Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P10 and P10 Plus

Options
  • 04-03-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Time for an upgrade from my Xperia Z3, and I have to say, the Plus version of this is tempting me. I had been 100% holding out for the S8, but not so sure any more. Anybody got any thoughts or opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Time for an upgrade from my Xperia Z3, and I have to say, the Plus version of this is tempting me. I had been 100% holding out for the S8, but not so sure any more. Anybody got any thoughts or opinions?

My z3 contract ended in December, switched to sim only and waiting for the new flagships. Really liking the look of the P10+, edging ahead of the S8 for me because of the 3.5m headphone jack which is a must for me.

The only other phone turning my head is the Xperia XZ Premium but it might not hit the market until early May and I'd prefer get a new phone sooner, it looks like it will be crazy expensive as well. Specs are phenomenal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

My z3 contract ended in December, switched to sim only and waiting for the new flagships. Really liking the look of the P10+, edging ahead of the S8 for me because of the 3.5m headphone jack which is a must for me.

The only other phone turning my head is the Xperia XZ Premium but it might not hit the market until early May and I'd prefer get a new phone sooner, it looks like it will be crazy expensive as well. Specs are phenomenal as well.

Mines been up since June last year, and it's taken a lot for me to not change. I've loved the Z3, but I have to say I've been very underwhelmed by the XZ and Premium. The design hasn't shifted much, not that that impacts the performance. But the stats are very impressive, but I reckon the price will be a lot higher than the stats warrant.

And then there's the S8, which I reckon is gonna hit and surpass Apple for pricing, but will most likely be phenomenal.

I thought the S8 was pretty much confirmed as having a headphone jack?

Basil3 wrote: »

I thought the S8 was pretty much confirmed as having a headphone jack?
    I think you're right. It seems to be pretty much nailed on that the S8 will have a headphone jack. I'm just concerned about what it's going to cost, when you hear rumours that it's gonna be over 1,000 SIM free.

I think you're right. It seems to be pretty much nailed on that the S8 will have a headphone jack. I'm just concerned about what it's going to cost, when you hear rumours that it's gonna be over 1,000 SIM free.

You hear those rumours every year. I'd say it won't be insanely priced, especially after the stuff with the Note 7.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    You hear those rumours every year. I'd say it won't be insanely priced, especially after the stuff with the Note 7.
    This is true, and I suppose logically you would think they would want to incentivise people towards their new flagship. But you could also use the argument that they want to remind people that they are manufacturing a premium product, that can command a premium price. Either way, I suppose we'll know soon enough.

So Carphone Warehouse have a pre order page up:
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/huawei_p10_preorder
    The only thing is, when you click on the line, it directs you to the S7 Edge page. It is interesting to see that there is some free stuff being given. Not quite as nice as the Huawei Watch 2 that Spanish customers will be getting, but sitll. The Superfast car charger is 40 odd on its own.

Edit: Just as an addition, Vodafone UK have their pre order page up. Prices varying, but one being £10 up front, and £42 per month afterwards.

Just have an agent on webchat from three tell me that the prices should be €649 for the P10 and €699 for the P10+, so hopefully the Plus will be about the same upfront at the Mate9 and have a decent choice of colours.

Just have an agent on webchat from three tell me that the prices should be €649 for the P10 and €699 for the P10+, so hopefully the Plus will be about the same upfront at the Mate9 and have a decent choice of colours.
    Good to hear on the pricing. I wouldn't be too sure on the colours front though. I had spoken to a Huwaei rep, and they had said that only the black was going to be available here. And only the black and silver seem to be showing as pre order options on the Vodafone UK page. Maybe Carphone Warehouse will have a greater range of colours though.

Just pre-ordered online front three. Dispatch on April 4th so should have it on the 5th.

Went with the p10 after fiddling with a friends P9 plus and finding it way too big for my hands.

Works out at €549 for the phone on the €45 contract over the 2 years and that seems like a good deal to me (cost of plan for 24 months, minus cost of same sim only plan, plus upfront cost of phone on new contract).

Should also be getting the gift pack which includes a power bank so that will make up for any battery life fears I have.

• Advertisement

Just pre-ordered online front three. Dispatch on April 4th so should have it on the 5th.

Went with the p10 after fiddling with a friends P9 plus and finding it way too big for my hands.

Works out at €549 for the phone on the €45 contract over the 2 years and that seems like a good deal to me (cost of plan for 24 months, minus cost of same sim only plan,  plus upfront cost of phone on new contract).

Should also be getting the gift pack which includes a power bank so that will make up for any battery life fears I have.
    I'm between 2 minds as to what to do. P10 Plus is €229 upfront for me, which seems a bit steep to me. Wondering what the S8 will be upfront, seen as it's being tipped as €799 SIM free, and the P10 Plus is supposed to be €699 upfront, but 3 appear to have slapped a €50 surcharge on that for the craic. Wht to do, what to do.

I'm between 2 minds as to what to do. P10 Plus is €229 upfront for me, which seems a bit steep to me. Wondering what the S8 will be upfront, seen as it's being tipped as €799 SIM free, and the P10 Plus is supposed to be €699 upfront, but 3 appear to have slapped a €50 surcharge on that for the craic. Wht to do, what to do.

I ordered on the assumption that the S8 will be way more expensive.
    If the S8 is launched next week and it's not mad priced I can just send the p10 back when the courier arrives with it and order the S8.

I ordered on the assumption that the S8 will be way more expensive.
    If the S8 is launched next week and it's not mad priced I can just send the p10 back when the courier arrives with it and order the S8.
    Yeah, I seem to have accidentally pre ordered a Plus. Was going through the orders process to see how much I would have to pay today, and the page to confirm payment details was skipped, and I was advised the order was confirmed. No payment takne, and it's not due for delivery until 14th of April.

Yeah, I seem to have accidentally pre ordered a Plus. Was going through the orders process to see how much I would have to pay today, and the page to confirm payment details was skipped, and I was advised the order was confirmed. No payment takne, and it's not due for delivery until 14th of April.

They won't take a payment until on/after May 22nd according to the agent I spoke to, it will just be added to your bill for that month. But if you decide you don't want the phone between now and when it arrives you can just refuse to accept the delivery and it gets cancelled.

They won't take a payment until on/after May 22nd according to the agent I spoke to, it will just be added to your bill for that month. But if you decide you don't want the phone between now and when it arrives you can just refuse to accept the delivery and it gets cancelled.

Gives me a good chance to make a decision on the S8 so. I am slightly surprised at the price though. Was expecting it to be slightly closer to the Mate 9 price wise.

Gives me a good chance to make a decision on the S8 so. I am slightly surprised at the price though. Was expecting it to be slightly closer to the Mate 9 price wise.

Yeah the plus worked out very expensive but the normal p10 works out quite cheap on the €45 plan, which is weird. Nice bonus for pre-ordering today you should get the free gift pack which includes the 10000mAh power bank, a micro usb to type c adaptor, a selfie stick/tripod, an extra cable and a car chager, apparently worth about €150 and a nice little kit.

Yeah, I knew about that pack for a while alright, nice little bouns. The car charger is about €50 on it's own, if you can find one.

Works out at €549 for the phone on the €45 contract over the 2 years and that seems like a good deal to me (cost of plan for 24 months, minus cost of same sim only plan,  plus upfront cost of phone on new contract).

So just as a follow on to this one, I've just had confirmation from 3 that the P10 Plus being shipped here is the 128GB version, so they're actually charging less for it than the Huawei RRP which is supposed to be €799 SIM free.

So just as a follow on to this one, I've just had confirmation from 3 that the P10 Plus being shipped here is the 128GB version, so they're actually charging less for it than the Huawei RRP which is supposed to be €799 SIM free.

Ah nice. I'd nearly try switch now!

128gb version also has 6gb RAM.

Works out at €689 for the plus on the 45 per month contract over the 24 months. Bit of a bargain there.

Ah nice. I'd nearly try switch now!

128gb version also has 6gb RAM.

Works out at €689 for the plus on the 45 month contract over the 24 months. Bit of a bargain there.
    Absolute bargain. Delighted I pre ordered it now. The extra RAM and storage basically future proofs it for me. More RAM than I'll ever need, and a ridiculous amount of storage too. I just thought I'd spread the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I'm interested in the P10+ . Also interested in the LG G6, but I believe hasn't got a great spec for UK / Irish versions. Not a fan of Samsung to be honest. Currently have a 2 month old OnePlus 3t 128gb

Just phoned and switched my pre-order to the Plus. Will arrive next Monday/Tuesday.

Happy days, worth it for the extra €130 up front for the upgraded camera (2 x 20mp and f 1.8 instead of 12+20 and f 2.2) as well as the ram and storage boost and the bigger battery.

1jcdub wrote: »
    I'm interested in the P10+ . Also interested in the LG G6, but I believe hasn't got a great spec for UK / Irish versions. Not a fan of Samsung to be honest. Currently have a 2 month old OnePlus 3t 128gb

If I had a 3t I wouldn't bother buying anything else this year to be honest. Same specs (bar camera) to the G6, wouldn't be a mile off the P10plus performance wise either. The S8 with the new Snapdragon 835 will likely be a little above the kirin 960 on the Huawei phones but I expect it to be very expensive in this market.

Announcement from Samsung today should include launch date and rrp for the S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

If I had a 3t I wouldn't bother buying anything else this year to be honest. Same specs (bar camera) to the G6, wouldn't be a mile off the P10plus performance wise either. The S8 with the new Snapdragon 835 will likely be a little above the kirin 960 on the Huawei phones but I expect it to be very expensive in this market.

Announcement from Samsung today should include launch date and rrp for the S8.
    I have to do I do like the 3t, but don't love it. Battery life is excellent to be fair and it's similar to stock Android experience of my previous phone, a Nexus 6P. I think the camera is average at best. It's faster than the camera on the 6P but the picture isn't as good. I've 2 small kids and it's the camera a lot and I find the pictures taken with the 3t to leave colour and sharpness. The other never while I'm being picky is that OnePlus are very slow releasing the security updates. Not a big deal for most but I think their important.
    The camera on both the 10P+ and LG G6 are up there with the best of them IMO.

I have to do I do like the 3t, but don't love it. Battery life is excellent to be fair and it's similar to stock Android experience of my previous phone, a Nexus 6P. I think the camera is average at best. It's faster than the camera on the 6P but the picture isn't as good. I've 2 small kids and it's the camera a lot and I find the pictures taken with the 3t to leave colour and sharpness. The other never while I'm being picky is that OnePlus are very slow releasing the security updates. Not a big deal for most but I think their important.

I only pre-ordered because I want the "gift pack" that comes with it and I want a new phone sooner than later. Like I said, if the S8 is launched today and it's a similar price and looks amazing I might change my order.

I only pre-ordered because I want the "gift pack" that comes with it and I want a new phone sooner than later. Like I said, if the S8 is launched today and it's a similar price and looks amazing I might change my order.
    But the S8 launch is tomorrow, is it not? And unless I'm mistaken, the P10 Plus won't be shipping until 12/04.

But the S8 launch is tomorrow, is it not? And unless I'm mistaken, the P10 Plus won't be shipping until 12/04.

Ah ha, It is tomorrow, the 29th.

The pre-orders will ship on the 3rd so depending on where you live you'll get it next Monday/Tuesday.

Ah ha, It is tomorrow, the 29th.

The pre-orders will ship on the 3rd so depending on where you live you'll get it next Monday/Tuesday.
    I know the P10 is due to ship next week, but on my pre order email for the Plus, it said they were due to ship on 12/04. But if it is earlier than that, I'm not gonna complain.

Whoever I spoke to on the phone when changing my order told me pre-sales would be shipped on the 3rd.

• Advertisement

So the S8 is only €299...what to do, what to do...

Advertisement