Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan wedding- hotel/ venue

Options
  • 10-03-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Any vegans/ vegetarians out there who have held a wedding reception in Ireland? Would love advice or suggestions on venues you'd used?

Mod note to all: This is a contentious issue. But if you can't post in a polite, respectful and constructive manner, then don't post at all. There will be no tolerance for breach of this rule, and expect infractions and bans if you don't follow it.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not vegan myself, but had a higher than usual amount of veggies and a couple of vegans in attendance at my wedding a few years ago. They all pointed out how nice the food was, and that it made a change from the usual 'plate of pasta' that they often got a weddings. One of the vegans is a chef, and he was very impressed with his meal. I got married in the Glenview in Wicklow, and they were very helpful during the planning phase, there were plenty of options to choose from. We sampled the veggie option ourselves and they were really tasty. I'll see if I can pull out our old menu to see what we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 zaralynne

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Friend of mine works in Rathsallagh House and they would be more than happy to cater to a fully vegan wedding. TBH I'd say most wedding venues would more than happily do it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are you planning to only serve vegan food to your guests, or is it just that you yourself are a vegan? There's a big difference there, IMO. The second option means you can still choose pretty much any venue you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fartyarse wrote: »
    Friend of mine works in Rathsallagh House and they would be more than happy to cater to a fully vegan wedding. TBH I'd say most wedding venues would more than happily do it!

That sounds like a wedding I might skip. Not a fan off inviting people over and then forcing your beliefs on people.

When vegans go as guests they are offered a meal to their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Really? It wouldn't bother me if I went to vegan's home for dinner and they served vegan food. It's just food. I'd be inclined to think the same at a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

How many guests are you planning to have? Sova Vegan butcher, Dublin could hold 25 upstairs. A casual venue.

My sister and her husband are vegan. They had a regular menu for their guests and the chef catered for them with 2 delicious vegan meals in a local hotel. Would that be an option as a previous poster has suggested? it would definitely give you more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

ted1 wrote: »
    When vegans go as guests they are offered a meal to their beliefs.

Does being served vegan food make the meal incompatible with your beliefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That sounds like a wedding I might skip. Not a fan off inviting people over and then forcing your beliefs on people.

It's not like making you go to a church to be fair.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Its completely different. It a church it's the couple taking part in a religious ceremony not all the guests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

colm_mcm wrote: »

Its completely different. It a church it's the couple taking part in a religious ceremony not all the guests
    Unless you eat a diet exclusively of meat dairy and eggs, then you eat vegan food. Can you not go one meal without meat?

I've been to a vegetarian wedding before, no one actually had an issue with the quality or taste of the food they were served.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

GingerLily wrote: »
    Unless you eat a diet exclusively of meat dairy and eggs, then you eat vegan food. Can you not go one meal without meat?

I've been to a vegetarian wedding before, no one actually had an issue with the quality or taste of the food they were served.

Do vegan couples expect all guests to eat a vegan meal? That would be like inviting vegans to your wedding have no meal option for them.

I regularly have vegan and vegetarian meals and I also eat meat dairy and eggs. It's called having a varied diet.
    I do think the OP should be aware that there are a lot of irrational meat eaters that won't entertain the idea of a meal without meat! It's a bit childish really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I do think the OP should be aware that there are a lot of irrational meat eaters that won't entertain the idea of a meal without meat! It's a bit childish really.

I know from experience without meat in a meal, I tend to get hungry very quickly. Fruit and veg is great, but it doesnt really have to full 7-8 hours laters.

What exactly is childish? If the shoe was on the other foot ie a vegan or a vegetarian constantly hounding OP about ensuring the venue provided for their meal preferences that are not the norm, would you have referred to these individuals as childish? I doubt it. In fact most vegans or vegetarians I know make a massive deal about the fact they dont eat meat etc. They are the only irrational people I know around meat. I have seen tinder profiles, where people state they are vegan in it. Yet meat eaters are the irrational people about meat?

I know people go to a wedding to celebrate etc. But if I was taking the day off work (costing a partner and I about €150 each in foregone wages), paying €200 for a gift, plus driving etc. I least will want a meal that I will enjoy. If a wedding is costing me about €250 for the day, the least I want is a meal that I will eat and not have me in McDonalds in 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

we had my meal tasting night in january at the Millhouse and there was a bride there who was vegan and was saying they had a large veggie/vegan guest list and they had a huge selection to choose from and she said they were very accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

we had my meal tasting night in january at the Millhouse and there was a bride there who was vegan and was saying they had a large veggie/vegan guest list and they had a huge selection to choose from and she said they were very accommodating.

How do people achieve this. Having most of their guest list being vegan I mean. I know 2 vegans. They're married.
    Genuinely curious?
    Do they travel in packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I regularly have vegan and vegetarian meals and I also eat meat dairy and eggs. It's called having a varied diet.

So why can't vegans eat a meat meal if the couple aren't vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I know from experience without meat in a meal, I tend to get hungry very quickly. Fruit and veg is great, but it doesnt really have to full 7-8 hours laters.

What exactly is childish? If the shoe was on the other foot ie a vegan or a vegetarian constantly hounding OP about ensuring the venue provided for their meal preferences that are not the norm, would you have referred to these individuals as childish? I doubt it. In fact most vegans or vegetarians I know make a massive deal about the fact they dont eat meat etc. They are the only irrational people I know around meat. I have seen tinder profiles, where people state they are vegan in it. Yet meat eaters are the irrational people about meat?

I know people go to a wedding to celebrate etc. But if I was taking the day off work (costing a partner and I about €150 each in foregone wages), paying €200 for a gift, plus driving etc. I least will want a meal that I will enjoy. If a wedding is costing me about €250 for the day, the least I want is a meal that I will eat and not have me in McDonalds in 2 hours.

A meal without meat doe snot equal a proper vegan meal - it's this level of ignorance about vegan food that really annoys me. These people want to get married and at the same time don't want to contravene their beliefs about veg*ism so that's fair enough - they didn't ask for any muck savage bog trotter opinions on whether it's fair to put their guests through it. If you want to spend your life eating dead animals on the fast track to the multitude of known and proven illnesses associated with such practices then fine - however don't tell other people what to do when they haven't asked for any such obtuse, anachronistic, moronic crap.

Irrational? Vegans account for a small number of the population, particularly in Ireland, choosing a Vegan menu for 100% of the guests is irrational.

A meal without meat doe snot equal a proper vegan meal - it's this level of ignorance about vegan food that really annoys me. These people want to get married and at the same time don't want to contravene their beliefs about veg*ism so that's fair enough - they didn't ask for any muck savage bog trotter opinions on whether it's fair to put their guests through it. If you want to spend your life eating dead animals on the fast track to the multitude of known and proven illnesses associated with such practices then fine - however don't tell other people what to do when they haven't asked for any such obtuse, anachronistic, moronic crap.

Wow look at the state of you hollier than thou attitude.

Vegans like you really do make people that no that you are all loons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the point of the OP's post isn't to look for an opinion on vegan vs. meet. And catering for people who need meet etc.

Their looking for good vegan locations.

Mod note: henryporter and ted1 infracted.

This is a contentious issue. But if you can't post in a polite, respectful and constructive manner, then don't post at all. There will be no tolerance for breach of this rule, and expect infractions and bans if you don't follow it.

Irrational? Vegans account for a small number of the population, particularly in Ireland, choosing a Vegan menu for 100% of the guests is irrational.

You eat vegan food all the time, every day, you are aware of that?

You can if course decline the invite if you can't go a single meal without a bit of meat, seems incredibly drastic to me, but that's your choice.

You can if course decline the invite if you can't go a single meal without a bit of meat, seems incredibly drastic to me, but that's your choice.

Weddings are long, tiring, expensive days for the guests
    Be fair to your guests who have given their time and money to share your special day
    It's an important meal after a long morning. Everybody does be starving by the time the meal comes.
    A veggie/vegan meal won't go town well with a lot of people.

I don't eat vegan food everyday, some of the food I eat may also be eaten by vegans , but it isn't vegan food.

I was always told when doing presentation, sales, speeches, even submitting CVs that you should the room and audience and tailor your approach to it. I don't believe going vegan for all guests us a good idea.

Most places will offer a choice of menus that wool cover all guests, meat, fish, veg based meals etc.

Guests should be offered the Choice.

Mod note: Enough. Your personal views on veganism and vegan food are irrelevant. The OP is asking for an input regarding venues, not lifestyle choices. Let's assume none of you are invited to the OP's wedding, so it really doesn't matter if you'd attend due to food served or not.

OP, I can move this thread to the Vegan and Vegetarian forum if you'd like. You might have better responses there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

cursai wrote: »

How do people achieve this. Having most of their guest list being vegan I mean. I know 2 vegans. They're married.
    Genuinely curious?
    Do they travel in packs?
    People tend to have friends that share their values and have similar lifestyles. No big mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Might be very far away but I know there is a county house in Dingle that do vegans weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Have you tried Fallon & Byrne?

We had our wedding there... . when we were still eating meat but the vegetarian food was very good and the wedding planners there are extremely helpful and open to suggestions on the food.

As for your guests - I'd love to go a wedding which was in some way different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Check out the Slieve Aughty Center in County Galway.
    Gorgeous, quiet location and they also do cater vegetarian/vegans, they have a good bit of experience with it.
    Almost all of my guest list would be at least vegetarian, we had a good and long talk about that when we checked out the venue.

Advertisement