Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Hey Guys, anybody have an up to date exam grid for constitutional? just looking for 2018 and 2019 - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Right, I'm just out of hopsital and going to tackle Contract next Wednesday which I haven't studied in a few weeks. I have a basic knowledge of the principles and know the cases well from offer, acceptance, consideration and a few other topics I suppose.

I'm treating the exam as a trial run but it would be great to get the 50. I think for me, the best means of doing it is 2 great answers (12-13 marks) and a decent amount of material on the other 3 questions, even if its lacking in detail.

What topics would people recommend doing / cutting?

What about consumer protection?

Thanks!

So an offer and acceptance problem obviously a dead cert for the first question. Consideration, consumer protection and remedies also always come up, sometimes alone in essays but often mixed in with problems qs.
    You should also focus on exclusion clauses, mistake, void contracts and discharge of obligations.
    Other than that misresresentation came up last sitting so you might be able to give that a miss. And I'd say there's no need to waste time on the formal requirements, privity, undue influence, duress, uncontionability or estoppel

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

how did people tackle the easement q in today’s property?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Equity

Anybody willing to share equity notes I am looking for secret trusts in particular. I have materials on other topics if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insta92

Sineaddh wrote: »
    how did people tackle the easement q in today’s property?

That question threw me off slightly as didn’t know whether to tackle it as acquisition of an easement or easement by prescription. I discussed the principals of Re Ellenborough Park, stated the easement of the right of way over the lands was implied as per Connell v O’Mahony. Referred to easement by prescription in relation to right to light and mentioned Annally Hotel v Bergin.

Definitely not the most straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Learnt Commorientes sitting on the floor outside the exam hall 10mins before the exam start, finally a stroke of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Learnt Commorientes sitting on the floor outside the exam hall 10mins before the exam start, finally a stroke of luck!!
    Did you have many cases for that? I only had one Re Kennedy and then threw a few severance cases in? Honestly could have failed that paper! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Is property fail rate high? I answered 5 questions but easements was so poor and had about a paragraph on intestacy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I just rewrote intestacy from the act and threw hotchpot in, can’t be much more to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Right, I'm just out of hopsital and going to tackle Contract next Wednesday which I haven't studied in a few weeks. I have a basic knowledge of the principles and know the cases well from offer, acceptance, consideration and a few other topics I suppose.

I'm treating the exam as a trial run but it would be great to get the 50. I think for me, the best means of doing it is 2 great answers (12-13 marks) and a decent amount of material on the other 3 questions, even if its lacking in detail.

What topics would people recommend doing / cutting?

What about consumer protection?

Thanks!

You should certainly do: offer, acceptance, consideration, certainty, exemption clauses, remedies, consumer protection, misrepresentation, discharge of contractual obligations, remedies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Suzannec

Anyone any tips for Constitutional questions that might appear? Panic is starting to setting in!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jackbergin777

Which question was the easement One?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Constitutional

What would you add to these topics?

1. Natural / Historical / Harmonious
    2. Attorney General
    3. Independence of Judiciary
    4. Separation of Powers
    5. Equality
    6. Expression
    7. General Family Q
    8. 42 A

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Did you have many cases for that? I only had one Re Kennedy and then threw a few severance cases in? Honestly could have failed that paper! :(

I did the commorientes question too and didn't have any cases - as far as I can recall it's been on the papers before and the examiner's report didn't require any! Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boppin

Any tips on the best way to study for equity?

I did the commorientes question too and didn't have any cases - as far as I can recall it's been on the papers before and the examiner's report didn't require any! Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you're grand.
    I didn't put the case law but there should be 2 Bradshaw v Toulmin and Re Kennedy and s.5(2) of the Succession Act 1965 but of course I could not remember so explained in my own words :(

Which question was the easement One?
    Q 6

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

What do we reckon for Criminal my good people?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Anything and everything , ah no, jokes aside. Be covered for sexual offences, non-fatal offences, offences against property, defences, insanity, homicide, bail, actus reus, mens rea and have a few points on common design.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Anything and everything , ah no, jokes aside. Be covered for sexual offences, non-fatal offences, offences against property, defences, insanity, homicide, bail, actus reus, mens rea and have a few points on common design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Criminal

I'm covering:

Sexual Offences
    Homicide
    Non Fatal
    Property Offences
    Defences
    Procedure - Bail/Arrest/Detention, Presumption of Innocence, Right to Silence
    Courts
    Classifications/Charactertistics
    Strict Liability
    AR
    MR

Don't think I could possibly learn anymore than that in 3 days! Might have a look at complicity and inchoate but I'll probably have to leave them out

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

EU

Is this enough?

Institutions
    Sources
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    FMG
    FMW Establishment, Services
    Citizenship
    JR

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

EU

Is this enough?

Institutions
    Sources
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    FMG
    FMW Establishment, Services
    Citizenship
    JR

I mean in theory it should be - but a part of me just feels the last 2 papers have been so kind, pass rates well in the 80s..it’s hard because looking back over papers you’d be covered but if he threw a stinker I just don’t know. Then to be fair since 2016 when he took over as examiner I can’t see anytime he really did that? So probably are covered - just would ensure you have member stare liability with direct effect

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Any bankers for Constitutional?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wallace123

Hi LawGirl, Hope all of your exams are going ok so far. Also worried that we are due a more difficult paper, and just wondering what topics you are covering for EU. Very best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Constitutional

2. Attorney General
    4. Separation of Powers
    5. Equality
    6. Expression
    7. General Family Q
    8. 42 A

Thanks

I'm generally the same as that. If anyone sees anything missing they think is NB please say. I do hope we can get 5 Qs, put a lot of work into Constitutional. Id like to burn my notes and books in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jack McCoy

Daly29 wrote: »
    I'm generally the same as that. If anyone sees anything missing they think is NB please say. I do hope we can get 5 Qs, put a lot of work into Constitutional. Id like to burn my notes and books in November.

Constitutional seems impossible to predict but I'm putting an emphasis on studying remedies (damage, retrospective effect, and suspended declarations). We might see the 2018 decisions filtering through in this paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Constitutional

2. Attorney General
    4. Separation of Powers
    5. Equality
    6. Expression
    7. General Family Q
    8. 42 A

Thanks

I’m the same as, are ye doing the Case note question?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Amanda226 wrote: »
    I’m the same as, are ye doing the Case note question?

Literally just scribling down now. I'll spend the next hour and a half jotting things down as a back up Q. I do know a small few reasonably well so with the majority judge name might be a decent effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

What chapter is independence of judiciary?? is that not separation of powers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement