Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Don't worry, I had to pause slightly to interpret 'HTFU' in J's log. :pac:

Life regrets: I should have said HTFU and JFDI! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 10

Monday: 4x7mins threshold+, 2 mins recovery between each set, 5.15 miles total. Covered 0.90, 0.94, 0.91, and 0.90 miles in each of the 4 sets.
    Leg relatively ok.

Wednesday: 60mins very easy, 5.08miles at 11:49/mile. Leg still ok.

Thursday: 35 mins tempo, 5.01miles total. Covered 4.18 miles in the 35mins. Leg a bit sore the next day, could feel it when walking.

Friday: Had to get LSR done today as was heading to a wedding early the following morning. 120 mins easy. 11:51 miles at 10:26/mile. Leg still sore but never got worse during the run so I kept going. Bit sore next day but not too bad.

Ran again on Monday of this week, 2x20mins half marathon pace. Leg has been pretty sore since and I'm limping a bit. The pain is just getting worse the more I run so I'm now resting it again.
    I now have 2 options.
    1) Forget about the Rock n roll half marathon and just stop running for a couple of weeks til I've recovered.
    2) Give my leg a rest for the next week and a half and then just run the Rock n roll half marathon. The pain is usually worse the day after a run rather than during it so I'd probably manage the race ok. Would probably have to give my leg a few weeks recovery afterwards but I probably would've done that anyway.
    Decisions decisions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

HTFU came up when I was out with the club at the weekend, so confirmation it exists beyond the internet. Seemingly there is a coach who is a bit of drill sergeant (his name does not start with J, though ;)) and is known as HTFU. JFDI I've not yet heard in real life. :pac:

How are you legs now compared to training last year? Physio check up worth considering?

Last year I had no problems that a foam roller or sliotar couldn't sort out. The current leg situation is having none of that:mad: I'm reluctant to spend money on a physio at the moment as in the past they've always told me to rest from running. So I'd rather do that first and then resort to a physio if rest isn't enough.
    Leg just needs to HTFU and get better:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

HTFU came up when I was out with the club at the weekend, so confirmation it exists beyond the internet. Seemingly there is a coach who is a bit of drill sergeant (his name does not start with J, though ;)) and is known as HTFU. JFDI I've not yet heard in real life. :pac:

How are you legs now compared to training last year? Physio check up worth considering?

Hmmm....hope you don't have anyone from around these parts in mind? :confused:
    Last year I had no problems that a foam roller or sliotar couldn't sort out. The current leg situation is having none of that:mad: I'm reluctant to spend money on a physio at the moment as in the past they've always told me to rest from running. So I'd rather do that first and then resort to a physio if rest isn't enough.
    Leg just needs to HTFU and get better:pac:

Sorry to read of this C. I hear ya in relation to physios - spent a three figure sum over two visits to one before DCM 2016, thankfully haven't gone near one since, whether I "should have done" or not :rolleyes:

Best of luck with that leg and HTFU :D

• Advertisement

I suppose I should update this log, it's only been 4 months:eek::o
    Hasn't been a great few months for me and motivation for running has been at an all time low. Have been getting out a bit more lately though and last week was the first time in a long time that I got 4 runs done in a week. Not high mileage but 4 running days nonetheless.

Reluctantly signed up to Run in the Dark a couple of weeks ago as one of my aims for this year was to get a 10k PB and I hadn't even attempted it yet. My 10k PB of 51:22 was from November 2015 so I knew a PB should be within reach. It was a cold wet miserable evening and lack of preparation combined with a bad week for my family meant my head wasn't in it at all but thankfully got the PB (48:48 chip time, but my Garmin said 49:11. I'm not sure where they got that time from so I'm not sure what to say my 10k PB is now:rolleyes: Probably 49:08ish). Felt decent enough during the race, apart from a random nose bleed in the last km, but it wasn't bad enough to make me slow down or stop. Scarpered as soon as I finished the race and in the hurry I totally forgot to pick up a goody bag:(

Aim for the rest of the year is to get out as close to 4 times per week as possible. Would like to attempt a parkrun as I haven't raced 5k this year, but not sure that will happen.

Aim for 2018: DCM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good aims. :)

Welcome back! That was a wretched night for Run In The Dark, congrats on the PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It's good to have you back!

I've become so lazy with updating this log, need to get back into the habit.

The good news is, I'm back following a plan and training consistently. My plan is to get as fit as possible before starting DCM training, so that 9 min miles feel as comfortable as possible.

I've signed up for the Wexford half marathon which is late April, and following the same DCM graduates plan as last year as it worked well for me. Target time is 1:45. Last year they had 1:45 pacers so hopefully that's the case again this year and I'll try run with them. It'll be tough as my PB is 1:48:23.

Training is going well. Have been running my long easy runs faster than I used to as I think I was actually running them a bit too slow. Have increased my mileage a bit by doing longer warmups and cooldowns on session runs, something I was guilty of skipping in the past.

Did a parkrun yesterday as part of my long run and while I didn't get a PB (PB is 22:48 from May 2015) I was closer than I've been in a long time, with a time of 22:55. It's also only the second time ever that I've broken 23 mins, something I didn't even manage at the post DCM 2016 Jingle Bells 5k run! Determined to get that PB so planning to attempt another parkrun in two weeks or so.

So overall, motivation is at an all time high, for a change:D
    Hopefully I get all my runs done next week, the snowy weather that's apparently on the way makes running sound dangerous:eek:

• Advertisement

Wexford half marathon training week 6

Monday: 5x5 mins CV, 4 mins rec.
    CV pace for me is 7:26-7:36 per mile.

1.15 mile warmup
    5 CV reps were: 0.68miles, 0.68 miles, 0.71 miles, 0.71 miles, 0.71 miles.
    1.18mile cooldown

Found this one of the toughest runs on the plan so far. Only had time for a quick lunch so was pretty hungry so that probably didn't help.
    Was snowing lightly at the beginning but it stopped pretty quickly.

Hoping I get tomorrow evening's run done before the bad snow hits!:o

Nice - there are a few from around here doing the half. I'm also aiming for approx three minutes off my PB - it's good to aim high, right?!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nice - there are a few from around here doing the half. I'm also aiming for approx three minutes off my PB - it's good to aim high, right?!

Very true:) And sure we've loooads of time til race day to gain fitness:o

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy. 5.80 miles at 10:21 per mile. T'was baltic out there but only light snow showers every so often. Had the silly idea of running to Sandymount strand and back. That wind:eek:
    Got pointed and stared at by some woman in a car while I was waiting to cross a road, looked like she was straining her neck to stare at me, presumably cos I was wearing shorts outside in the cold. She got a right eyeballing back:D:rolleyes:
    My left heel now feels a bit sore. Must do some foam rolling. Will be glad of a rest day tomorrow.

Forecast Thursday...snow and serious eyeballing for those who doubt runners. :pac:

Thursday: planned run was 3x8mins Threshold, actual run was nothing due to snow:(
    My first missed run of the plan. Walked around my area at lunchtime but paths were fairly lethal so I knew there wasn't a hope of being able to run at threshold pace. Having sinus issues this week so wasn't feeling great so maybe for the best.

Saturday: planned run was 1hr45mins easy, actual run was 1hr45mins very very very very easy. 7.64 miles at 13:45/mile:o
    Paths still lethal, figured running on grass would be the safest bet. Drove out to Phoenix park, getting out of apartment complex (uphill) was interesting:eek: But main roads were ok. Saw a guy running on the road near Kilmainham, car in front obviously wasn't happy about it. As the car passed him (runner had moved onto the path by now), it swerved into the piles of snow at the side of the road and splashed the runner:rolleyes:
    The run in Phoenix park was surreal. Headed towards grass straight away but it soon got pretty deep. Was more than ankle deep in most places, which was very energy zapping to try and run through. Pace was ridiculously slow as a result. Moved onto Chesterfield avenue after a while but path wasn't in great condition so had to take it very easy. Slipped a few times but always stayed upright thankfully.
    Disappointing pace, but was happy to actually get the run done.

Not a great week overall. Started off well and would've been my highest weekly mileage in a long time if it weren't for the missed run and slow paced Saturday run.

Wexford half marathon training week 7

Monday: supposed to run but could not shift a lingering sinus infection and felt meh so decided to rest today instead of wednesday

Tuesday: 10 x 0.2 miles at 1 mile pace, 0.1 mile recovery.
    No idea what my 1 mile pace would be. Decided to try go very fast. Think I went a bit too fast at first as the majority of the session felt like I was being tortured.
    Times taken to do each 0.2 mile were 1:19, 1:20, 1:21, 1:24, 1:32, not sure as forgot to press lap, 1:20, 1:20, 1:21, 1:21.
    The 1:32 one had an uphill part so I'm blaming that.

1.5 miles warmup, 1.6 miles cooldown.

6 miles total

Wednesday: 60 mins very easy. 5.47 miles at 10:59/mile.
    Legs felt like lead for all of this.

Thursday: 4x8mins half marathon pace, 90sec recovery.
    Half marathon pace for my target time is 8 mins per mile so should cover 1 mile per 8 min section.
    Distances per 8min: 1.02, 1.02, 1.04, 1.03.
    Pretty much bang on, felt hard but ok, not sure about maintaining pace for 13.1 miles:eek:
    1.35miles warmup, 1.51 miles cooldown.
    7.3 miles total.

Saturday: 1:45:15 easy.
    11.00 miles, 9:34/mile.

First half was tough as uphill but downhill on the way back was much nicer.

Total week 7 mileage: 47.9km.

Wexford half marathon training week 8

Monday: 8x3 mins CV pace, 3 mins rec. CV pace should be 7:26-7:36/mile.
    1.35mile warmup
    Those 8 CV parts covered 0.40, 0.40, 0.41, 0.40, 0.40, 0.40, 0.42, 0.42 miles. Works out as slightly faster than CV pace.
    1.51 mile cooldown.
    7.85miles total

Tuesday: 60mins very easy at 10:55/mile. 5.50 miles.

Thursday: 30mins tempo. Tempo pace should be 8:10-8:22/mile.
    1.32 mile warmup
    30 mins tempo. 1st mile: 8:16, 2nd mile: 8:12, 3rd mile: 8:07. 0.67 miles: 5:24.
    1.32 mile cooldown.
    6.31 miles total.

Saturday: 70 mins easy. 7.35miles at 9:32/mile. Worst paced run ever. Slowest mile took 10:13, fastest was 9:08.

Total week 8 mileage 43.4km.

Wexford half marathon training week 9

Monday: 12x75sec CV, 1 min rec.
    1.40miles warmup
    12 CV parts covered 0.18, 0.19, 0.18, 0.18, 0.18, 0.18, 0.20, 0.19, 0.21, 0.19, 0.19, 0.19.
    Faster than CV pace but wanted to push myself a bit more.
    1.34 miles cooldown.
    5.87 miles total.

And just like that, it looks like all my hard work over the last few weeks was for nothing.

Was over half way through my long run yesterday, week 9 of 14 and what would've been my longest run of the plan, and I had a bad fall. There was a lot of blood. Face and hands are fairly cut up but my left knee was the worst. Had to get stitches in it. Can't bend my knee at all so I'm very immobile.
    Dr couldn't really tell me when I'd be able for running again. Dread to think how much fitness I'm going to lose:(

And just like that, it looks like all my hard work over the last few weeks was for nothing.

Was over half way through my long run yesterday, week 9 of 14 and what would've been my longest run of the plan, and I had a bad fall. There was a lot of blood. Face and hands are fairly cut up but my left knee was the worst. Had to get stitches in it. Can't bend my knee at all so I'm very immobile.
    Dr couldn't really tell me when I'd be able for running again. Dread to think how much fitness I'm going to lose:(

Oh, no. You must have gotten an awful fright - not to mention how sore you must be. You poor thing. Don’t worry about the fitness; it won’t go too far. Just concentrate on healing. Look after yourself.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, nearly went into a ditch recently myself. Sounds like you really went over, can imagine it was scary. We know from past posts around here that the body sometimes takes the worst of it. The wounds will ease, hope you're not too disheartened - don't worry about the fitness.

That sounds awful, but also it could have been a lot worse. The fitness will stay with you; you've a good bit built up the last while. Best of luck with the recovery, hope you're back in action very soon.

Thanks guys. Still fairly shocked about the whole thing. Seem to be getting worse rather than better, I've a lot of facial swelling now. Can't imagine ever running again at the moment.
    Hopefully in a few weeks time this is distant memory and I'll be back out there.
    Need to Google ways to maintain fitness without having to bend my knee :o

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

So sorry to hear about your fall. It will take a wee while to get over it both physically and mentally. Hope your recovery is swift and you will be back running soon. You won't be long about getting your fitness back up once you get back out again. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Oh god you poor thing! Must have been some shock. Really sorry to hear that. Hope you start feeling like yourself again soon.

Knee update, exactly 1 month after fall:
    Stitches were in for 2 weeks, during which time I was told not to bend the leg at all. When the stitches came out I was told not to bend it for another half week as the wound was still in danger of bursting open.
    So after 2.5 weeks I was finally allowed to bend my leg and walk normally again. Except I couldn't! The muscles in the leg had completely seized up! Gradually they started to come back to life and I could walk without a limp last week. So last Thursday I attempted my first run. Knee itself was fine but the muscles in my leg, mainly quads, were very sore so I couldn't go far. Have been attempting stretching and massaging since. Ran again Saturday, yesterday and today and the muscle pain is gradually getting less sore.
    My target race, Wexford half marathon is this Sunday:eek: I was hoping I could maybe still run it, just at a much slower pace, but after today's run I think realistically it isn't gonna happen.
    They also have a 10km distance at the same time so I might see if I'd be allowed to drop down to that distance and just run it very slowly.
    So disappointed. Have been back cycling to work this week and I can tell my fitness has plummeted. Not sure where I'm gonna go from here:o

It’s good to hear you’re back running. I wouldn’t worry about the fitness feeling a bit lacking; it will come back quickly. Maybe you can decide on a goal when you’re back running comfortably.

I understand your disappointment at missing the race you’ve trained for. Definitely do email and see if you can run the 10k.

See about the 10k. If it's the season, pick up some Wexford strawberries on the way home?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It's lousy having to go through all this, but it's great to hear that you're able to run again and that the pain is diminishing. It will all come back, and I bet it will start to pick up quicker too once you're over this initial hump of getting back into it. First week back is bound to be the hardest!
    Hope you can do the 10k and just enjoy soaking up the atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Fair play on getting back into action. The fitness will return I'm sure, it will take them especially with several weeks of complete inactivity.

Advertisement