Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

jewels652 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

For Those who are siting criminal law. I just want to make you aware that there is a very recent case, which was devised on Friday.
    Where the accused Ross Outram was found guilty of murder of a 90 year old pensioner Paddy Lyons.

The accused claimed he was acting in self defence but this was rejected.

That’s all the info I have if anybody can add to this please do as I would like to know more.

Oh thanks for that, there's articles on irish times etc about it when you google it. Said that the defence tried to say that his death wasn't a direct result of Outram's actions so could tie it into causation and then self defence too, so no reasonable grounds for belief that Outram honestly thought his actions were justified etc because of the pensioners disability and other circumstances

Would you reference it as DPP v Outram do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

For Company is it worth learning general powers and duties of Liquidators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

nimcdona wrote: »
    Would you reference it as DPP v Outram do you think?

I would just reference the "Outram case from March 2019" as it may not even be reported yet.

Anyone any thoughts on Easements for property with regards to the question likely to be asked etc, are people expecting a problem question or an essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

On an entirely separate issue:
    Weather warnings in place from tomo till Monday. Dublin set to be hit with snow.
    So travel could be disrupted for anyone travelling from particular areas .

I’m hoping weather will be ok! I’m traveling from Limerick early Monday morning for tort. Due to family commitments cannot travel Sunday night before. Ohhh the stress is unreal at this point! Knowing my luck I’ll be snowed in Monday morning when I try to leave my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm one Luas stop away from the Red Cow..never thought I'd be lucky to be stuck in the industrial heartland of West Dublin, to borrow some phrasing from my man Charleton J...

Yup, starting to lose it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Anyone any thoughts on Easements for property with regards to the question likely to be asked etc, are people expecting a problem question or an essay?

I’m hoping it’s a PQ with facts that are almost identical to Wong. That Q has come up many times before.

Really like easements. One of my favourite topics.

I’m hoping it’s a PQ with facts that are almost identical to Wong. That Q has come up many times before.

i'd definitely prefer a PQ too.

Oh you're lucky! Its probably my least favourite topic I'm doing but feel like its definitely going to come up

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

I'm one Luas stop away from the Red Cow..never thought I'd be lucky to be stuck in the industrial heartland of West Dublin, to borrow some phrasing from my man Charleton J...

Yup, starting to lose it :rolleyes:

I'm getting nervous now as I don't know why that's a Charleton reference :/

If you're only losing it now you've held it together better than most!

i'd definitely prefer a PQ too.

Oh you're lucky! Its probably my least favourite topic I'm doing but feel like its definitely going to come up

Last time it was a straight up essay so I'm somewhat expecting a problem but it could be either or.

I don't mind it too much as it's quite paint by numbers (4 ellenborough areas and apply and a little on prescription and you look good) but I think we'll all benefit from a problem as it'd be nearly the same approach as an essay but it would result in you getting more credit as supposedly problem questions show more ability to apply and understand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

I'm getting nervous now as I don't know why that's a Charleton reference :/

If you're only losing it now you've held it together better than most!

Think this was Lanigan v Barry it’s on nuisance, when determining nuisance consider the context or the surrounding environment.

Basically became a bit notorious because he compared industrial West Dublin with D4 in terms of what was acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Anyone here know if its possible and if so how likely one is to get an extension to the five year period once you pass all fe1's. I heard they were handing them out left right and centre during the recession. Just wondering how likely it is as it will influence me to sit my last exam now or in the next 18 to 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

Anyone know anything about the average pass rate of tort and anything about the examiner? The past papers lead me to believe they like switching it up a lot haha

Think this was Lanigan v Barry it’s on nuisance, when determining nuisance consider the context or the surrounding environment.

Basically became a bit notorious because he compared industrial West Dublin with D4 in terms of what was acceptable.

Haha thank you, Lanigan v Barry was building the go-kart track near the area that used to be non-built up was it?

Anyone know anything about the average pass rate of tort and anything about the examiner? The past papers lead me to believe they like switching it up a lot haha

65%-75% someone put up a screenshot the other day of all the rates, I had him in college and I wasn't a fan of either of the examiners (had them both). He likes to be unpredictable as he says in his reports that you need to cover the entire course and not take risks. He's big on using the right terminology and making sure you're advising your clients, not just writing an essay and then at the last moment wrapping up and referring to them!

Last time it was a straight up essay so I'm somewhat expecting a problem but it could be either or.

I don't mind it too much as it's quite paint by numbers (4 ellenborough areas and apply and a little on prescription and you look good) but I think we'll all benefit from a problem as it'd be nearly the same approach as an essay but it would result in you getting more credit as supposedly problem questions show more ability to apply and understand!

Yeah you're definitely right, I thought I was somewhat grand for property and then looked at easements there and genuinely couldn't remember half of it which is worrying

You're message calmed me down though it is pretty much the same straight forward application once you know the material I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

65%-75% someone put up a screenshot the other day of all the rates, I had him in college and I wasn't a fan of either of the examiners (had them both). He likes to be unpredictable as he says in his reports that you need to cover the entire course and not take risks. He's big on using the right terminology and making sure you're advising your clients, not just writing an essay and then at the last moment wrapping up and referring to them!

Strikes me as someone who thinks he's very clever and also fond of his own voice, trying to be careful and learn everything so my paper doesn't annoy him!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Doser

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what they are studying for EU law? If anybody had a grid it would be extremely helpful
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    Liability
    Free Movement of Goods
    Judicial Review
    Equality
    Institutions/Democratic Deficit
    Competition

Yeah you're definitely right, I thought I was somewhat grand for property and then looked at easements there and genuinely couldn't remember half of it which is worrying

You're message calmed me down though it is pretty much the same straight forward application once you know the material I guess

100%, don't stress, just compartmentalise it and it becomes clearer!

Speaking of property, S72 of the SOL for adverse possession is in relation to "mistake" they seem to allow exceptions and a delay on the timer like with disability, but in Murphy v Murphy being mistaken as to who owned the land was no excuse. What is mistake in this context so? Poorly drafted maps? Honest misinformation? Or was it a case that in Murphy they thought they shouldn't have made the mistake at all ?

jamesob123 wrote: »
    Strikes me as someone who thinks he's very clever and also fond of his own voice, trying to be careful and learn everything so my paper doesn't annoy him!

This is definitely true also. Nevertheless, much as he'd love to be as unpredictable as possible there are still core aspects of the course he can't avoid like Gen Neg, DoC, Causation, VL and then he has to pick some of the specific ones like Occupiers, Passing Off, Defamation, Employers Liability. That's what I'm counting on anyway, don't forget with 4 11s you only need an attempt at a final question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

This is definitely true also. Nevertheless, much as he'd love to be as unpredictable as possible there are still core aspects of the course he can't avoid like Gen Neg, DoC, Causation, VL and then he has to pick some of the specific ones like Occupiers, Passing Off, Defamation, Employers Liability. That's what I'm counting on anyway, don't forget with 4 11s you only need an attempt at a final question!

very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

I really hope for at least 3-4 questions on such core areas! I find the last paper was my perfect paper in terms of preference, so now I'm scared but as you say, it's important topics so he should put them up again logically, even if they repeat (just in a different form, different focus)... Plus there was no general negligence question last sitting either! So.

100%, don't stress, just compartmentalise it and it becomes clearer!

Speaking of property, S72 of the SOL for adverse possession is in relation to "mistake" they seem to allow exceptions and a delay on the timer like with disability, but in Murphy v Murphy being mistaken as to who owned the land was no excuse. What is mistake in this context so? Poorly drafted maps? Honest misinformation? Or was it a case that in Murphy they thought they shouldn't have made the mistake at all ?

I actually have no info on Murphy v murphy but it sounds similar to the case Palfrey v Palfrey where the son didn't know the land had been conveyed to him, but it was held to be insufficient for an action for recovery outside the limitation period.

And in my manual it says that a mistake as to where the true boundary lies, does not in general prevent the time from running against the dispossessed, so sounds like it could apply to Murphy case too maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

I actually have no info on Murphy v murphy but it sounds similar to the case Palfrey v Palfrey where the son didn't know the land had been conveyed to him, but it was held to be insufficient for an action for recovery outside the limitation period.

And in my manual it says that a mistake as to where the true boundary lies, does not in general prevent the time from running against the dispossessed, so sounds like it could apply to Murphy case too maybe?

The Mistake is on the mothers part; she did not execute her ownership rights over the land and as it was over the 12 yrs Son could claim AP even tho he thought it was soley his after buying out the brother. it all became clear on the death of the mother. the land was intially left to them in a 3 way spilt by their father.

lawless11 wrote: »
    I really hope for at least 3-4 questions on such core areas! I find the last paper was my perfect paper in terms of preference, so now I'm scared but as you say, it's important topics so he should put them up again logically, even if they repeat (just in a different form, different focus)... Plus there was no general negligence question last sitting either! So.

I felt the exact same, would have killed for that paper, so many of the cut and dry mechanical application areas. I'm not actually a huge fan of General Neg and the tracing of it as it's not as certain and concrete as say passing off / defamation where you just apply the law scientifically almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

I felt the exact same, would have killed for that paper, so many of the cut and dry mechanical application areas. I'm not actually a huge fan of General Neg and the tracing of it as it's not as certain and concrete as say passing off / defamation where you just apply the law scientifically almost.

I know, right :(. Now just curious what sort of statute-based questions we'll have (hopefully more than one! OLA, Defamation, Defective products... <3 )

Breacnua wrote: »
    The Mistake is on the mothers part; she did not execute her ownership rights over the land and as it was over the 12 yrs Son could claim AP even tho he thought it was soley his after buying out the brother. it all became clear on the death of the mother. the land was intially left to them in a 3 way spilt by their father.

I'm after looking up Palfrey and yea, different facts but similar concept!

That's how I understood it yea, but what would S 72 apply to so?

Also, for successive squatters, if in a problem question squatter A left and the place was empty and then squatter B moved in a month later, would the clock have reset or would it just have paused if the owner had not reasserted title?

lawless11 wrote: »
    I know, right :(. Now just curious what sort of statute-based questions we'll have (hopefully more than one! OLA, Defamation, Defective products... <3 )

I hate that PO, Occupiers and Def were all up last time :/ Defective products and even better shout as a result. I'm expecting Vicarious, Gen Neg / Causation as the more broad ones anyway. Then hopefully 2 of those statute based ones and then only 1 more from 4 needed! A trespass to land / nuisance / rylands so!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Hi, for Company I am doing the below but I think I am taking a big risk. Any advice on an easy topic/s with a decent shout of coming up? Think the boat has sailed on reforms for the Act. It's been 4 years in operation now. I should know the below to a decent level Tuesday, one or two I can bluff on might be needed. Thanks and good luck all!

Directors Duties (banking on a straight forward problem)
    SLP (banking on a straight forward essay)
    Disposition of Assets (hoping for a problem on advising a Liquidator on some dodgy transactions)
    Share Transfer (a simple problem refusing membership be nice)
    Section 212 Oppression
    Winding Up
    Restriction of Directors
    Crystalisation Events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TillyG

Hi All,

I am sitting FE1's in October. Contract, Property, Equity and either Criminal or Tort. Can anyone offer suggestions between Criminal and Tort?

Best of luck to all who are sitting exams at present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement