful/useless they may be.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am certainly dealing with the situation directly with my son and am extremely angry with him for putting me through everything.

And maybe I am lashing out at others and looking for excuses, but I'm disappointed with how it was all handled. He was a "part" of the situation and not the main ring leader, but he's now been tarred with the same brush as everyone else and could be expelled on this basis. When I met with the principal I wasn't given any indication that this could lead to expulsion and that, as he was not a main ring leader, he would most likely get away with a suspension. Now this has all changed which is why I'm disappointed with the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i dont know what he did and like others i dont really care, but to be in line for expulsion means its very very serious bad behavior.
    your concern on finding out to to question the way it was handled by the school. passing the buck,looking for someone else to blame, focusing on minor irrelevant issues to the actual one in hand.
    setting an example that its always somebody elses fault and even if it obviously is not focusing on anything else or anyone else to blame for anything you can.

what a great example for a teenager that is already behaving in an unacceptable manner.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am certainly dealing with the situation directly with my son and am extremely angry with him for putting me through everything.

And maybe I am lashing out at others and looking for excuses, but I'm disappointed with how it was all handled. He was a "part" of the situation and not the main ring leader, but he's now been tarred with the same brush as everyone else and could be expelled on this basis. When I met with the principal I wasn't given any indication that this could lead to expulsion and that, as he was not a main ring leader, he would most likely get away with a suspension. Now this has all changed which is why I'm disappointed with the school.

Most of us have kids and believe me I've been to the principals office a few times over the years with mine. I was not having a go at you or your son, just doing what you asked (looking for advice), You look like you are focusing on the issue now, but don't let yourself get bogged down with the handling of the situation. Just stay focused on sorting your son out and making him realise the severity of the situation he has put you and himself in (the school issue will run it's course), just try to stay focused and not get angry in your communications with them (school).

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I am certainly dealing with the situation directly with my son and am extremely angry with him for putting me through everything.

And maybe I am lashing out at others and looking for excuses, but I'm disappointed with how it was all handled. He was a "part" of the situation and not the main ring leader, but he's now been tarred with the same brush as everyone else and could be expelled on this basis.  When I met with the principal I wasn't given any indication that this could lead to expulsion and that, as he was not a main ring leader, he would most likely get away with a suspension. Now this has all changed which is why I'm disappointed with the school.
    Ring leader or minion is irrelevant. Engaging, discussing, remedying and monitoring is what you need to focus on with your child. If he was a minion, why didn't he show better judgement etc.. Teach him/her to spot right/wrong and align behaviour in a proper, mature way. At the end of the day, it will be an invaluable life lesson, and show him/her that with work and correction, the child can recover and move forward. At the risk of sounding cliche'd or stupid, it really is a great opportunity for development. Use it and communicate it as best you can.

I remember situations like this in school and it was near guaranteed that every parent saw other kids and not their own as the 'ringleaders' :)

Not that I'm saying that this is the case here but it's a strange phenomena.

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    Ring leader or minion is irrelevant. Engaging, discussing, remedying and monitoring is what you need to focus on with your child. If he was a minion, why didn't he show better judgement etc.. Teach him/her to spot right/wrong and align behaviour in a proper, mature way. At the end of the day, it will be an invaluable life lesson, and show him/her that with work and correction, the child can recover and move forward. At the risk of sounding cliche'd or stupid, it really is a great opportunity for development. Use it and communicate it as best you can.

Indeed - great advice. Seeking to take down the messenger or the mechanics will teach him nothing.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Indeed - great advice. Seeking to take down the messenger or the mechanics will teach him nothing.

I totally agree, and as I said, maybe I am looking for excuses. He really likes the school and was doing really well both socially and academically so I'm just desperate to try and keep in there, otherwise I'm concerned for his welfare if we try to transition him to another school. He has ADHD which can be quite debilitating for him, so he's not the best person to make sound judgements or decisions. As some of you have intimated, he's not a bad kid overall, but just makes some stupid decisions. He's never been in serious trouble before so I want to do everyting I can to keep him on the straight and narrow. I think expulsion is not going to help him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I got suspended about 3 times in my school days and each time my parents were only called AFTER myself and my friends got separated and "interrogated". Each suspension was for smoking in the school grounds so it doesn't sound as serious as your sons situation. But yes, each time it was handled the same way your sons was. I don't think the school has done anything wrong here.

I would say to the school that if it happens again (which you would hope it doesn't) that you want to be called before the principle speaks to your son but honestly, what difference does it make if you were told? Your son would have still been "interrogated" and still would have been suspended so you could be fighting a battle that's not even worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The principal did not discuss it with you over the phone, which would be the correct procedure. You could have been 'anybody' on the other end of a phone call and if it is as serious as you make it out, then the principal took the correct action and acted professionally.

From reading your posts, you appear to be focusing your anger at the school/principal, when as other posters have said already, you should be focusing on your child and their own behaviour.

Make sure you actively engage with the school regarding this issue!

best of luck OP.

I was also told to come to the school to discuss the issue, but was never told over the phone what it was about or that he was even being suspended! I just felt it was all dealt in a very unprofessional manner.

I totally agree, and as I said, maybe I am looking for excuses. He really likes the school and was doing really well both socially and academically so I'm just desperate to try and keep in there, otherwise I'm concerned for his welfare if we try to transition him to another school. He has ADHD which can be quite debilitating for him, so he's not the best person to make sound judgements or decisions. As some of you have intimated, he's not a bad kid overall, but just makes some stupid decisions. He's never been in serious trouble before so I want to do everyting I can to keep him on the straight and narrow. I think expulsion is not going to help him at all.

Well you need to do your utmost to show the school that you are proactively dealing with this in the right and correct way. Not that you are on the school's side or anything like that but that you see this as an opportunity for your son to learn and that you will work with the school to make sure he does just that. Fighting with them about 'procedure' is a cul-de-sac that will achieve zilch. Put forward the points that he's doing well socially and academically and that you believe that that should stand to him. There are few boys in this world that didn't hit a few road bumps on their way through school.

I certainly did.

My parents were constantly firefighting. You need to 'box clever' as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

school-then-vs-now_o_650199.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Ashbx wrote: »
    I would say to the school that if it happens again (which you would hope it doesn't) that you want to be called before the principle speaks to your son

Can't see a principal accepting this 'suggestion' from a parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The basic rule here is that a school stands in loco parentis - meaning that a school can deal with a pupil any way that a parent can deal with a child. Note that this doesn't mean that the school must do what the particular parents of this particular child would do; it can do what parents generally can do.

Overlaying this would be any specific Education legislation or Dept of Education rules, e.g., forbidding corporal punishment, barring discrimination on the prohibited grounds, etc.

Can the school "interrogate" a pupil? "interrogate" is just a fancy word for "ask questions"; yes, a school can ask a pupil questions. And, yes, this can be part of an enquiry into a disciplinary matter. If there are any rules which require schools to involve parents at all stages of the disciplinary process, and so not to "interrogate" without first talking to the parents, I don't know of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,846 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's hard enough to get expelled from school in my opinion. Their might be only trying to scare ye. The incidents I can think of that would involve an expulsion the Gardai would generally be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

It's hard enough to get expelled from school in my opinion. Their might be only trying to scare ye. The incidents I can think of that would involve an expulsion the Gardai would generally be involved.
    In all dealings Ive had with schools, They will always threaten apocalyptic punishments as some sort of authoritative measure. If you work with the school and focus on the child and concern for development, the school will work with you, everytime (If there is no history and the incident is not completely crazy.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    That's because in the US (public) schools are emanation of the state. In Ireland, schools act on behalf of, and derive their authority from, parents. And, just as parents can confiscate a mobile phone or "ground" a child, so schools can confiscate contraband, impose detentions, etc.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If the school were to call a parent every time before it were to question a child on what happened in a particular incident nothing would ever get done! At what point do you say a teacher shouldn't speak to the child before first clearing it with the parent? If the school had rang you and asked your permission would you have given it?

Separating the culprits and asking them their version is very sensible and common. It means the boys don't have time to get together and come up with a story. Getting them to write down what happened is also helpful because often people can 'forget' or versions can change and get added to/taken away from.

You don't know for certain any other parents were contacted first. People have been known to just outright fabricate things when put on the spot. Your son wasn't interrogated. He was part of a serious incident in school and he was afterwards asked to give his version. The teacher asking him may not have been too easy on him, depending on the level of severity of what they did and might have made it perfectly clear that their behaviour was unacceptable. Again, perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

OP, you're wasting your time posting something like this here as many of the replies will be by teachers in my opinion. There is no way they will do anything but defend the actions of the teachers in this situation. You're absolutely right to be annoyed with the school with what happened. I would never allow my child to be interrogated by an adult and certainly not by a teacher who is trusted to educate and not police or parent on your behalf, let alone take his / her private property off them.

We have all been through an Irish education system and know exactly what goes on in schools. I would be furious about not been told why they were calling you up to meet with them, whilst they have all the ''facts''.

lawred2 wrote: »

I totally agree, and as I said, maybe I am looking for excuses.  He really likes the school and was doing really well both socially and academically so I'm just desperate to try and keep in there, otherwise I'm concerned for his welfare if we try to transition him to another school. He has ADHD which can be quite debilitating for him, so he's not the best person to make sound judgements or decisions.  As some of you have intimated, he's not a bad kid overall, but just makes some stupid decisions. He's never been in serious trouble before so I want to do everyting I can to keep him on the straight and narrow. I think expulsion is not going to help him at all.
    Make sure and 'positively reinforce' (I near puke every time I say that). Make sure you assure him and remind him of his good behaviour throughout this process. Don't make my mistake of using fear of mistake/failure as a motivator. Desire to succeed is a much better motivator and WAY better for self esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It is almost impossible to have a child expelled in this country without the acceptance of the parents. A parent can just say no if the school wants to expel a child and the school has an incredibly tough battle to get the child out. There have been cases where the principal tells the parent "your child is expelled" and the parent accepts that so it happens, but other than that it is much easier to convict a murderer than have a child expelled from school.

For a child to be expelled without the parent's assistance there needs to be a serious crime such as sexual assault, taking or sharing nudes of other students or repeated violence. One fight or one incident of bullying won't get a child expelled.

I know of students involved in multiple cases of theft from the school and other students, 20+ large fights, daily class disruptions and the school still couldn't get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

You mention that your son has ADHD. Is this your belief or an actual diagnosis? If your son has an actual diagnosis of ADHD, then you should contact your son's care providers. Ask to speak with a social worker. Ask them for advice. They will have a familiarity with situations like that.

Is your son over or under 16? If your son is over 16 years of age and has completed 4 years of post-primary education, then there is no further requirement for your son to remain in education. This means that should he be expelled, then you have far less supports or options available to you. If on the other hand your son is under the age of 16, and is expelled, there is an obligation on others to find your son a place in a school. Any school. Not necessarily one you would like to send your son to. But a school. Where he will be obliged to attend.

Because we don't know what your son has done, it is not easy to reassure you / scare you. However if what happened involved other students (as opposed to property or smoking or an escape bid) then the interests of your child cannot take precedent over the interests of more than one other child. So, for example, if your child was involved in a serious bullying or assault incident then, if it is in the best interest of other children for your child to be expelled, even if it is in the best interests of your child to stay in that school, then your child can be expelled.

Regardless of what your son did, you need to be able to into that school and reassure them that you will be working with them to ensure that you will climb mountains and swim seas to ensure that your son will not step out of line again.

The Board of Management and the School Code of Conduct are the school equivalent of Judiciary and Laws. The Principal is only the agent of the Board of Management. However Board of Management meetings can and are called at short notice to deal with very serious incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

He's never been in serious trouble before so I want to do everyting I can to keep him on the straight and narrow. I think expulsion is not going to help him at all.

The best thing you could possibly do for him is stand united with the school to hammer home to him that he was completely out of line and that the school dealt with him in the best way they could. If you try to go against the school and maybe somehow make an issue of that, rather than what he did he won't learn much. Other than if he makes bad decisions in future it'll be grand because you will swoop in and have a go at whoever tried to sort it out.

Concentrate on teaching him better judgement. He's in secondary school. Not sure what age, but not long before he has to start making his own way in the adult world. You won't always be able to fight his corner for him!

It all really depends on the context of what he done OP-if your son was say caught playing a game in class on his phone then the suspension and taking of his phone etc would be a bit uncalled for on the other hand if he was caught bullying another student then taking his phone etc would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I went to a talk by Dr Fergus Heffernan last week. Very interesting family clinical Psychologist

He said the generation we have just rared are in serious trouble, they've never been let make their own mistakes, be accountable for these mistakes and learn from these mistakes. Its always someone else fault. The end result is kids are unable to cope when they reach the real world.

I was suspended once, caught mitching with a few other lads, I can tell you it wasn't the bollocking I got while being 'interrogated' by the teachers that my father was concerned about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Can a teacher interrogate a student without parent's permission?

Yes, waterboarding is still permitted by the Department of Education without parental consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

OP, what do you want to happen based on what you're asking? If you find that the school had a procedure in place that they did not follow, are you hoping that your son will escape punishment for whatever he was involved in?

I must say, that would strike me as a very damaging lesson for your son to learn. Children need to learn that actions have consequences and not avoid those consequences because of a technicality.

The schools actions seem perfectly reasonable to me fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

canonball5 wrote: »
    OP, you're wasting your time posting something like this here as many of the replies will be by teachers in my opinion. There is no way they will do anything but defend the actions of the teachers in this situation. You're absolutely right to be annoyed with the school with what happened. I would never allow my child to be interrogated by an adult and certainly not by a teacher who is trusted to educate and not police or parent on your behalf, let alone take his / her private property off them.

We have all been through an Irish education system and know exactly what goes on in schools. I would be furious about not been told why they were calling you up to meet with them, whilst they have all the ''facts''.

You don't think teachers such deal with behaviour? Lol, how that work. Do you go in to the school and sit beside your chikd all day, in case he talks in class at a time he should be listening etc.?

OP you son in responible for his own actions and behaviour. Stop blaming the ring leaders, yhe ADHD, the teacher, the principal and anyone else. You said he used to be a good student. Find out what changed this. Yes teachers have not only a right but a responsibility to investigate incidents. They have other students to teach and protect, without your son and his cronies disrupting the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If there are child protection concerns then all bets are off regarding SOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Interrogate. What's the hyperbole for? Can a teacher/ principal ask questions in relation to an incident that occured which is serious enough to warrant a suspension?

Common sense would dictate, yes.

Doesn't mean your son has to answer. If you want I'd take a fair approach and tell the school you'd be open to sitting in on the meeting.

The fact your more concerned that he's being asked questions than the fact he's involved in a discipline situation is worrying.

Presumption of innocence etc prevails. However would you not want to work with the school and clarify what happened/ see if your son did indeed do something wrong to warrant suspension?

I'd be afraid that your son would see you are annoyed at him being questioned, and would see it as "mam/dad is on my side" therefore abstaining him from all responsibility for his actions. Too much of a blame culture. If your son did wrong, he has to learn actions have consequences.

Otherwise in ten years he'll be another mé féiner and lack accountability. "Well it's not my fault" in scenarios where he played a part. In the adult world, that doesn't wash, and many grown adults can't see themselves doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If fairness you don't know sh*t about what happened.
    And blaming the nipper instantly is bullsh*t, literally anything could've happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I went to a talk by Dr Fergus Heffernan last week. Very interesting family clinical Psychologist

He said the generation we have just rared are in serious trouble, they've never been let make their own mistakes, be accountable for these mistakes and learn from these mistakes. Its always someone else fault. The end result is kids are unable to cope when they reach the real world.

I was suspended once, caught mitching with a few other lads, I can tell you it wasn't the bollocking I got while being 'interrogated' by the teachers that my father was concerned about

Anyone that gets the opportunity to hear this guy, Dr Fergus Heffernan, speak should go without hesitation.
    All parents should listen to his own personal story and his concerns for the current generation.
    A real eye opener and also a great help on how to 'talk to' and 'help' teenagers open up and also for some parents to take a real look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Of course they can "interrogate" a student. By that I assume you mean simply ask questions? The school have no obligation to ask you if they can question your son, none at all. If he was involved in something serious enough to warrant a suspension then chances are he was acting up and needs a harsh lesson. Schools don't suspend or expel kids for throwing paper airplanes or forgetting homework. Suspension and explosion are normally reserved for very serious incidents (drugs, bullying, violence, criminal damage) and if you say he was involved, then he was involved. The fact that he has ADHD and wasn't the ringleader is irrelevant.

You sound like you are trying to make excuses for his behaviour and chances are, your son knows you well enough to know you will do this. Instead of seeking advice about how to approach your son about this, you start trying to point the blame at the school. Your son probably knows you will do this too. Kids are clever that way.

The best thing you can do is focus on disciplining your son. Take his phone, x box, stop his pocket money, whatever you think. If you're so quick to blame the school, the teachers, the ADHD, the ringleaders then your son will grow up thinking he can get away with anything and then you'll have a really serious problem on your hands. Do your son a huge favour and go hard on him now, really hard. He will probably thank you when he's older and wiser 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Afroshack wrote: »
    Of course they can "interrogate" a student.

The fact that he has ADHD and wasn't the ringleader is irrelevant.

You sound like you are trying to make excuses for his behaviour

The best thing you can do is focus on disciplining your son.

Nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Afroshack wrote: »
    Of course they can "interrogate" a student. By that I assume you mean simply ask questions? The school have no obligation to ask you if they can question your son, none at all. If he was involved in something serious enough to warrant a suspension then chances are he was acting up and needs a harsh lesson. Schools don't suspend or expel kids for throwing paper airplanes or forgetting homework. Suspension and explosion are normally reserved for very serious incidents (drugs, bullying, violence, criminal damage) and if you say he was involved, then he was involved. The fact that he has ADHD and wasn't the ringleader is irrelevant.

You sound like you are trying to make excuses for his behaviour and chances are, your son knows you well enough to know you will do this. Instead of seeking advice about how to approach your son about this, you start trying to point the blame at the school. Your son probably knows you will do this too. Kids are clever that way.

The best thing you can do is focus on disciplining your son. Take his phone, x box, stop his pocket money, whatever you think. If you're so quick to blame the school, the teachers, the ADHD, the ringleaders then your son will grow up thinking he can get away with anything and then you'll have a really serious problem on your hands. Do your son a huge favour and go hard on him now, really hard. He will probably thank you when he's older and wiser 😀

Explosion is a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Explosion is a bit harsh.

Not when I am principal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

This x 1000. Unless he took an axe to another student or was injecting heroin in Maths, it's highly unlikely he will be expelled. In any case, there is a plethora of ways to appeal an expulsion, weighted heavily on the side of the student.

Yes, 15 year olds know everything there is to know about how every school in the country runs, the same way they know about everything else. After leaving school, some people's expertise only deepens...

I would be furious about whatever it is the young fella has done. There could be 1000 students in that school, God knows what else the principal had to deal with that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you teach your child that they have no responsibility nor accountability for their actions then where is this leading society?
    Blame the teachers - yeah, or blame the school, or blame the government, blame anyone, it's not my child's fault.

Rock on 10 years when he's on his 99'th conviction and, horror, the judicial system has run out of lollipops to give him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Steve wrote: »
    If you teach your child that they have no responsibility nor accountability for their actions then where is this leading society?
    Blame the teachers - yeah, or blame the school, or blame the government, blame anyone, it's not my child's fault.

Rock on 10 years when he's on his 99'th conviction and, horror, the judicial system has run out of lollipops to give him..

criminality is actually extremely complex and our social systems can indeed cause and exacerbate the root causes of it

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

As I said OP, you're completely wasting your time asking this question in here. NOBODY should be allowed to interrogate your child without you present. If the Gardai wouldn't do it without you there why the hell does an egotistical teacher think they have the right.

If your child did wrong, I am sure they're aware of this and you need to ensure it won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

As I said OP, you're completely wasting your time asking this question in here. NOBODY should be allowed to interrogate your child without you present. If the Gardai wouldn't do it without you there why the hell does an egotistical teacher think they have the right.

If your child did wrong, I am sure they're aware of this and you need to ensure it won't happen again.

In that case sure the school may as well start a conveyor belt system of getting parents in to make sure their child is wrapped in cotton wool before teacher checks their side of the story.....

How do you know it was an egotistical teacher? It couldve been a 'shrinking violet with low self esteem and security issues' teacher. I suppose it could have been a narcisistic teacher. But then again, it couldve been a sociopathic teacher as well.
    Im not a teacher, but this new age idea where teachers have to be afraid of students and parents is turning my kids into fookin snowflakes. To say theyrenot allowed to question and fix problems with some autonomy is complete foolishnesd

How do you know it was an egotistical teacher? It couldve been a 'shrinking violet with low self esteem and security issues' teacher. I suppose it could have been a narcisistic teacher. But then again, it couldve been a sociopathic teacher as well.
    Im not a teacher, but this new age idea where teachers have to be afraid of students and parents is turning my kids into fookin snowflakes. To say theyrenot allowed to question and fix problems with some autonomy is complete foolishnesd

• Advertisement
Advertisement